The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Good to see that nice guys don't always finish last. Well done Shane. Nice touch from GMac giving him a big hug at the end.

Minder

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 10, 2015, 01:59:28 PM
Good to see that nice guys don't always finish last. Well done Shane. Nice touch from GMac giving him a big hug at the end.

Yeah they are pals I think, and same management company before Gmac decided to go it alone
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

GMac has shown class.  One of the very few who hung around at St Andrews to congratulate Tom Watson on his final Open round.

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on August 10, 2015, 02:37:40 PM

Yeah they are pals I think, and same management company before Gmac decided to go it alone
They have the same club supplier also don't they? Srixon.
Gmac seems like another really genuine sort of fella.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gabriel_Hurl

Lowry might have Srixon on his hat but he uses a few different manufacturers in his bag - he had Taylor Made, Callaway and Nike in there as well as Srixon this past weekend

http://www.golfwrx.com/319638/shane-lowry-witb-2015/

AZOffaly

Srixon Irons 3-9 I think. His wedges, putters and drivers are all different I think

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 03:34:21 PM
Srixon Irons 3-9 I think. His wedges, putters and drivers are all different I think

Would that be normal in golf for a player to have different clubs in his bag? I would have thought the manufacturers would be falling over themselves to make sure players stick to their brand. In reality can't they just clone the club you use and whack their logo on it?

AZOffaly

Some club makers have niche strengths, so you'll see a lot of Callaway Drivers and Putters, Taylor Made Drivers, Cleveland Wedges etc. Most players tend to have at least a couple of them in the bag.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 02:46:04 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 10, 2015, 02:37:40 PM

They have the same club supplier also don't they? Srixon.
Gmac seems like another really genuine sort of fella.
[/]Seems to be the case. Probably why he and Ruairi don't get on anymore  ;)

heganboy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 04:08:55 PM
Some club makers have niche strengths, so you'll see a lot of Callaway Drivers and Putters, Taylor Made Drivers, Cleveland Wedges etc. Most players tend to have at least a couple of them in the bag.

This is the case for the players without a significant sponsor. They have flexibility in choice of club, as the deals get bigger they insert an exclusivity clause. Nike take this to the extreme, no Nike golfers have any other logos or clubs or balls allowed on their person. Another logo is allowed on the bag
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

laoislad

Quote from: heganboy on August 10, 2015, 04:27:25 PM

This is the case for the players without a significant sponsor. They have flexibility in choice of club, as the deals get bigger they insert an exclusivity clause. Nike take this to the extreme, no Nike golfers have any other logos or clubs or balls allowed on their person. Another logo is allowed on the bag
I thought Tiger uses a Scotty Cameron putter?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 04:28:46 PM
Quote from: heganboy on August 10, 2015, 04:27:25 PM

I thought Tiger uses a Scotty Cameron putter?
No definitely a Nike.

Oraisteach

AZ, it's got to be especially gratifying when you know the family.  I still can't believe how well he recovered from potentially disastrous shots, especially with the likes of Bubba, Furyk and Rose nipping at his heels.  And it was further fun with commentator Faldo so clearly (and understandably) pulling for Rose, and Nance for Watson.

AZOffaly

Not so sure it's gratifying. It's not my success after all :) But it certainly makes me a lot happier for the people involved, and it does make it feel a lot more 'personal'.