2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Jesus Ballyroan don't get too excited yet the big tests still have to come against the teams around us. Wasn't at the game yesterday but job done I suppose 4from4 now albeit we have probably played the four worst teams in the country. Antrim next week may be a banana skin but if we play we should beat them .Then a trip to London ye don't really know what to expect over there. Lastly then the toughest one down in Carkow and you can be sure those f**kers would love to bate us.

redsetanta

If we beat Antrim and London we're promoted so doesn't matter what happens in Carlow and we most probably be playing them in Croke Park in Div final.

As someone else said the standard is poor in this division so if a county has any aspirations they get out of there.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Butch Cassidy

We owe Antrim one after that championship defeat a few years ago. There'll be a big crowd Sunday with it being a double header (if the snow is gone by then). Any update on injuries to Quigley, Attride, Timmons, Murphy and Booth?

Don Draper

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on February 26, 2018, 02:09:38 PM
We owe Antrim one after that championship defeat a few years ago. There'll be a big crowd Sunday with it being a double header (if the snow is gone by then). Any update on injuries to Quigley, Attride, Timmons, Murphy and Booth?
We may have wished to wipe it from our memories, but Antrim beat us last year also.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on February 26, 2018, 02:09:38 PM

Sugrue said in his interview that Attride and Timmons are back training and that Booth is there or there abouts. Quigley will be a while longer but is running and he didn't mention Murphy as far as I can remember.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 26, 2018, 01:58:24 PM
Jesus Ballyroan don't get too excited yet the big tests still have to come against the teams around us. Wasn't at the game yesterday but job done I suppose 4from4 now albeit we have probably played the four worst teams in the country. Antrim next week may be a banana skin but if we play we should beat them .Then a trip to London ye don't really know what to expect over there. Lastly then the toughest one down in Carkow and you can be sure those f**kers would love to bate us.

Antrim, London & Carlow are not big tests.  Excuses are the refuge of the ill-prepared, I don't think our management are ill-prepared.  We have far more talent available than Carlow, Antrim or London.   If we want to see ourselves down with them I am sure we can find a way.  Laois are simply far better than the above 3,  I don't think we will be caught on the hop and will qualify with ease.  It's an Irish thing to under play ourselves.  We can only beat what's in front of us and hopefully keep improving into the championship.  Of course we are going to find tougher tests against Div 1,2 & 3 teams but this Div 4 is absolutely deplorable and it's disgrace we were actually bad enough to be in it. (Deservedly So)

Laoiseabu

I personally wouldn't call ourselves "way better" than Carlow or Antrim.Maybe on our day yes, but I've seen nothing to suggest so. It's a three horse race mate. Remember Antrim are going for three in a row against us. And I'm not being negative I'm being realistic and grounded.Theres a reason we are down with these "deplorable" teams. If we play we should still get out of this division .

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 26, 2018, 03:05:34 PM
I personally wouldn't call ourselves "way better" than Carlow or Antrim.Maybe on our day yes, but I've seen nothing to suggest so. It's a three horse race mate. Remember Antrim are going for three in a row against us. And I'm not being negative I'm being realistic and grounded.Theres a reason we are down with these "deplorable" teams. If we play we should still get out of this division .

Reason we are in this division is the absolute tripe management of TOF(spoofer),  neither Peter nor Mick were great but TOF was absolute tripe who should have been ran after a year.   Lillis nor Creedon could steady the ship, however this management combined with the opportunity Div 4 provides have done things right.  They will qualify with ease, we will be in a Div 4 final and will win it.  I am not going to sit on the fence and talk up teams I don't rate.  They can stick it on the wall to motivate themselves but the real work is on the training pitch, are we scared of saying we have worked hard gone about our business in the right way and are reaping the benefits of a good campaign?  There of course will be issues when we come up against the better teams but Antrim, Carlow and London are not one of them.

I am sure there is the possibility we may be caught out in 1/3  games up coming if we have already been promoted and we take our foot off the pedal but I guarantee they won't beat us in the Div 4 final ala Donegal in Portlaoise and then the real business in Croke Park a couple of weeks later.(Div 2 final I am overcome with nostalgia) a few years ago.

Unlaoised

Carlow have certainly improved and showed that in the championship last year especially against a good monaghan team.

They wouldn't be a walk in the park for anyone in division 3 or 4 ...

I had ratings all done out but deleted them by mistake and I couldnt be bothered typing all that again..

Ill do a quick run through of what I thought..

I stress again these marks are just honest opinion I respect every player who puts on a Laois jersey and the commitment thay make.

G Brody 7 Good kickouts looks sharp as always
F Crowley 7 did himself no harm but needs to be stronger on the ball
S Neary 7 better than the last day
R Fennell 7 again better than the last day but bigger tests to come
T Collins 7 nice point but drifted out of the game for spells
C Begley 9 man of the match for me great positioning and control and scored a beauty
G Dillon 6 still to get going this year but carried ball well
J O'Loughlin 8 best tackler again and was strong under the ball
K Lillis 7 nice score looks fitter every game he plays
A Farrell 6 hope his injury isn't bad looked serious
P Kingston 7 on a lot of ball wasted none
N Donoher 7 Good performance from the Courtwood man
R Munnelly 8Rolling back the year few nice scores from play could have had more
G Walsh 7 Not his best and few bad wides but scored a cracker of a goal
E O'Carroll 7 much better two from play and showed and carried well.Two superb long range frees aswell
B Glynn 6 worked hard but not on the ball too much
D Kingston 6 drifted out the field not really suited to a game against the wind as of yet
E Lowry 5 didn't get much ball but Laois's attacks were slow in the second half
D Strong 7 looked composed on the ball
J Farrell and B carroll not really on long enough to rate
LAOIS ABÚ

BallyroanAbu

We shall see with Carlow, but they are getting overly talked up for two games which they lost they beat Wexford, London & Leitrim in last years championship not exactly top table stuff.  Best of luck to them but I just don't see it. 

I am sure there is someone lurking on here who will remind of these posts should I be proved wrong, stay lurking I am safe enough it won't be happening.

Laoiseabu

Ahh Ballyroan 😂😂 where have u drawn this optimism from? We have beaten the four worst teams in the country. Do u not remember we mightn't of beaten Waterford two weeks ago If Donie didn't come on?  Are we in a better place now? Or is it that we falsely look in a better place cause we beat the four basement boys of Ireland? Just think about it? With the current crop a realistic aim would be a mid- div3 team maybe push for promotion but we aren't good enough for Div 2 football I think.

BallyroanAbu

Yes so far we have played 31,30,29,28 now we are playing 27,26  and 24/23  and we are somewhere around 20-17 don't think that's optimistic.  I think any of the top 4 teams in Div 3 could avoid relegation in Div 2 and be competitive provided the right management.  Equally badly managed teams can be horrific.  I think discernibly different talent levels are probably evident at top of Div 2 and Div 1.  I really think it took absolutely brutal levels of incompetence to get Laois to Div 4.

Laoiseabu

Yes good point but I still feel that there is big defensive issues.Some of these teams mightn't be altogether good enough to show them though .

on the hop

unlaois - the programme was wrong that was Darren strong not Holland that came on.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Antrim are the only team in Div.4 who haven't conceded a goal yet. That's a statistic we can aim to change next week as well as getting the two points.
They scored 2-56 where we have scored 4-40, that's 62 to 52 so we could be up against it next Sunday.

Carlow too are scoring very freely so we will have to tighten up at the back to win both of these games.
It's gonna be tough from here on in and anyone thinks any different are only fooling themselves.

John Sugrue's thoughts on the game last Sunday
https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-post-wicklow
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!