'Two refs makes sense' in GAA, says retired inter-county referee Rory Hickey

Started by dec, April 28, 2019, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0428/1046158-two-refs-makes-sense-in-gaa-says-retiring-hickey/

Retired inter-county referee Rory Hickey has suggested introducing two referees into the GAA, saying that the rule change "makes sense" for the sport. Hickey has opted to step away from officiating after missing out on a place in the national panel for 2019, following a 20-year career which included refereeing an All-Ireland minor football final and an All-Ireland club final. Bringing in two referees into GAA games has been suggested in the past and the Clare native has added his voice to that school of thought.

"I was involved in a couple of the Compromise Rules Series as linesman, umpire and stuff," Hickey began when pitching this idea on RTÉ's Sunday Sport. "The Australian lads would come over - one would be in one half of the field and the Irish guy would be in the other half. I thought it worked out great. "If you look at inter-county hurling now, the Clare full-back David McInerney, if he catches the ball on the '21 and the referee is standing beside him, David McInerney has the potential to land the ball on the other 13 metre line. "There's no way in the world the referee is going to make it up to the other end, but if there was a referee in each half, it'd take the workload off the referee. The other guy would be able to cut out a lot of the stuff that goes on off the ball when the play is down at the other end. "I attended a couple of championship matches last year and you wouldn't believe the stuff that goes on off the ball while the referee is at the other end of the field. Two refs makes sense. "It's an easy move, why not?"

The constant scrutiny and criticism directed at referees also came up during the interview with the Eire Óg clubman. He recounted one particular incident during the 2009 Munster football final between Cork and Limerick which resulted in him featuring in newspaper articles and receiving hate mail. "I gave a penalty to Cork during that game. Whether I was right or wrong, I gave the penalty anyway and stood by my decision. I'll let your listeners decide [if I was right or wrong]," he jokes. "Cork won the game [and] Limerick weren't too happy. I got a lot of attention after that. It was more the written word that time [in newspapers]. There was no Twitter or any of that craic. "[It was] tough going. Limerick were on the brink of history and I gave what I thought was a penalty. When you look, yeah it was soft. The name Rory Hickey was up in lights in places where I didn't think it would be. "The papers all had the same story that there was no way it was a penalty. I think one journalist described me as Robin Hood after 'robbing Limerick'. "People were at that game and they just don't forget for a while." Hickey went on to describe the vile letters which were sent to his original home address where he wasn't living at the time. "One guy actually went out of his way to cut newspaper clippings and get words stuck onto the page. This guy was a real professional. My mother opened that and it's not nice for someone to be reading that."

Hickey also touched on the standard of fitness and physical conditioning that referees must meet in order to perform the role in the modern game. Illustrating the difference between refereeing at club level and inter-county level, he explained that a match official can "tip away between the two '45s and you'll be fine" while taking charge of a club game. "If you try that in an inter-county match, you'll be found out fairly quick. For me and my former colleagues, you'd want to be in nearly tip-top condition for inter-county football at the minute."

twohands!!!

Quote"tip away between the two '45s and you'll be fine"

No mention of the club refs who "tip away" between the two '65s i.e throw up the ball and the only time they move a step from there all game is to get out of a player's way (and oftentimes they don't even do that).

As to the 2 refs idea, definitely in favour of it.

tippabu

At intercounty level there's no need for two official refs on the pitch. We already have a ref and 2 intercounty refs as linesmen, have these in comunication and actually have a proper impact on decisions. That's 3 sets of intercounty refs eyes on the play which is more than enough

Eamonnca1

Fun fact: Milwaukee Hurling Club has been using dual referees for years. Off-the-ball incidents are unheard of because there's always a ref facing them.

BennyCake

Quote from: tippabu on April 28, 2019, 09:15:07 PM
At intercounty level there's no need for two official refs on the pitch. We already have a ref and 2 intercounty refs as linesmen, have these in comunication and actually have a proper impact on decisions. That's 3 sets of intercounty refs eyes on the play which is more than enough

Would that have been the same number of eyes on the play that allowed Joe Sheridan's goal to stand in 2010?

sligoman2

I have been calling for two refs for years.  Linesmen don't make enough calls and as this ref said it's impossible for one man to cover the entire pitch especially at the speed of inter county in hurling and football.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Buckass

Think it was Charlie Redmond years ago dismissed the idea of two refs as it would only make the reffing twice as bad!

tippabu

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 29, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
I have been calling for two refs for years.  Linesmen don't make enough calls and as this ref said it's impossible for one man to cover the entire pitch especially at the speed of inter county in hurling and football.

Yes, they are pretty much passengers but that's why I am saying they should be utilised and given a new role where they are told to "ref the game from the line". I still think there should only be one man with the whistle but a team all in communication making the calls.

Buckass

Hearing a lot of guff about how there's more respect for refs in rugby. That's because its a much easier game to referee. All the action happens in easily patrolled area and if a ball is hoofed 50 m there's not a body of men/ women there challenging for it. Ruck is a quagmire in terms of interpretation with 'in from the side' in particular, but it's a much more lateral and pedestrian game to cover than football or hurling where there are many more 50/50s involved.
Club set up is a full joke in terms of officials with a man from either side taking it as his duty to give or wave wide anything close depending on which end he's at. Same with linesmen. Unfortunately no easy solutions with low interest in officiating at games.
Black card is there for refs who receive verbal abuse on pitch but unfortunately too many don't use it so only have themselves to blame if lambasting continues.