Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I think the only way to go is have extra time in all provincial games. Not that it's ever going to happen.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Too many €s at stake.
Ulster's 2 Replays attracted 40,000 or more, C F replay almost 16,000 so well over €1m.
Didn't we have extra time in early rounds of the Provincials for a couple of years but even that was voted out again.

Agree with earlier poster - another week wasn't going to help us this year as our race was run already for 2016.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on July 25, 2016, 10:57:27 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 11:20:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2016, 11:18:52 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 24, 2016, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2016, 09:49:17 PM
All hail Tyrone.
Masters of all opinions and knowledge in the Gaelic football world.

With one more senior All Ireland in their history than Roscommon

How many of Tyrone's All Irelands were you alive for?

How many of Roscommon's were you alive for?

In fairness 3 AI's is a fairly mickey mouse return since 1884. Hardly good enough to get involved in a pissing contest

Dublin have won the same amount of All Ireland's as Tyrone in this millennium, with your limitless bank balance, huge player resources and eternal home game venues, you must be very disappointed with that mickey mouse return.
If Dublin had been the other side of the border it might have won 5 all Irelands

It might have won zero if this was the case.

As I said with 3 AI's you've no right to tell anyone how to play the game. None whatsoever so go back to bed and stop making a complete tit of yourself.

And neither have you with your paltry return in the past 25 years despite all the advantages you are given over every side.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 26, 2016, 11:23:21 AM
All hail Tyrone.

In fairness 3 AI's is a fairly mickey mouse return since 1884. Hardly good enough to get involved in a pissing contest

Dublin have won the same amount of All Ireland's as Tyrone in this millennium, with your limitless bank balance, huge player resources and eternal home game venues, you must be very disappointed with that mickey mouse return.
If Dublin had been the other side of the border it might have won 5 all Irelands

As I said with 3 AI's you've no right to tell anyone how to play the game. None whatsoever so go back to bed and stop making a complete tit of yourself.

And neither have you with your paltry return in the past 25 years despite all the advantages you are given over every side.

Dublin would have still won that many All Ireland had they been in Ulster maybe more because they might have got a small bit of a challenge before knock out stages. Enough of this Ulster is hardest province shite, I think we have all seen how well Ulster sides have done this year. No better than any other province so come down off you're high horse

Keane

Quote from: Brapbrap on July 26, 2016, 09:34:03 AM
I think ye are reading too much into this. Id like to see the list of the 19 teams with a 6 day turnaround and who they played and make a judgment then.

I think the big picture here though is that from 1-9 Roscommon are in reality a Division 3 team. Poor individually and compounding that a poor defensive structure. No matter how much Roscommon put up their defense will keep other teams in games. Clare should have won this game by 12 points and an extra 6 days wouldn't have made a difference to the result.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 26, 2016, 11:29:31 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 26, 2016, 11:23:21 AM
All hail Tyrone.

Dublin would have still won that many All Ireland had they been in Ulster maybe more because they might have got a small bit of a challenge before knock out stages. Enough of this Ulster is hardest province shite, I think we have all seen how well Ulster sides have done this year. No better than any other province so come down off you're high horse

It can't always be summer.

Ulster is the toughest province, this year is an outlier with the statistics on hand since the qualifiers have been introduced.

Syferus

Ulster teams the only ones we have been able to beat in knockout championship the last five years. Says it all really.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2016, 01:14:23 PM
Ulster teams the only ones we have been able to beat in knockout championship the last five years. Says it all really.

They're also the ones who have dumped you out of the Championship.

Rossfan

Armagh beaten by Laois who lost to Clare who were hammered by Kerry
Antrim. lost to Limerick
Cavan lost to Derry  who lost to Tipp who were hammered in Munster
Derry see above
Down lost to Monaghan who lost to Longford who lost to Offaly and Cork
Donegal scraped past Monaghan who ..     
Fermanagh reasonable defeat to Mayowestros
Monaghan see above
Tyrone scraped past Donegal who......

Seems Tipp and Clare may have to move to Ulster to strengthen it a little u;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on July 26, 2016, 02:05:21 PM
Armagh beaten by Laois who lost to Clare who were hammered by Kerry
Antrim. lost to Limerick
Cavan lost to Derry  who lost to Tipp who were hammered in Munster
Derry see above
Down lost to Monaghan who lost to Longford who lost to Offaly and Cork
Donegal scraped past Monaghan who ..     
Fermanagh reasonable defeat to Mayowestros
Monaghan see above
Tyrone scraped past Donegal who......

Seems Tipp and Clare may have to move to Ulster to strengthen it a little u;)

It can't always be summer.

In the past three seasons Ulster has taken 3/4, 2/4 and 3/4 of the qualifier places. There seems to be an awful lot of people rejoicing anomalies and outliers.

Zulu

But Ulster have more counties than Connacht or Munster so it's not really surprising that Ulster would get more in the final stages than provinces with less teams. I don't think anyone can argue that Ulster hasn't been the strongest province but it has never been the minefield some people like to paint it and at the moment it is no stronger than the others.

Antrim, Armagh and Down are unlikely to be mush stronger next year and would be confident of beating very few teams. Fermanagh, Derry and Cavan are well short of the best teams. While I'm not sure Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone have a genuine All Ireland contender among them.

Tyrone are certainly improving and have lots of quality but a relatively mediocre Ulster may have hidden weaknesses the likes of Kerry, Mayo or Dublin will expose.

I don't think any province is particularly strong at the moment and Ulster may still be the strongest but if it is, then it's the best of a bad bunch.

supersarsfields

It's Dublin and the rest of us unfortunately.  :-\

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2016, 09:48:01 PM
McStay gave plenty of time to Parkinson in an interview after the match. He admitted Cathal Shine's conditioning isn't up to the standard required so wasn't picked.

And he even managed to rubbish Sligo in his darkest hour in that interview. Weird how he's so obsessed with us given how useless he believes we are. That batin in 2000 must still hurt. We were lucky of course.....

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2016, 11:10:38 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2016, 09:48:01 PM
McStay gave plenty of time to Parkinson in an interview after the match. He admitted Cathal Shine's conditioning isn't up to the standard required so wasn't picked.

And he even managed to rubbish Sligo in his darkest hour in that interview. Weird how he's so obsessed with us given how useless he believes we are. That batin in 2000 must still hurt. We were lucky of course.....

In fairness sentiments of Sligo's uselessness are widespread in Ireland.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2016, 09:25:50 AM
The closest correlation in this case, where we *have* seen similar results is when a team gets eliminated in their second group game, where the third game becomes a dead rubber. Usually in those cases, the team that is out loses. Not because they are unfit, but because they are deflated and disillusioned.

But that's exactly the point AZ Offaly - Roscommon and other six-day turnaround losers aren't out and letting one defeat "deflate and disillusion" doesn't speak well for a player's character. I remember when we had straight knock-out, you'd give anything to have a second chance.

I just think that after preparing for eight months, not attacking your second chance with everything you have is mental weakness. Teams that were hopping off the turf for league games can't get up for a knockout championship match? I don't buy it. A mentally strong, ambitious team would be glad of the chance.

It's just an awful attitude to head into your last chance for the year with a mentality of "ah, after what happened last weekend, I don't really fancy it".

Anyway I raised the point because Clare aren't getting enough credit. They are just a better team than Roscommon, at the moment anyway.