Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: Eire90 on July 25, 2020, 12:13:14 PM
what i was meant to say is being a high profile gaa players gets you benefits and favours in the community so some players are indirectly professionals proxy professional you could call them.

GAA is unique for a variety of reasons, "amateur status", closed transfer policy, inequitable provincial structures , financially and logistically advantaged counties.

Whereas I have no problem with committed players being looked after in terms of expenses, career opportunities etc. , it's unfair the way players from Dublin and some other counties have far more opportunities. If Dean Rock happened to be born in Tullow in Co Carlow, for example, he could never be afforded these opportunities unless he was to choose another sport (Seán O'brien started off as a GAA player, but had to choose Rugby to make the £££)
For this reason alone , The GAA needs to tidy up the guidelines around this. Though he should be paid for his time, expenses and loss of opportunity , the extra monies Dublin & other counties , and their players , make out of sponsorship , coaching , and gate receipts , should be distributed fairly across the association .

6th sam

Quote from: 6th sam on July 25, 2020, 01:40:31 PM
what i was meant to say is being a high profile gaa players gets you benefits and favours in the community so some players are indirectly professionals proxy professional you could call them.

GAA is unique for a variety of reasons, "amateur status", closed transfer policy, inequitable provincial structures , financially and logistically advantaged counties.

Whereas I have no problem with committed players being looked after in terms of expenses, career opportunities etc. , it's unfair the way players from Dublin and some other counties have far more opportunities. If Dean Rock happened to be born in Tullow in Co Carlow, for example, he could never be afforded these opportunities unless he was to choose another sport (Seán O'brien started off as a GAA player, but had to choose Rugby to make the £££)
For this reason alone , The GAA needs to tidy up the guidelines around this. Though he should be paid for his time, expenses and loss of opportunity , the extra monies Dublin & other counties , and their players , make out of sponsorship , coaching , and gate receipts , should be distributed fairly across the association .
After several decades of involvement in GAA at various levels, now for the first time I see genuine anger re Dublin , and a fear that the Dublin juggernaut will destroy our association. The higher  echelons of the association appear to have  a hefty Dublin influence that isn't serving us well.
The latest manifestation of this is John Horan's apparent tolerance or disinterest in the partitioned approach to Covid, as he leads a supposedly 32 county organisation . In 2011 I was delighted to see the Dubs Winning  the All-ireland, as I felt it would be good for the association, in actual fact it has been an absolute disaster. In many ways I feel for the Dubs as their undoubtedly outstanding team, will never get the same credit as others given their enormous advantage.

From the Bunker

Quote from: 6th sam on July 25, 2020, 03:28:59 PM

After several decades of involvement in GAA at various levels, now for the first time I see genuine anger re Dublin , and a fear that the Dublin juggernaut will destroy our association. The higher  echelons of the association appear to have  a hefty Dublin influence that isn't serving us well.
The latest manifestation of this is John Horan's apparent tolerance or disinterest in the partitioned approach to Covid, as he leads a supposedly 32 county organisation . In 2011 I was delighted to see the Dubs Winning  the All-ireland, as I felt it would be good for the association, in actual fact it has been an absolute disaster. In many ways I feel for the Dubs as their undoubtedly outstanding team, will never get the same credit as others given their enormous advantage.

How teams are seen in the future is based on the popularity of the sport or the standing of the competition won in president day. Back in the day and up to the mid-'70's winning a Railway Cup medal was held in high prestige. Players craved to be on inter-provincial teams and win a national title.  Railway Cup medals were counted with AI's and Provincial medals when players did a tot of honours at the end of their career. Not today! They hold no weight and don't even exist. Somewhere it's popularity faded.  The present journey of the GAA is fraught with similar danger. Counties are losing interest, the general public are losing interest. The Dubs who are on the crest of a Tsunami are enjoying it for now. But the boredom will set in from now on. Dublin are going for their 15 Leinster title in 16 years and 10 in a row. It's fan sapping stuff.

Rossfan

The boredom had already set in in Leinster.
Crowds way down last  few years.
6th Sam - if Horan/Ulster Council were to take a 32 County approach ye'd only be allowed 200 bodies at matches in the 6 this weekend.
I'm afraid Stormont and the Dáil havent been taken over by the GAA yet. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2020, 05:17:26 PM
The boredom had already set in in Leinster.
Crowds way down last  few years.
6th Sam - if Horan/Ulster Council were to take a 32 County approach ye'd only be allowed 200 bodies at matches in the 6 this weekend.
I'm afraid Stormont and the Dáil havent been taken over by the GAA yet. :D

I'm not suggesting that, but the GAA is the most powerful community organisation both sides of the border and like a lot of sports is  organised on an All-Ireland basis. It behoves the GAA particularly given its 32 county ethos to lobby politicians for a unified approach. That hasn't happened. No disrespect Rossfan but your opinion on this mattter carries less weight than those of us in the six counties and border counties who this effects directly. What worries me is that given the partitionist attitude of the last two taoisaigh, and others in the 26, that this attitude creeps into the GAA which would be an absolute disaster for the association

Rossfan

You're Ulster Council decided to let in more spectators than allowed in the 26. ;)
All opinions carry the same respect Sam.....one man one vote and all that.

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2020, 11:49:01 PM
You're Ulster Council decided to let in more spectators than allowed in the 26. ;)
Totally agree re Ulster council. One man, one vote, one approach !

Rossfan

But 300 extra patrons at x £? per game is not to be sneezed at.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2020, 11:49:01 PM

The difference is that Ulster council were allowing a number that central council had advocated be allowed in. This was not the case the previous week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2020, 05:03:35 PM

How teams are seen in the future is based on the popularity of the sport or the standing of the competition won in president day. Back in the day and up to the mid-'70's winning a Railway Cup medal was held in high prestige. Players craved to be on inter-provincial teams and win a national title.  Railway Cup medals were counted with AI's and Provincial medals when players did a tot of honours at the end of their career. Not today! They hold no weight and don't even exist. Somewhere it's popularity faded.  The present journey of the GAA is fraught with similar danger. Counties are losing interest, the general public are losing interest. The Dubs who are on the crest of a Tsunami are enjoying it for now. But the boredom will set in from now on. Dublin are going for their 15 Leinster title in 16 years and 10 in a row. It's fan sapping stuff.

Inter county will fade away imo but only partly to do with what you're saying , covid19 will be with us for decades , we will never see full stadiums again and this will end the county scene eventually. The club scene will take over where crowds will be less and manageable.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

6th sam

Quote from: larryin89 on July 26, 2020, 09:21:10 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2020, 05:03:35 PM

Inter county will fade away imo but only partly to do with what you're saying , covid19 will be with us for decades , we will never see full stadiums again and this will end the county scene eventually. The club scene will take over where crowds will be less and manageable.

No disrespect , but there is absolutely no way that this can be predicted .

I think club activity, and the buzz/ rivalry/income generation of Intercounty competition are the two bedrocks of the association which are not mutually exclusive .

The problem with the Intercounty game is the financial advantages of certain counties ( Dublin are the standout example of this) and the impact of the Intercounty game on the club game.

I think into the future , splitting Dublin (building on current high profile of Gaelic games in the capital ) , making Intercounty fixtures equitable , and having a more compact Intercounty season will stabilise and improve the GAA. I fear that Anything less than that is doomed to failure

From the Bunker

There may be a need for Franchise teams. Ulster and Connacht  to amalgamate counties and enter teams into the hurling championship. The same may have to happen for smaller counties in football. Some counties may even vanish. Some have vanished already and are only there in name.

The GAA are not going to go back to the way the inter-county game use to be. They have invested to much money into Dublin GAA and Croke Park. It's all about Big games, Advertising, sponsorship, Corporate boxes and Big crowds. Most 3rd and 4th Division teams are a hassle and the creation of a tier two championship is the first step to weaning out the weaker counties and ignoring them.

Eire90

The good thing about gaa is play for clubs in places where they live or born unlike soccer where Liverpool is not really Liverpool  if they go franchise models you will see Tyrone players playing for some team like the cork city cheetahs or dublin player playing for the Belfast Bobcats.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eire90 on July 29, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The good thing about gaa is play for clubs in places where they live or born unlike soccer where Liverpool is not really Liverpool  if they go franchise models you will see Tyrone players playing for some team like the cork city cheetahs or dublin player playing for the Belfast Bobcats.

Like everything else that is fading. Many get transfers to city clubs where they are working. Franchise teams will see players play inter-county only. This will see us evolve into a model like Rugby have without the International option.

Rossfan

The lack of International competition is one thing that will stop professional/franchise teams.
Some lads can be very quick to hop to the nearest Senior Club sadly :-\