Northern GP crisis

Started by RedHand88, December 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twobounces

Biggest issue with the North I believe is that across the board we want world class services. We want a world class health system, infrastructure, (roads, housing developments etc) schools and everything on our doorstep. Biggest problem is that we don't want to pay for it. God knows how much the health service needs to get back into shape, NIW state that they need two billion just to get up to standard. Yet if anyone dare mentions ways to fund this like water charges or streamline services we don't want to make the hard choices. We can't have it both ways looking a world class services without paying for it.

Same as the doctors and nurses you want more of them you gotta pay them to make them want to work in the industry.

Armagh18

Quote from: Twobounces on December 05, 2022, 09:03:02 PM
Biggest issue with the North I believe is that across the board we want world class services. We want a world class health system, infrastructure, (roads, housing developments etc) schools and everything on our doorstep. Biggest problem is that we don't want to pay for it. God knows how much the health service needs to get back into shape, NIW state that they need two billion just to get up to standard. Yet if anyone dare mentions ways to fund this like water charges or streamline services we don't want to make the hard choices. We can't have it both ways looking a world class services without paying for it.

Same as the doctors and nurses you want more of them you gotta pay them to make them want to work in the industry.
I think a massive issue is the money thats being wasted. Obvious, easy targets like MLA's still getting paid or the ridiculous ppe contracts the Tories gave their mates over covid. People are taxed enough.

Wildweasel74

In doctors today( bad chest again) I note there only bes a quarter of the people in from the time before Covid. They not simply not seeing people unless serious issues. Thing I note is that all who attended in my time there were all older that me (late 40's). Most were pensioner age.

Wildweasel74

Having dealing with NI water, the current systems (water courses, treatment plants in large towns are over capacity, some lies told these days to get housing developments passed). But country people can't even get a decent road network so why should they pay for Belfast with its pipe linings falling apart?

thewobbler

The biggest issue with the north is the same as it is everywhere else in the western world: housing is a commodity which commands a substantial percentage of a worker's income, and as a result, the vast and increasing disparity between public and private sector pay is relegating senior public servants (such as doctors) to the lower middle classes.

Medicine was always a vocational career (long hours, lots of paperwork, lots of research, lots of dealing with unpleasantness) but always had enough trappings (financial and status) to ensure a throughput of smart, focused individuals. Fulfilling those obligations to live beside a junior software developer just wouldn't have the same appeal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2022, 08:44:19 AM

The biggest issue with the north is the same as it is everywhere else in the western world: housing is a commodity which commands a substantial percentage of a worker's income, and as a result, the vast and increasing disparity between public and private sector pay is relegating senior public servants (such as doctors) to the lower middle classes.

Medicine was always a vocational career (long hours, lots of paperwork, lots of research, lots of dealing with unpleasantness) but always had enough trappings (financial and status) to ensure a throughput of smart, focused individuals. Fulfilling those obligations to live beside a junior software developer just wouldn't have the same appeal.

I know a GP who is giving that up for doing cosmetics and wax removal, is making a hell of a lot more money than being a locum GP with absolutely no hassle either, the status may nave been a thing back in the 80's but the reality is completely different now.

The private sector is the please to be if you are a doctor, no question
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea