RTE Salaries

Started by Captain Scarlet, December 12, 2018, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Where would they f**k off to? Who's going to pay them what they're on at RTE?

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 13, 2018, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 11:34:38 AM
Quote from: Franko on December 13, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
I hardly recognise any of them, and I've very little time for those I do (altho 'danger here' george is associated with many great memories).

I just resent the ever more common hypocritical populist outcry over other peoples wealth.

A poor haranguer to boot.

You do understand the difference between people's wealth and people's salaries?  (Which we pay, incidentally).  Nobody mentioned these people's wealth.

What's your view on pharma companies overcharging state health agencies for drugs?  I take it you are happy with that?  After all, to follow your own logic, they are only people who are 'trying to get paid as well as possible'.   ::)

You understand that my statement was generalising? And its not a massive leap to correlate high salaries and wealth, is it?

Re the situation you describe, define over-charging. Are the drugs available elsewhere cheaper? If they are, that would be a procurement failing.

Are the drugs not available elsewhere? Then the pharma company can and will charge a premium to cover the development of the drug. To what level however, can and should be regulated, if not, that's a regulation failing.

But I'm sure if you were a pharma boss you'd take the living wage and give the drugs out freely  ::)

And hey presto, with a little leading, you finally got there.  You couldn't have made it any easier if you tried.  You even set out examples.

So, to use your own words and examples, this type of behaviour is caused by flaws in the regulation or procurement processes which govern RTE.

Will we go back to my original point, offer them 100k each a year, and see what happens?

The prosecution rests.

You've never made an original point in your life. Alter your procurement then - offer them €100k and you'll see exactly what would happen, they'll all f**k off elsewhere for much more, and we'd be left with idiots like you and serious falls in advertising revenue.

Christ you're really letting this get to you.  I think you're maybe a bit closer to this than you're admitting.

As for the bit in bold.  You are having a laugh.  "Serious falls in advertising revenue" due to the loss of Tubridy or D'Arcy.  It's even funnier when you actually write it down.   ;D ;D

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 02:10:21 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 13, 2018, 01:14:14 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 13, 2018, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 13, 2018, 08:32:57 AM
So what? I'm sure everyone here is trying to get paid as well as possible. And the usual solution applies - if you think they're overpaid, apply for their job...
If they want to pay them such big wages that's one thing, but the fact that the quality of programming is in constant decline (look forward to another Christmas season of repeats they'll be putting on) and they have lost so much of the sports rights they enjoyed in the past suggests that the money (which is substantially provided by us taxpayers lest we forget) could be put to better use.

Is the quality of programming in constant decline, or is that just a statement which, coupled with nostalgia, sounds true?

Well you could heed the evidence of your eyes and ears... if you wanted to.  You could look at a company that is selling off assets to meet daily running costs.  But be careful now, because apparently that can be considered populist and hypocritical by some.   ::)

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/doh-level-of-repeats-being-aired-is-just-not-acceptable-says-rte-chief-30936892.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/viewers-can-kiss-goodbye-to-new-rte-shows-on-this-summer-of-repeats-3z80cvjn7

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/pat-stacey-rte-is-showing-20-repeats-today-why-are-we-paying-160-a-year-for-this-31428735.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/repeats-but-not-much-recovery-in-sight-for-rt%C3%A9-1.3159411

http://animationireland.com/travails-on-permanent-repeat-at-rte-ad-competition-licence-fee-evasion-and-ascent-of-netflix-complicate-life-at-montrose/

Oh lord.

Let me slow it down - increased repeats (not just an issue RTE are getting slated for btw [ https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/backlash-bbc-boss-defends-decision-13702396 ] is a QUANTITY issue. It was the QUALITY which was being discussed. I don't remember RTE having too many shows of the quality of say Love/Hate 20 years ago.

A TV station running repeats because they do not have the ability or funding to run original programming is a QUANTITY issue?  Deary me.

Read what you type man.

rosnarun

Rete presenters wages are a fraction of what they were 10 years ago and the level of complaint has gone up .
just shows you how right Gerry Ryan was to resist it ,
if some one presents a show and it makes a profit I have no problem them getting their rewards.
and no you don't pay their wages any more then you pay the wages of a guard . thought next time your pulled over tell him you do.
see how that goes down
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Franko

Quote from: rosnarun on December 13, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
Rete presenters wages are a fraction of what they were 10 years ago and the level of complaint has gone up .
just shows you how right Gerry Ryan was to resist it ,
if some one presents a show and it makes a profit I have no problem them getting their rewards.
and no you don't pay their wages any more then you pay the wages of a guard . thought next time your pulled over tell him you do.
see how that goes down

1.  Could you tell me which 'shows' in RTE 'make a profit'?

2.  If the licence payer doesn't pay (some/most of) these salaries, then who does?  Same goes for a Guard.

3.  Is the presenter solely responsible for the success of a 'show'?