Why do we do it ?

Started by orangeman, September 01, 2015, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

We moan, groan, complain etc and the players give up their lives for it and for little reward.

So why do we continue to want to wear the county jersey ?.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-on-the-gaa-s-strong-roots-1.2335291

ashman

Windmill abu

Romantic shite which should have been posted on the Hurling forum where nobody would have to read it.

Sorry, posted on the wrong thread
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Jinxy

Thought this thread was going to be some sort of mea culpa from the Tyrone lads.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on September 02, 2015, 12:08:46 AM
Thought this thread was going to be some sort of mea culpa from the Tyrone lads.

Tad obsessed with us there Jinxy ;)

illdecide

TBH most level headed guys who have played the game at a decent level where they had to put commitment in will understand and normally won't give out. Its the other people who maybe never played or if they did played reserve where no training or commitment was necessary who probably give out and slabber. Not to mention the ladies who go and by Jasus they can be heard at a match, some of them are an embarrassment.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

deiseach

People who run marathons have to put in a certain amount of hours if there are to have any hope of completing the course, let alone do it in a decent time. Yet you would rarely encounter the kind of bafflement that seems to be thrown up regularly in the context of people who play Gaelic games at a high level. They do it because they enjoy it. The discipline required is not for everyone. I always think of Johnny Brenner, a star of our Under-21 All-Ireland winning team (there's only one instance of that). He was a gloriously stylish hurler, but only ever made six Championship starts for Waterford spread over the entire Nineties. I knew his cousin and asked him why this was the case. The answer was that Johnny wasn't willing to put in the effort. This doesn't mean he was some kind of bozo. It just meant he had other passions that he wished to indulge ahead of hurling, and good luck to him. Other people are willing and able to put in the hard graft. There's no mystery to it.