The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

deiseach

Signing Sturridge is the gift that keeps on giving!

Walter Cronc

Dzeko off to Roma for 14 million. Bargain!

AZOffaly

So a couple of days before the season starts.. what are people's honest thoughts? I believe Liverpool have strengthened at full back and up front, compared to last year. I also think Milner is better than Gerrard circa 2015, but he's not exactly Eden Hazard or anything.

I'm expecting Liverpool to be a better side to watch again this year, and I'm expecting Lovren to have a better year. I think Clyne is an upgrade on Johnson/Manquillo and I think a midfield axis of Henderson, Can and Milner will be better than Henderson, Lucas and Joe Allen. Benteke, Ings and Origi look to be an upgrade on Ballotelli, Borini and Lambert, so I'm hoping there's more goals in the team. With Coutinho, Firmino and Ibe also involved at the top of the pitch, I'm expecting more creativity, and some options for Rodgers if, for example, Coutinho is having one of those games he still has where he is anonymous.

I think they can challenge for a top 4, but are probably 5th or 6th favourites for it. I think Arsenal will be strong, I think United will mature more under van Gaal, so I think the best chance would be of maybe a Manchester City slow start and mutiny. Wouldn't it be nice to win a cup and finish top 4 at the expense of Man City? I think there's a chance, but the first few months fixtures are not kind. Survive that period, be in touching distance and they'll have a decent shot at a top 4 finish.

Mayo4Sam

I think if United lose DeGea then LVG could be gone by Christmas and then a top 4 is within reach.
Who knows what Spurs will do
Arsenal should challenge for the league with Cech
Chelsea are Chelsea but there's echoes of when Mourinho last left. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go again
Who f**king knows with City, keep Aguero fit and Kompany playing well and they'll win the league
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

heganboy

I'm actually looking forward to a very interesting season, I don't think Chelsea will be as relentless first half of the season as they were last year which will make it a good run for everyone til Christmas. I think City, United and Liverpool will all be erratic in the first few months, I get the feeling Arsenal will be a bit steadier, Cech is such a great signing for them. I don't really see spurs threatening much this year. But of the top 5 I think every one of them has a shot at going on a great run. Whichever of them sparks first will make it an interesting battle with Chelsea at the top, I just don't think that any of the rest has the squad or management to beat Chelsea and Mourinho unless he has a horrible run of injuries. City, united and Liverpool will all be significantly altered from last year and I think 2 of that 3 will round out the CL places behind Chelsea as winners and Arsenal in second. City have a more settled and IMHO better squad than Liverpool or United, so I'd have them likely 3rd, but I don't see that United team gelling first half of the season, so Liverpool 4th and United 5th. I think there's a big gulf between those 5 and the rest of the field.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Muck Savage

Quote from: heganboy on August 05, 2015, 03:54:34 PM
I'm actually looking forward to a very interesting season, I don't think Chelsea will be as relentless first half of the season as they were last year which will make it a good run for everyone til Christmas. I think City, United and Liverpool will all be erratic in the first few months, I get the feeling Arsenal will be a bit steadier, Cech is such a great signing for them. I don't really see spurs threatening much this year. But of the top 5 I think every one of them has a shot at going on a great run. Whichever of them sparks first will make it an interesting battle with Chelsea at the top, I just don't think that any of the rest has the squad or management to beat Chelsea and Mourinho unless he has a horrible run of injuries. City, united and Liverpool will all be significantly altered from last year and I think 2 of that 3 will round out the CL places behind Chelsea as winners and Arsenal in second. City have a more settled and IMHO better squad than Liverpool or United, so I'd have them likely 3rd, but I don't see that United team gelling first half of the season, so Liverpool 4th and United 5th. I think there's a big gulf between those 5 and the rest of the field.

Why do you feel that Utd won't jell but Liverpool will? I think Liverpool have more changes so interested to understand this. Utd will struggle if DDG leaves and a decent replacement is not found.

Armamike

Will be interesting to see if Rodgers can get a performance from the team in the early weeks of the season. They way they played in the final 5-6 weeks of last season looked like he'd lost the dressing room. It's going to be a big challenge for him I think as he's relying on the new players to fit in fast and the buys from last summer to start delivering.
That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armamike on August 06, 2015, 12:08:37 PM
Will be interesting to see if Rodgers can get a performance from the team in the early weeks of the season. They way they played in the final 5-6 weeks of last season looked like he'd lost the dressing room. It's going to be a big challenge for him I think as he's relying on the new players to fit in fast and the buys from last summer to start delivering.

I think it was more of a case that they were on the beach than having lost the dressing room. The thing about the new players fitting in quickly I think is a bit over stated sometimes. On Sunday there will likely only be 3 starters who were not there last year, Clyne, Milner and Benteke. Milner is a good pro and will settle in nicely I think. Clyne seems a solid sort and given the fact that both are English it makes the whole integration thing a lot easier. Benteke is premier league proven and will not really feel out of place. Firminio will play some part but I reckon it will be 30 minutes as a sub. Ings the same, Origi mightn't even make the squad. Gomez could play in front of Moreno and he would be one I would worry about, simply due to inexperience. If they have anything in them they'll beat Stoke after the last game they played against them. A good start to the PL and anything is possible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 06, 2015, 12:16:34 PM

I think it was more of a case that they were on the beach than having lost the dressing room. The thing about the new players fitting in quickly I think is a bit over stated sometimes. On Sunday there will likely only be 3 starters who were not there last year, Clyne, Milner and Benteke. Milner is a good pro and will settle in nicely I think. Clyne seems a solid sort and given the fact that both are English it makes the whole integration thing a lot easier. Benteke is premier league proven and will not really feel out of place. Firminio will play some part but I reckon it will be 30 minutes as a sub. Ings the same, Origi mightn't even make the squad. Gomez could play in front of Moreno and he would be one I would worry about, simply due to inexperience. If they have anything in them they'll beat Stoke after the last game they played against them. A good start to the PL and anything is possible.

That's what I normally do with about 5/6 weeks before going on holidays... you'd get the sack if ya did feck all!!! Lazy bastards!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 06, 2015, 12:16:34 PM

Yes I was thinking of the beach scenario too with not a lot to play for coming into the final games which is a slightly more positive take on things. But even if this was a factor, rather than an issue with Rodgers personally, Rodgers still failed to get any level of professional performance  from his players during this period, which would worry me.
That's just, like your opinion man.

heganboy

J70

Quote from: heganboy on August 07, 2015, 03:38:32 PM
Apparently Liverpool are going to win the PL this year
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/nine-reasons-liverpool-will-definitely-win-the-premier-league-690066.html
According to the Irish Examiner

"The more than capable Dejan Lovren..."

Capable of what??

Well argued article  :o

heganboy

GJL