National Archive 1901 Census available on-line 3 June 2010

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 02, 2010, 09:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Following the success of last year's 1911 project the 1901 census will be available to search for all 32 counties tomorrow.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Capt Pat

How worth while is this project? What will be in it that wasn't in the 1911 census?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 02, 2010, 10:32:58 AM
How worth while is this project? What will be in it that wasn't in the 1911 census?
People who died before 1911 I'd imagine........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Perhaps dead relatives you'd never heard of - like an infant there in 1901 that's not there in 1911 for one or perhaps a great great grandparent may be there in 01 not there in 1911

Interests me - obviously doesn't interest everyone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 02, 2010, 10:38:49 AM
Perhaps dead relatives you'd never heard of - like an infant there in 1901 that's not there in 1911 for one or perhaps a great great grandparent may be there in 01 not there in 1911

Interests me - obviously doesn't interest everyone.

Interests me too SS, looking forward to looking at it tomorrow evening
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

LL

Were most of your relatives not shipped off to Van Diemen's Land?

Billys Boots

I enjoyed rooting around in the 1911 one - this should be interesting too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Doogie Browser

The 1911 one was an excellent resource so I expect the additonal one to be of added value now.  Great way to spend a few hours.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 02, 2010, 10:49:13 AM
LL

Could have been worse, they could have been brought to Longford
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Billys Boots

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 02, 2010, 10:52:53 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 02, 2010, 10:49:13 AM
LL

Could have been worse, they could have been brought to Longford

Jaysus, I can imagine the rabid hordes already gathering on the outskirts of Edgytown awaiting your next visit to the halcyon plains of the Camlin.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 02, 2010, 10:58:15 AM
Is there any plan to release the 1921 one?

Wasn't there a lot of them burnt in a fire?
I'm not sure what survived but I think alot of the census for some years were destroyed
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hereiam

The returns for 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851 were, apart from a few survivals, notably for a few counties for 1821 and 1831, destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the Public Record Office at the beginning of the Civil War. . The first full government census of Ireland was taken in 1821 with further censuses at ten-yearly intervals from 1831 through to 1911. No census was taken in 1921, because of the War of Independence. The first census of the population of the Irish Free State was taken in 1926.

Olly

This is great. There are a few issues that would be settled in my family tree that were raised by the 1911 census. My grandfather's father seemed to have two women aged 44 and 43 living with him. He was 46. They are both bearing his surname. There are 16 children listed in the house and three of them are imbeciles with another two lunatics. The 1911 census will show who he was with first. My grandfather told me that when a woman could bear children anymore (doctors say about 44-49 though Madonna was 46 when she had a couple of black ones) men would just lift her younger sister and start again.

They should go flat out now and hold censuses right back til about 1100.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

muppet

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 02, 2010, 10:52:40 AM
The 1911 one was an excellent resource so I expect the additonal one to be of added value now.  Great way to spend a few hours.

Both brilliant resources. Pity there weren't more.
MWWSI 2017