Connacht SFC 2019

Started by Rossfan, April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatpoint

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 06, 2019, 04:55:26 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 06, 2019, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 06, 2019, 08:40:38 AM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 06, 2019, 04:30:12 AM
It only took Kildare to beat them last year. Galway too.

Yes and what's the point you're making exactly . Mayo are no longer the second best team in Ireland , we all know that.

Mayo seem to be building for the future from what we hear , this year is not a realistic chance of glory . 2021 you'd guess is the aim to have this squad primed , new facilities will be built, the whole "brand Mayo " thing is really taking off .

Horan will win Sam Maguire IMO ,just not yet ,hence his four year term also .

My point is that I don't agree with the poster who said that it will take a very good team to beat them this year. They were beaten by two less than good teams last year and for me beating New York isn't evidence that anything will be different this Championship.
Hon Larry, keep the faith! :D
Sure, they were beaten by two less than good teams last year and didn't seem to know their arses fro their elbows at the beginning of this year's league also.  But they comprehensively defeated Kerry twice afterwards, once in lousy weather in Tralee and again in good weather in Croke Park.
Kerry, btw, was the popular choice as favourites to face Dublin in the AI.
Mayo have another manager since the defeat to Newbridge and he is one with a record of excellence and have a load of new additions to the panel as well.

I think any talking up of Kerry as a contender to Dublin is highly questionable so using them as a benchmark is misguided in my opinion.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: greatpoint on May 07, 2019, 01:20:15 AM

Yes and what's the point you're making exactly . Mayo are no longer the second best team in Ireland , we all know that.

Mayo seem to be building for the future from what we hear , this year is not a realistic chance of glory . 2021 you'd guess is the aim to have this squad primed , new facilities will be built, the whole "brand Mayo " thing is really taking off .

My point is that I don't agree with the poster who said that it will take a very good team to beat them this year. They were beaten by two less than good teams last year and for me beating New York isn't evidence that anything will be different this Championship.
Sure, they were beaten by two less than good teams last year and didn't seem to know their arses fro their elbows at the beginning of this year's league also.  But they comprehensively defeated Kerry twice afterwards, once in lousy weather in Tralee and again in good weather in Croke Park.
Mayo have another manager since the defeat to Newbridge and he is one with a record of excellence and have a load of new additions to the panel as well.

I think any talking up of Kerry as a contender to Dublin is highly questionable so using them as a benchmark is misguided in my opinion.

Obviously. But the same could be said for 30 other counties, regardless of who Mayo played in the league final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 06, 2019, 08:20:22 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 06, 2019, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 06, 2019, 07:58:05 PM
Job done, easy win in second gear, means nothing.

Would love a chance to head over there with the Dubs. But still not convinced of the merits. Would last years US, British and Europen champions in the championship proper not be a better idea?

In the club championship you mean? British clubs already are. If you mean intercounty, how could they do any better than London or NY?

But why London and NY every year? Warwickshire are just as good. Let the international winners take their places.

Not sure where you're getting that from, Warwickshire play at junior level and they'd be annihilated by London.

TheGreatest

Would love a chance to head over there with the Dubs. But still not convinced of the merits. Would last years US, British and Europen champions in the championship proper not be a better idea?

Not for me, The Mayo fans are the look at us, arent we great brigade. Too much money in Mayo by the looks of it if that amount of fans can head over for a mickey mouse game, we need to tax Mayo residents more, withhold property taxes.

(**JOKING**)

Looked like a good trip and good craic.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 07, 2019, 09:28:52 AM

In the club championship you mean? British clubs already are. If you mean intercounty, how could they do any better than London or NY?

But why London and NY every year? Warwickshire are just as good. Let the international winners take their places.

Not sure where you're getting that from, Warwickshire play at junior level and they'd be annihilated by London.

It's just the usual makey up stuff from this poster.

Rossfan

No one takes that lad seriously any more  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Why play Leinster then...

Rossfan

Connacht Council obviously expecting a good turnout Sunday as Season ticket holders being allocated specific seats.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2019, 06:59:04 PM
Connacht Council obviously expecting a good turnout Sunday as Season ticket holders being allocated specific seats.

Rossies are always out in force league or championship probably the most loyal fans in Connacht anyway. Maybe the fires are stirring in Lovely Leitrim with their division 4 success?

Baile Brigín 2

Grand. So London win and get to play. If we have an international element,why not merit based. Before I get accused of the usual, the last 16 of next years FAI junior cup get into the intermediate cup, that last 16 into the senior.

greatpoint

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2019, 03:44:06 AM

Obviously. But the same could be said for 30 other counties, regardless of who Mayo played in the league final.

And if they had played any of the rest of those counties my opinion would he the same.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2019, 03:09:31 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2019, 03:44:06 AM

And if they had played any of the rest of those counties my opinion would he the same.

That's what I'm agreeing with you on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 07, 2019, 08:27:11 PM

Grand. So London win and get to play. If we have an international element,why not merit based. Before I get accused of the usual, the last 16 of next years FAI junior cup get into the intermediate cup, that last 16 into the senior.

Nobody else in England or Scotland play senior football at County level, London get a free run to the Connacht Championship and rightly so.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 08, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 07, 2019, 08:27:11 PM

Nobody else in England or Scotland play senior football at County level, London get a free run to the Connacht Championship and rightly so.

Jesus this is hard work.

Of course they dont play senior football. London have the only place. London cannot lose that place.

Or put another way, why 'rightly so'?

Are people on here that conservative that the idea of London and NY having to earn their way in causes this level of offense?.

Rossfan

Will ya fkn stop ruining this thread with your nonsense?