Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 24, 2013, 10:32:46 PM
Played in games that Ryan & Aidan reffed, 2 super refs & go quietly about it and can have a smile with players to.

Whatever happened Herbie McAuley?

Aye right enough, really liked Herbie's style
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I don't get any argument about loughgiel being too old.

Forget about age - fitness and hunger matters.
They have it in abundance.

The age thing is a county issue - and it's got more to do with time available than anything else.

Na Glinntí Glasa

The age thing won't matter this weekend lads, I'm speaking more in the next few years. Players legs go, you know it yourself if your like me and in your 30's. it's not easy staying fit.

I've always stated that I think lgiel are a good team but the reality is the success will stop in a few years time, the same as it did for us. Lgiels best players are their oldest ones. Ding, DD, Liam, johnny, Barney are all more or less coming to the end of a great career. Can they replace players like that? You can't simple as.

I'm looking more in the long term and I see the dall being stronger next year and the year after. They won't lose many strong players whereas lgiel will.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

I think you are way off the mark DR. If you had the lean years that those lads had you'd enjoy all the potential good ones. You're also ignoring a fair few of their central players whove a fair few years in them. Loughgiel are winning on merit. Anyone who wants to win against them will have to put it up to a serious team who know what they're about. The dall are too light both in frame and fragility for the likes of Loughgiel (not trying to demean their obvious potential...they beat us afterall). They're a good team but not championship material in my book
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

i know what your saying skull. we did it for years but you know yourself that when the core of your team goes due to age you cant replace those great players with players similar sitting on a bench. it isnt that easy to do. lgiel dont have it coming up through from under age and havent had it for a few years now. we are the same.
cdall on the other hand are a young team blending youth in well eg natty, campbell. ok they may be light this year but the next few years will be better for them.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

You don't have to be winning championships at juvenile to have players with good potential. Loughgiel have players with good potential at U14 U16 U18 and U21. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on September 25, 2013, 09:05:28 AM
You don't have to be winning championships at juvenile to have players with good potential. Loughgiel have players with good potential at U14 U16 U18 and U21.

The average age of Loughgiel's outfield starting team on Sunday was 27.  As someone else stated I think age is more of a factor at inter county level.  Hopefully this team will be around for some considerable time yet.

johnneycool

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 25, 2013, 09:10:41 AM

The average age of Loughgiel's outfield starting team on Sunday was 27.  As someone else stated I think age is more of a factor at inter county level.  Hopefully this team will be around for some considerable time yet.

DD as a keeper can go on for a few more years, Watson must be 33 or 34 now and if he looks after himself would be a threat at club level for a few more years yet, ditto Ding. TBH if the older guard can avoid injuries they've a few more years left in them yet.
Age wouldn't be a concern for Loughgeil just yet.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: johnneycool on September 25, 2013, 09:38:20 AM

DD as a keeper can go on for a few more years, Watson must be 33 or 34 now and if he looks after himself would be a threat at club level for a few more years yet, ditto Ding. TBH if the older guard can avoid injuries they've a few more years left in them yet.

Winker turns 31 shortly.

johnneycool

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 25, 2013, 09:53:10 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 25, 2013, 09:38:20 AM

Winker turns 31 shortly.

I suppose he's been on the go from an early age.

Is Joey Scullion a bit younger then?

imtommygunn

Scullion would be no more than 27/28 I reckon. DD Quinn about 34/35 and Gillan about 35/36. Johnny Campbell must be 30 then? I don't think he's as old as people reckon.

Cushendall fairly young too. McKeegan the oldest.

Dunloy still have a few older guys hanging round I think. The Richmonds and Micky McClements must be low 30s at least.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Liam's 36. Paddy I think 33, Micky 32. They are the oldest members. The rest are 19-27 bracket which is grand for us to work with. The core of the team won't change much for the next 6 years.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Also with these older players eventually retiring they are leaving a strong nucleus which only needs a few additions from underage rather than hugely successful teams.
The rest of the clubs will need a huge injection of talent to bridge the gap - I think Ballycastle are the nearest but still a bit to go.
Like I said before - age is really an inter-county concern in terms of time available for preparation and travelling etc.
At club level I think the most successful players will generally be the more experienced.

Personally I'm going for a one point game on Sunday - I'll get off the fence and toss a coin on who wins it later!

Milltown Row2

Referee sorted for Sunday I hear
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"