Player Opt outs for 2020 season

Started by rodney trotter, November 15, 2019, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Fair enough, suppose it's a fair attraction for them on reflection . I was just thinking it might be more when you hear lads saying how much they made over there laboring in the mines etc . My main point was I'd like to see more done to reward county players for their efforts without making the game pro or semi pro even .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rodney trotter

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 07, 2020, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 07, 2020, 04:49:53 PM
Ray Connellan Westmeath footballer who played in the AFL.

The number of players going to Aus is a drop in the ocean compared to players dropping themselves off county panels. I'd be far more concerned with why lads are choosing not to play rather than the few that get picked to go abroad. Real problem is a lot closer to home.

The thing is that those playing AFL
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 02:43:41 PM
Tadhg Kennelly has said he expects McShane to be with Tyrone this year as it is too late to register him for the upcoming AFL season.

I'd be a bit skeptical about Kennelly on this - McShane would be signing the standard Category B international rookie contract and I've read that those can be signed at any stage of the season.

In fairness Kennelly would know he talking about. He explained on OTB if he was to be signed as International Rookie he would go into the draft system which doesn't take place until July. There would be no point for McShane waiting to be in a draft. He will go back on October if he impresses in the trial

general

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 08, 2020, 04:41:05 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on January 07, 2020, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 07, 2020, 04:49:53 PM
Ray Connellan Westmeath footballer who played in the AFL.

The number of players going to Aus is a drop in the ocean compared to players dropping themselves off county panels. I'd be far more concerned with why lads are choosing not to play rather than the few that get picked to go abroad. Real problem is a lot closer to home.

If he impresses in the trial, and is told that he can go over Full time contract basis in October i'd doubt he will play for Tyrone and jeopardize his full time offer. Its a long year and easily injured

The thing is that those playing AFL
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 02:43:41 PM
Tadhg Kennelly has said he expects McShane to be with Tyrone this year as it is too late to register him for the upcoming AFL season.

I'd be a bit skeptical about Kennelly on this - McShane would be signing the standard Category B international rookie contract and I've read that those can be signed at any stage of the season.

In fairness Kennelly would know he talking about. He explained on OTB if he was to be signed as International Rookie he would go into the draft system which doesn't take place until July. There would be no point for McShane waiting to be in a draft. He will go back on October if he impresses in the trial

JoG2

Category B rookies (which includes International players) are not in the draft system, recruited directly by the clubs according to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JoG2 on January 08, 2020, 04:53:19 PM
Category B rookies (which includes International players) are not in the draft system, recruited directly by the clubs according to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list

This is the type of contract we can assume McShane is being assigned to, if the clubs involved don't have any of these type already it's a relatively straightforward process and he can be registered mid season to play AFL. If he's good enough and he signs, he'll be playing AFL this season. Think Kennelly is hiding behind a bit of red tape that he knows is easy enough cut.

twohands!!!

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 08, 2020, 04:08:42 PM

As for McShane....someone saying $80k is that all it's worth.....take a trip up to Garvaghy any evening over the next month or two.....Brisbane or Adelaide plus about £40k training maybe 90 mins a day would be very hard to find a reason to stay. It's not even a decision for the lad, he'd be insane to turn it down.

The base rookie contract is worth AUD 80k.
There's also a few quid more in various allowances, perks (4 return flights to Ireland a year) and bonuses (for making first team appearances)
The average wage in the AFL in 2018 was AUD 362,471 or around €225k.
In 2018 there were 6 players who earned over a million AUD for the year - around €620k
Someone I was talking to who follows AFL fairly closely said Zach Tuohy will probably have earned close to (if not over) a million Euro given the length of his career (signed a rookie contract in 2010) That's without being any sort of superstar, more a middle-of-the-road decent career. He's played 186 games in 9 years.

The main reason more Irish have gone to OZ lately is that the wages on offer have skyrocketed in the last few years - in 2012 the rookie contract was AUD 41,400 compared to AUD 80,000 this year.
The minimum any of the Irish players who signed an international Category B 2 year contract for 2020 and 2021 will earn is AUD 188,533 or € 116,386 plus 8 return flights to Ireland.
The flow of players isn't going to stop any time soon.

rosnarun

while its tough to watch players of  McShane's Quality being lost to the Gaa , and I was righlt pissed off hearing mattie ruane was doing well in the trials, over all I think the link is very good gfor the GAA.

if a young lad can see the GAA as a way of fulfilling both a travel and fulltime sport desire it will encourage people to keep playing and taking Football Seriously  in that high loss area of 19-22 age group,
and lets face it only the top 1% or so are actually going to be offered a spot any way and most will only stay a few years any way and as likely as not come back better players  .

As Ray connellan says far more players are lost to disinterest  than to AFL anyway ,

I think its a case of Omelets and eggs
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GetOverTheBar

The above is a very fair post Rosnarun.

The amount of talent lost in the GAA to whatever vice you want to throw out there is monstrous compared to say 19 odd players over in Oz.

larryin89

Quote from: rosnarun on January 10, 2020, 10:21:43 AM
while its tough to watch players of  McShane's Quality being lost to the Gaa , and I was righlt pissed off hearing mattie ruane was doing well in the trials, over all I think the link is very good gfor the GAA.

if a young lad can see the GAA as a way of fulfilling both a travel and fulltime sport desire it will encourage people to keep playing and taking Football Seriously  in that high loss area of 19-22 age group,
and lets face it only the top 1% or so are actually going to be offered a spot any way and most will only stay a few years any way and as likely as not come back better players  .

As Ray connellan says far more players are lost to disinterest  than to AFL anyway ,

I think its a case of Omelets and eggs

Fair point , still doesn't stop my selfish mayo supporters head saying Pearce Hanley would of made the difference, js
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rodney trotter

P addy McBrearty missing the League and potentially the whole year. He's setting up a business in the US.

Tyrdub

Cluxton , MDMA and DC all confirmed for the year

Hound

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 10, 2020, 12:56:47 PM
Good news. Although it seems Clucko will miss a good chunk of the league recovering from a shoulder op.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 10, 2020, 12:18:40 PM
P addy McBrearty missing the League and potentially the whole year. He's setting up a business in the US.

What does he do ?

Tyrdub

Quote from: Hound on January 10, 2020, 02:31:19 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 10, 2020, 12:56:47 PM
Good news. Although it seems Clucko will miss a good chunk of the league recovering from a shoulder op.

No bad thing, give Evan Comerford some game time

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Kingdom37 on January 19, 2020, 03:36:24 PM
Young McDonagh gone from Mayo panel.

He was a good player too, what happened there?