Pubs in New York

Started by Tony Baloney, August 08, 2015, 12:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I know there is a New York thread with pubs mentioned but it's an old one.

Suggestions for Manhattan only as will only be there from Friday PM to Sunday PM and will be doing the sights with another fella from work. I have been before (pre-9/11) and have done most of it so I wouldn't mind keeping myself refreshed on the Friday and Saturday nights and possibly the odd one during the day. We are staying in some f**king pod hotel on E 51st and by the looks of it you couldn't even get a cat into it never mind swing it.

whitey

Whitehair

I'd recommend going to http://www.230-fifth.com/ . No point sitting inside in any of the run of the mill bars that are the same as home. It's rooftop and looks across Manhattan with the Empire State Building behind you. Class spot with the sun shining and a beer.

Jell 0 Biafra

Agree with the rooftops suggestion.  Google 'rooftop bars midtown manhattan' to get a list of ones near your hotel.  There are plenty, so don't bother with any that try to make you queue up outside.

Try this spot for one or two bottles (no draft):

http://thebeautybar.com/about-new-york/

A refurbished beauty salon.

Everyone I've ever taken there loves it.  Show up before the crowds (8pm, say--later than that and you're in Hipster Hell), and take your pics under the chrome-domed hair dryers. 

heganboy

The dead rabbit - worlds best bar
PDT
Planet rose
Schillers (for the very beautiful)
Plunge at the Gansevoort* rooftop with pool
Soho House
Marquis
Apotheke
11thSt Bar
7b
La Birreria
The ginger man
Beer Authority
Whiskey Blue
Bacon bar
Idle hands
Cannibal
DBA
Blind Tiger
Lavo
Miss Lilly's

Zum Schneider

Grand Banks (on a boat!)
Rooftops?
230 fifth
Hustler club (really!)
Hudson Terrace

That's about 30 seconds of effort. Bars - NYC does them well

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

Thanks lads. Enough there will for a year!

Harold Disgracey

Heganboy, what was the name of the bar I met you in for a few scoops down near Wall St?

Was it Ulysses?

Rois

Quote from: Whitehair on August 08, 2015, 01:14:35 AM
I'd recommend going to http://www.230-fifth.com/ . No point sitting inside in any of the run of the mill bars that are the same as home. It's rooftop and looks across Manhattan with the Empire State Building behind you. Class spot with the sun shining and a beer.
Another vote for this one - really cool.

muppet

If you are down near the WTC, there are two decent (real) dive bars a few blocks to the north. There are called The Patriot and Raccoon. They are rough but that is the idea. New York does a great line in dive bars.

The Dead Rabbit is good but 'the world's best bar'? Is it even the best bar in Manhattan?

The Hair of the Dog on the Lower East Side is a very good bar imho.

I haven't done the High Line myself but I hear it is good for bars, might be worth a look.

MWWSI 2017

heganboy

Mr Disgracey! Ulysses indeed, great wee scene all along stone street there for open air sinking in summer and autumn.
dead rabbit - worlds best bar
Just won the award a couple of weeks ago at the tales of cocktails awards in New Orleans
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

Is The Dead Rabbit the gaff part owned by an Ardmachian? It's not you, is it Heganboy?  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2015, 12:09:46 PM
If you are down near the WTC, there are two decent (real) dive bars a few blocks to the north. There are called The Patriot and Raccoon. They are rough but that is the idea. New York does a great line in dive bars.

The Dead Rabbit is good but 'the world's best bar'? Is it even the best bar in Manhattan?

The Hair of the Dog on the Lower East Side is a very good bar imho.

I haven't done the High Line myself but I hear it is good for bars, might be worth a look.
Just checked those bars and are within spitting distance of the hotel the missus and I stayed in (Cosmopolitan) back in 2000. Definitely look worth a visit.

gallsman

Great pub I was in a couple of years ago down bear the WTC. Think it was an old bank and the bar was in the old vault, still has the heavy door and everything. Was allegedly "Irish" and did a very nice pint of stout. Maybe some of the NYCers can help out?

Tony Baloney

Unless it has a bike on the wall and mileage signs to Travel I'm not interested.

Canalman

Quote from: whitey on August 08, 2015, 12:49:12 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/28/top-10-dive-bars-new-york-city-readers-tips

Good list here to start with

Would second Jimmys Bar.................. near Times Square. Always had a great time there. First time ever I have ever been in a bar/restaurant  to make such a list afaik.

Can't go wrong with the Irish bars in Hells Kitchen or around Port Authority.