Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

As the cliche correctly put it :-
His fingerprints are all over the Good Friday agreement. Especially he bit about putting it to a Referendum so SF and Republicans could move on from the 1918 election.
Certainly the top Irish person of the last half of the 20th Century.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armamike

A truly great man. What he did for Derry and Ireland cannot be understated. Worked remarkably hard for the welfare of others rather than personal gain. Possessed the type of vision and intelligence others were not capable of. It will be a long time if ever we will see his likes again.
That's just, like your opinion man.

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2020, 10:33:07 AM
Quote from: Rois on August 03, 2020, 10:19:47 AM
Not that he would care, such was the measure of the man, but it feels so unjust that he won't be able to have the massive celebration of his life that he deserves. 
I hope someone creative can come up with some means befitting of John Hume for those of us who want to to pay our respects.

And in light of recent funerals I really hope that there's no more ammunition given to people to jump on the bandwagon!

As for the man himself, powerful figure and his peaceful approach can't be bettered in my opinion .

A proper service for everyone when it's safe to have larger gatherings would be best

Would agree MR , a tribute that put community welfare first would be in keeping with his community ethos. Thought the family's statement emphasising his care in the nursing home was really classy , and suitably supportive of a sector which has borne the brunt of the Covid crisis . Ár lámh dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Captain Obvious

Here are some of his most memorable quotes.

– "I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people."

– "When people are divided, the only solution is agreement."

– "I grew up in Derry, of course, and it was... Derry was the worst example of Northern Ireland's discrimination."

– "They believed that Britain was in Ireland defending their own interests, therefore the Irish had the right to use violence to put them out. My argument was that that type of thinking was out of date."

– "Ireland is not a romantic dream; it is not a flag; it is 4.5 million people divided into two powerful traditions. The solution will be found not on the basis of victory for either, but on the basis of agreement and a partnership between both. The real division of Ireland is not a line drawn on the map, but in the minds and hearts of its people."

– "I want to see Ireland as an example to men and women everywhere of what can be achieved by living for ideals, rather than fighting for them, and by viewing each and every person as worthy of respect and honour. I want to see an Ireland of partnership where we wage war on want and poverty, where we reach out to the marginalised and dispossessed, where we build together a future that can be as great as our dreams allow."

RIP John.

From the Bunker

Newbridge Exile

Orior

Is it true that John donated his Peace Prize money to charity, whereas David Trimble spent his on his family and himself?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

From the Bunker

Quote from: Orior on August 03, 2020, 01:22:33 PM
Is it true that John donated his Peace Prize money to charity, whereas David Trimble spent his on his family and himself?

It was their money to do what ever they wanted with it. If Trimble wanted to spend the money on himself, good luck to him. Sometime people expect to much of political representatives. Anyway, today is about John Hume.

grounded

A selfless person and a good man.

macdanger2

Quote from: 6th sam on August 03, 2020, 10:00:39 AM
Quote from: Rois on August 03, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
What a legacy this man leaves behind. 
Ireland's hero.

An absolute Giant.
Uniquely at the time, he was prepared to sacrifice party political success for the greater good. Many in the SDLP opposed his approach , understandably anxious about party political suicide, but he knew the ultimate prize for all, was worth the risk.

Great Post. RIP John Hume, ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

imtommygunn

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2020, 01:30:30 PM

It was their money to do what ever they wanted with it. If Trimble wanted to spend the money on himself, good luck to him. Sometime people expect to much of political representatives. Anyway, today is about John Hume.

It actually says lots about Hume and doesn't say anything about Trimble as he just did what the vast majority of people would do so I don't think he did much wrong but Hume went above and beyond.

A large number of posters here wouldn't have the life they have know without Hume. He changed everything.

BennyCake

Quote from: Armamike on August 03, 2020, 12:00:37 PM
A truly great man. What he did for Derry and Ireland cannot be understated. Worked remarkably hard for the welfare of others rather than personal gain. Possessed the type of vision and intelligence others were not capable of. It will be a long time if ever we will see his likes again.

It's very rare you can say that about someone involved in politics. They're usually self serving, looking out for themselves and their seat/party/wage. John Hume seen the bigger picture, and we all should be thankful for his vision and tireless work.

RIP

Orior

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 03, 2020, 02:11:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2020, 01:30:30 PM

It actually says lots about Hume and doesn't say anything about Trimble as he just did what the vast majority of people would do so I don't think he did much wrong but Hume went above and beyond.

A large number of posters here wouldn't have the life they have know without Hume. He changed everything.

Exactly. My point was that he was incredibly humble and generous.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armamike

In the late 90s I was travelling to the US. John Hume was on the flight. I was in the seat behind him. Crappy seat. No business class for him. Worked non stop during the flight. At customs when asked how long he would be staying he said 2 days. A little snapshot of his work ethic. The amount of work he did, not just politically, but also economically for Derry...I'm not sure too many other politicians have had that impact.
That's just, like your opinion man.