Derry 1993 - 25 years on

Started by ONeill, August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

theticklemister

I was 10 years of age at the time. Me, me da, cousin and uncle had tickets for the hill. It was jammed, fecking packed. I got separted from me da as everyone was getting squashed, I then had to got 'crowd-surfed' across the hill to my da's arms. We all left for safety concenrs.

Ventured to the bars outside to watch the game, all bars were shut. mind me da and my uncle banging the windows of abar to open, it opened, we watched the game and won.

Remember sitting on the kerb after the final waving me wee flag, thinking what all the fuss was all about.

shark

Quote from: theticklemister on August 17, 2018, 02:06:08 PM
I was 10 years of age at the time. Me, me da, cousin and uncle had tickets for the hill. It was jammed, fecking packed. I got separted from me da as everyone was getting squashed, I then had to got 'crowd-surfed' across the hill to my da's arms. We all left for safety concenrs.

Ventured to the bars outside to watch the game, all bars were shut. mind me da and my uncle banging the windows of abar to open, it opened, we watched the game and won.

Remember sitting on the kerb after the final waving me wee flag, thinking what all the fuss was all about.

Hardly a day for a 10 year old on the hill anyway - absolutely pelting down. Cork scored 2 great goals, Derry scored a shite goal. Derry were great, Cork were shite. Tony Davis sent off for a reckless tackle that never took place.

Your comment about thinking what was all the fuss about is interesting as Brolly has said he had the same feeling not long after the game. Which is strange.

Estimator

After the disappointment of '91 and '92, I was hoping for something better in '93. The stepping stones of the previous years defeats to Down after a replay and Donegal in the Ulster final were there. At the time there seemed to be a decent level of optimism in the county.  I was only 14 at the time, but listening to people who had attended games for many years, this was the year that they were actually going to do something.  There was excellent mix of youth from the '89 & '90 minor teams plus Scullion, McGilligan, Gormley, etc.

I was lucky enough to get to all Derry's championship games that year. We managed to win the whole thing playing fewer games (5) in the Championship than Armagh (6), and they only reached the Ulster Semi-Final (3 draws – Fermanagh, Tyrone and Donegal).

We played Down in the Marshes.  Tohill was awesome, Burnsy scored an excellent volley, Cassidy scored 3 or 4 super points from play.  I think it was John Kelly that was sent off for Down, attempting to box a couple of Derry players.  Tommy Sugrue reffed the game, the first time a non-Ulster man took charge of an Ulster Championship match.

The semi-final against Monaghan in Casement never really sparked to life, Derry were poor in the first half, but Brolly and McCormick injected a bit of life into the game in the second half and we ran out easy winners in the end.  That game was the beginning of the end of Danny Quinn's inter county career, he was subsequently dropped for the Ulster Final.  He made a comeback in the AISF, but didn't make it to half time.

The Ulster Final was a mud-bath, should never have been played.  Tyrone won the minor game – I think Dooher and Cavlan were playing that day.  Cathal Scullion broke his leg in that match.  The senior final was arm wrestle in the conditions.  Memorable points from Cassidy and Tohill's free, plus the superb block by Scullion.  Manus Boyle got the line late in the game.  The pitch was an absolute mess in the aftermath of that. The defeat in the previous years final was forgotten.

The All-Ireland Semi-Final was unreal.  It was my first time in the Canal End.  I'd been to Croke Park previously for the NFL semi final and Final in '92, both times in the Hogan Stand.  Derry got off to an excellent start, but then the Dubs took over. Danny Quinn got the shepherds crook before half time as Vinnie Murphy was running riot.  A solitary Dub fan was close to our position in the Canal and he was doing some slabbering about the Dubs – suffice to say he disappeared in the second half.
It was an excellent comeback – the half back line supplied 4 points in the second half, Downey with 2, Coleman 1 and McGurk with his famous winner.  Brolly was immense that second half, a lot of ball was kicked in that direction and he had the pace to get out in front and win it.  On the pitch after the game was mental – I think that people were more emotional after the semi final than the final – Not sure why.. maybe the relief of actually living to see the county get to the All-Ireland Final.  It was 35 years since our first appearance in '58.
Strangely, I think Charlie Redmond was given MoTM by the Sunday Game that evening.

I remember all the talk of hunting for tickets in the weeks before the match, and how difficult they would be to get.  It actually wasn't the case for myself. The evening the club were giving out tickets, I walked in as an U14 playing member of the club, I give my name and was handed a ticket for the Hill.  I doubt if U14 club players in Dublin and Tyrone will be able to do that for this years final.

As we headed towards the Hill, my younger brother dropped his ticket and it blew away in the wind, thankfully it was stopped by a set of railings as we all raced after it.  Though, from the crowds in both terraces, something tells me that tickets weren't actually needed. 

The Hill was packed – not as packed as the Canal End, which spilled out on the pitch, could easily have been a very serious incident.

Cork got off to a flyer, Tony Davis with the opening point, followed by Kavanagh's goal which should have been saved by McCusker.  Cahalane boxed Gormley, then was involved in the tackle on Heaney which Tommy Howard saw fit to send off Tony Davis. Downey's goal was a fantastic piece of FF work, following the ball in. I didn't think we would lose the game after that.  Even after O'Driscoll's goal, made by a fantastic Don Davis pass, I thought we were always going to win.  Again the celebrations on the pitch were fantastic.  They continue the following night in Maghera, and then every other town in the county.

I remember thinking as a 14 year old that I've witnessed Derry win a couple of Ulster Championships, an NFL title and an All-Ireland Title and believing that it was gonna be like this all the time. 

A few older cynics said that we might never win it again... 25 years later, I am starting to come round to the fact that they could be right...
Ulster League Champions 2009

BennyCake

"Cahalane should have went" - Eamon Coleman

Don Davis' sublime pass to John O'Driscoll who scored a beauty of a goal.

Gormley clocked. Then wagging the finger at Cahalane.

APM

Just watched the highlights on youtube there!!  Those were heady days.  I don't think people under the age of 40, or people from the south realised what those wins from 91-94 meant to people in the north.

J70

Quote from: ONeill on August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM
Memories?

Players aquaplaning in the Clones quagmire like it was a slip'n'slide.

Except for Anthony Tohill.

Shamrock Shore

"Colin Corkery - a deceptive type of player.

He's slower than he looks"

theticklemister

Quote from: Estimator on August 17, 2018, 04:26:47 PM
After the disappointment of '91 and '92, I was hoping for something better in '93. The stepping stones of the previous years defeats to Down after a replay and Donegal in the Ulster final were there. At the time there seemed to be a decent level of optimism in the county.  I was only 14 at the time, but listening to people who had attended games for many years, this was the year that they were actually going to do something.  There was excellent mix of youth from the '89 & '90 minor teams plus Scullion, McGilligan, Gormley, etc.

I was lucky enough to get to all Derry's championship games that year. We managed to win the whole thing playing fewer games (5) in the Championship than Armagh (6), and they only reached the Ulster Semi-Final (3 draws – Fermanagh, Tyrone and Donegal).

We played Down in the Marshes.  Tohill was awesome, Burnsy scored an excellent volley, Cassidy scored 3 or 4 super points from play.  I think it was John Kelly that was sent off for Down, attempting to box a couple of Derry players.  Tommy Sugrue reffed the game, the first time a non-Ulster man took charge of an Ulster Championship match.

The semi-final against Monaghan in Casement never really sparked to life, Derry were poor in the first half, but Brolly and McCormick injected a bit of life into the game in the second half and we ran out easy winners in the end.  That game was the beginning of the end of Danny Quinn's inter county career, he was subsequently dropped for the Ulster Final.  He made a comeback in the AISF, but didn't make it to half time.

The Ulster Final was a mud-bath, should never have been played.  Tyrone won the minor game – I think Dooher and Cavlan were playing that day.  Johnny McBride broke his leg in that match.  The senior final was arm wrestle in the conditions.  Memorable points from Cassidy and Tohill's free, plus the superb block by Scullion.  Manus Boyle got the line late in the game.  The pitch was an absolute mess in the aftermath of that. The defeat in the previous years final was forgotten.

The All-Ireland Semi-Final was unreal.  It was my first time in the Canal End.  I'd been to Croke Park previously for the NFL semi final and Final in '92, both times in the Hogan Stand.  Derry got off to an excellent start, but then the Dubs took over. Danny Quinn got the shepherds crook before half time as Vinnie Murphy was running riot.  A solitary Dub fan was close to our position in the Canal and he was doing some slabbering about the Dubs – suffice to say he disappeared in the second half.
It was an excellent comeback – the half back line supplied 4 points in the second half, Downey with 2, Coleman 1 and McGurk with his famous winner.  Brolly was immense that second half, a lot of ball was kicked in that direction and he had the pace to get out in front and win it.  On the pitch after the game was mental – I think that people were more emotional after the semi final than the final – Not sure why.. maybe the relief of actually living to see the county get to the All-Ireland Final.  It was 35 years since our first appearance in '58.
Strangely, I think Charlie Redmond was given MoTM by the Sunday Game that evening.

I remember all the talk of hunting for tickets in the weeks before the match, and how difficult they would be to get.  It actually wasn't the case for myself. The evening the club were giving out tickets, I walked in as an U14 playing member of the club, I give my name and was handed a ticket for the Hill.  I doubt if U14 club players in Dublin and Tyrone will be able to do that for this years final.

As we headed towards the Hill, my younger brother dropped his ticket and it blew away in the wind, thankfully it was stopped by a set of railings as we all raced after it.  Though, from the crowds in both terraces, something tells me that tickets weren't actually needed. 

The Hill was packed – not as packed as the Canal End, which spilled out on the pitch, could easily have been a very serious incident.

Cork got off to a flyer, Tony Davis with the opening point, followed by Kavanagh's goal which should have been saved by McCusker.  Cahalane boxed Gormley, then was involved in the tackle on Heaney which Tommy Howard saw fit to send off Tony Davis. Downey's goal was a fantastic piece of FF work, following the ball in. I didn't think we would lose the game after that.  Even after O'Driscoll's goal, made by a fantastic Don Davis pass, I thought we were always going to win.  Again the celebrations on the pitch were fantastic.  They continue the following night in Maghera, and then every other town in the county.

I remember thinking as a 14 year old that I've witnessed Derry win a couple of Ulster Championships, an NFL title and an All-Ireland Title and believing that it was gonna be like this all the time. 

A few older cynics said that we might never win it again... 25 years later, I am starting to come round to the fact that they could be right...

Great memories there estimator

Erne Man

Damien Cassidys great score in Ulster Final in brutal conditions.
Semi v Dublin was a cracking game - Tohill and Henry Downey were superb for Derry. Jonny McBrides winner was some kick.

Showing my age, but the 90's was a great decade - 3 different winners from Ulster.  Dubs, Meath and Kildare battling it out in Leinster, along with a breakthrough for Offaly - Kerry and Cork splitting the honours in Munster, and similar in Connacht.
7 different All Ireland winners as well?

BennyCake

Johnny McGurk got the winner v Dublin. McBride was later.

8 AI winners in the 1990's. We'll never see that again.

tintin25

Loved heading to matches in the 90's with my father.  Obviously wasn't too much success where my own county (Fermanagh) was involved, but can remember heading to plenty of Ulster Championship games in that 92-95 period.  Pretty sure I went to all the Derry games in 1993 bar the final and similarly with Down in 1994.  I doubt too many neutrals would take in as many games these days.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Some men been drinking on this thread.
Cathal Scullion broke his leg in the Ulster minor final and Johnny mcgurk hit the winner against the dubs.

My memories
Down game was a lot tighter than most remember; only two in it at half time, but deserved winners.
Monaghan was comfortable, though Gerry mone gave big Danny a torrid time. Loved watching games from the grassy banks of casement.
Donegal far closer that it should have been; a dry day would have had ten points between the sides.
Dublin was the big one; felt better after it than after the final. Love Gormley's point that has been tweeted a million times in the last year. Every club member got at least two tickets; mine were middle of the Hogan.
Final was an anti-climax, knew we would win it. Most emotional part was the anthem before the game, At the final with my father watching our club mates reaching the pinnacle of Gaelic football, knowing that he had soldiered on for his club for the guts of 20 years when a Derry junior championship medal and an intact face were the height of realistic ambitions. And his brother coming home from England to watch the game. Every club member got at least two tickets; I was perched upper deck Cusack, on the half way line.
The week after was magnificent; booked it off from my workplace in east Belfast. Monday in Maghera, Wednesday for the Goal game in Bellaghy, various other random locations. Can't really remember it all. Returning to work and everyone of my colleagues had been introduced to Gaelic football and loved it.
Everyone talks about the higher profile members of that squad, but Dermot Heaney is probably the most under-rated footballer ever.
Playing Club football that year and playing against or alongside every member of that squad. Lavey ruined her though on St Stephen's Day.

Over the Bar

The GAA bringing Derry v Donegal to newly laid Clones after weeks of wet weather was a disgrace. Lucky men didn't break legs.