The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Kyrsten Sinema leaving the Democratic party but will not be caucusing with the Republicans.

J70

Quote from: dec on December 09, 2022, 12:30:30 PM
Kyrsten Sinema leaving the Democratic party but will not be caucusing with the Republicans.

Doesn't really change anything, as the Dems will still have the majority in the committees and she wasn't exactly a reliable legislative vote anyway.

It does raise the question about her seat in 2024. I don't see a progressive type winning in AZ.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 01:19:40 PM

Doesn't really change anything, as the Dems will still have the majority in the committees and she wasn't exactly a reliable legislative vote anyway.

It does raise the question about her seat in 2024. I don't see a progressive type winning in AZ.

I used to laugh at the progressives foaming at the mouth about her and Joe Manchin

Joe Manchin, a Democrat, was able to win in a state that Trump carried by about 40 points

dec

Mark Kelly, a Democrat, has the other Arizona Senate seat. He is certainly not a Squad like liberal, but he is a reliable Democratic vote, unlike Sinema.

whitey

Quote from: dec on December 09, 2022, 01:44:34 PM
Mark Kelly, a Democrat, has the other Arizona Senate seat. He is certainly not a Squad like liberal, but he is a reliable Democratic vote, unlike Sinema.

If the Republicans had run a half way decent candidate they had a real chance to take that seat, but instead they picked another unelectable clown

Muck Savage

Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 09, 2022, 04:28:34 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 08, 2022, 11:40:42 PM
Not to mention, they're still trying to free him.

Some serious miserable bastards on this thread.  A young woman who did nothing wrong was held as a captive for almost a year in a Russian prison, will now be coming home. 

But for some people, that's apparently bad news and reflects poorly on Biden.

The price was high, but if that's the best deal available, then so be it.

I'm guessing had Trump done this the reaction from our right-wing posters would be different.

Would you not want to sit down at the poker table with whoever negotiated this deal? A criminal all over the world for a pot head!

I voted for Obama 1.0, a man that did absolutely nothing for black people, so yeah, you're right I must be right wing.

So she should have been left to rot in a Russian prison?

One wonders how the right wingers would be reacting if she had been some pretty, blond white tennis star or whatever?

They'd have been up in arms for months over the fact that the administration wasn't getting her home.

Do you believe this was a good deal? An arms dealer for a pot user?
The rest of them are left to rot in jail as you put it. If you don't believe there was any thoughts about checking multiple boxes in choosing to bring home, Sports star, Black, LGBT, then you are very naive. Great, an American is home but the price tag on every American traveling just went way up.

Instead anyone who questions it is right wing, racist, queer hating

whitey

I was just listening to Smerconish and he shared an interesting anecdote

He claimed that John Bolton (ie Trump) turned down a Bout for Whelan swap when he was in office

RedHand88

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2022, 03:30:36 PM
I was just listening to Smerconish and he shared an interesting anecdote

He claimed that John Bolton (ie Trump) turned down a Bout for Whelan swap when he was in office

He's right. I don't think anyone should have be swapped for someone who's nickname is "Merchant of Death". In the discussion about who should have been sent from the Russian side not enough has been made of the fact Bout is now free.

But this swap plays well in key demographics for Democrats, which I suppose is why it was made. They are thinking of 2024.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Taylor on December 09, 2022, 08:37:11 AM
Why the hate for the Griner from those here that live in the US?
Is there more to her story than meets the eye?

she's a black woman - that's it.

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 09, 2022, 04:07:13 PM

No that's no "it"

Shes someone who "disrespected the flag and the national anthem" and by default disrespected the country

Many on the right would say, well if you think it's so bad here why don't you move somewhere you think is better

They were actually rejoicing in her getting locked up and would  have had a similar viewpoint if she were white and did the same thing

lenny

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2022, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 09, 2022, 04:07:13 PM

No that's no "it"

Shes someone who "disrespected the flag and the national anthem" and by default disrespected the country

Many on the right would say, well if you think it's so bad here why don't you move somewhere you think is better

They were actually rejoicing in her getting locked up and would  have had a similar viewpoint if she were white and did the same thing

Right wingers condemn her for disrespecting the flag but have absolutely no problem with a far right extremist tying to overturn a fair and democratic election with an attempted coup. The hypocrisy is staggering.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2022, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 01:19:40 PM

I used to laugh at the progressives foaming at the mouth about her and Joe Manchin

Joe Manchin, a Democrat, was able to win in a state that Trump carried by about 40 points

I absolutely agree. It's insane.

The alternative to Joe Manchin is Senator Cletus von Suck Trump's dick and Mitch McConnell as Majority Leader. A place like WV is not sending a liberal to DC.

The people who chased Sinema into the bathroom harassing her are complete morons with no connection to reality.

J70

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 09, 2022, 02:59:53 PM

Some serious miserable bastards on this thread.  A young woman who did nothing wrong was held as a captive for almost a year in a Russian prison, will now be coming home. 

I'm guessing had Trump done this the reaction from our right-wing posters would be different.

Would you not want to sit down at the poker table with whoever negotiated this deal? A criminal all over the world for a pot head!

I voted for Obama 1.0, a man that did absolutely nothing for black people, so yeah, you're right I must be right wing.

One wonders how the right wingers would be reacting if she had been some pretty, blond white tennis star or whatever?

They'd have been up in arms for months over the fact that the administration wasn't getting her home.

The rest of them are left to rot in jail as you put it. If you don't believe there was any thoughts about checking multiple boxes in choosing to bring home, Sports star, Black, LGBT, then you are very naive. Great, an American is home but the price tag on every American traveling just went way up.

How are you going to get a "good" deal in a situation like this?

They were negotiating for months to try to get both of them.

It was either let them both rot over there or take Griner for now.

I stand by my contention about if it had been a pretty white girl. You only have to look at the contrasting coverage given when some young one goes missing. Biden would have been hammered nightly on it.

Wildweasel74

Just to note, nobody disrespected the USA more than the former President, Donald Trump.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 09, 2022, 02:59:53 PM

How are you going to get a "good" deal in a situation like this?

They were negotiating for months to try to get both of them.

It was either let them both rot over there or take Griner for now.

I stand by my contention about if it had been a pretty white girl. You only have to look at the contrasting coverage given when some young one goes missing. Biden would have been hammered nightly on it.
so  BLM are nowhere to be seen if a black girl goes missing your telling us ? Probably no chance to riot and loot or scam money off suckers in those circumstances.