Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

My golf game is away to f**k. I was playing rightly before lockdown too!

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on June 05, 2020, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2020, 12:10:09 AM
In all honesty, it's really hard to see how Sept will work. My outlook was half optimistic and half reckless... Hope that by August comes the thing is all but gone and we just up sanitation and we're back to as close to normal.

After a few talks today, that looks pie in the sky. This half school/half home thing looks like a logistical nightmare for everyone.

Yeah for me it's worst of both worlds.
The cost of managing it will be very high too.
I'm not sure if I've said it before on this thread, but I think they should have put a full pause on education at all levels for a year. Aim to bring all kids back to school on are around 1year after they were all sent home. It would resolve exam/predicted results issues as everything could pick up where it left off.
The hope would be we are fully on top of the virus by then, or possibly even have a vaccine. So for me it simplifies all the issues with education, and is lower risk with respect to the virus spread.
There's the issue of parents returning to work to contend with but that might be easier managed with employers than all this hassle with part school/part home.

Here you have it. The cat is out if the bag. Pause a child's education. f**k them. Not a mention of remote teaching, online lessons, nothing. Just pause education. We can have the time off, on full pay, to go golfing, learn to play the guitar and catch up on some Netflix box sets. Teachers are using this as a cover to refuse to go to work. Nothing less, nothing more. The rest of the population has to go to work, some serve on the front line but not precious teachers. We're all in this together, expect some aren't and they're going to prove it.
The risk to children and teachers is absolutely minuscule. Teachers as allegedly "educated" people should realise this.

All teachers?

ONeill

Aye all. Pack of dossers. Especially primary teachers. Do some sums and comprehension and send them off to big school as greenhorns.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on June 05, 2020, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2020, 12:10:09 AM
In all honesty, it's really hard to see how Sept will work. My outlook was half optimistic and half reckless... Hope that by August comes the thing is all but gone and we just up sanitation and we're back to as close to normal.

After a few talks today, that looks pie in the sky. This half school/half home thing looks like a logistical nightmare for everyone.

Yeah for me it's worst of both worlds.
The cost of managing it will be very high too.
I'm not sure if I've said it before on this thread, but I think they should have put a full pause on education at all levels for a year. Aim to bring all kids back to school on are around 1year after they were all sent home. It would resolve exam/predicted results issues as everything could pick up where it left off.
The hope would be we are fully on top of the virus by then, or possibly even have a vaccine. So for me it simplifies all the issues with education, and is lower risk with respect to the virus spread.
There's the issue of parents returning to work to contend with but that might be easier managed with employers than all this hassle with part school/part home.

Here you have it. The cat is out if the bag. Pause a child's education. f**k them. Not a mention of remote teaching, online lessons, nothing. Just pause education. We can have the time off, on full pay, to go golfing, learn to play the guitar and catch up on some Netflix box sets. Teachers are using this as a cover to refuse to go to work. Nothing less, nothing more. The rest of the population has to go to work, some serve on the front line but not precious teachers. We're all in this together, expect some aren't and they're going to prove it.
The risk to children and teachers is absolutely minuscule. Teachers as allegedly "educated" people should realise this.

;D ;D

First point is, I'm not a teacher. However, my wife is a teacher and doesn't agree with me.
I'll admit, pause was the wrong word to use. What I meant be pause, was to continue as is which would keep kids in touch with what they have learnt already and so they don't forget everything they have already done.
There are very few teachers that I know off refusing to return to work so they can watch netflix or play golf. They are genuinely concerned about their own health and the health for their families, but also for the health of the kids in school and their families.

Question for you trailer, are you only concerned about the education of your children (assuming you have kids), or do you need them minded so you can return to work? I think the context is important. I understand it will be extremely difficult for a lot of people to have their kids minded if not in full time school, but in my opinion that's an extremely selfish view point when the alternative is potentially putting lives at risk.

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on June 05, 2020, 01:59:57 PM
Aye all. Pack of dossers. Especially primary teachers. Do some sums and comprehension and send them off to big school as greenhorns.

In normal circumstances, I'd mostly agree with this. Though not for all teachers.
Most teachers do think their job is much harder than everyone else's, but what I always say to them is that they have been in school their whole lives and have never had a "real world" job. They dont like that  ;D

But generally speaking, most teachers work really hard and have the interests of the children at heart. They don't get paid as well as people think either.
I wouldn't hold it against any teacher to not want to return to work in the current climate particularly as every one of them have their own personal circumstances to contend with.

Milltown Row2

Trailers wife is a front line worker so can avail of having kids at school allowing him to work. So no issues.

Also let's give schools teachers and kids some credit, the education will continue when safe, they'll not finish school at a lesser disadvantage position than the kids the coming before them or after them.

My daughters won't lose the education they've received these past few years!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2020, 02:17:40 PM
Trailers wife is a front line worker so can avail of having kids at school allowing him to work. So no issues.

Also let's give schools teachers and kids some credit, the education will continue when safe, they'll not finish school at a lesser disadvantage position than the kids the coming before them or after them.

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make, but you've made it better than I did.
Who cares if kids are one year older when they all finish their formal education? They'd all be finishing at the same time so I dont see why it would be an issue to delay formal exams, or moving up classes for a year.
Quite possibly there are many good reasons....anyone?

JimStynes

Fair enough. Was just looking to confirm that. If I could get down to a single figure handicap then my time off won't be wasted at least. I've watched everything on netflix already ffs.

ONeill

delgany

Jesus.... I forgot to teach them quantum physics  this week ...........ah well.... they'll just have to read,  comprehend , infer information, calculate , problem solve,  use ICT, Code , write a story , paint , do a science equipment , make a lego model, do a bit of exercise......do all the things a child under 10 is supposed to do

FermGael

Quote from: delgany on June 05, 2020, 04:06:11 PM

Jesus.... I forgot to teach them quantum physics  this week ...........ah well.... they'll just have to read,  comprehend , infer information, calculate , problem solve,  use ICT, Code , write a story , paint , do a science equipment , make a lego model, do a bit of exercise......do all the things a child under 10 is supposed to do

Cbeebies is great isn't it ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ONeill

Teach them commas fcuk ye.

delgany

Quote from: ONeill on June 05, 2020, 05:23:28 PM

Teach them commas fcuk ye.

Think you might need to go to specsavers , ye balloon

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2020, 02:17:40 PM

Thanks for answering on behalf of me and wife's behalf. But you are incorrect. Yes she is a frontline worker but we can't avail of the childcare because..... drum roll....... the teachers in our local school refused to provide it. I shit you not. We only have one at school age so it's not a solution anyway.
You'd have more respect for teachers if they came out and just said they don't want to go back because they're enjoying the time off. There is no medical reason that justifies their approach.

Silver hill

Things will really start to ramp up now with the announcements today from the Irish government and the gaa. With the infection rates at the level they are now, it's inconceivable that kids will not be returning to a full curriculum on 1st sept. Especially with the knowledge that they aren't the little vectors that was once thought. Lobbying should begin now. A major deterrent to a proper recovery will be childcare provision if schools are not open. We were right to be cautious and to plan for the worst back in may but the expected Armageddon didn't materialize and to be honest, the hysteria in the last few months has been ridiculous. Get everything opened up again and we can all apply a modicum if commonsense in the daily situations we'll find ourselves in when out and about.