Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 11:02:11 AM
Callinan in for donnacha mchugh, Cillian makes the 26 , no other personnel changes .

Mayo (All-Ireland SFC preliminary quarter-final v Galway, 25/6/2023): Colm Reape (Knockmore); Jack Coyne (Ballyhaunis), David McBrien (Ballaghaderreen), Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites); Sam Callinan (Ballina Stephenites), Conor Loftus (Crossmolina Deel Rovers), Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels, captain); Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore), Matthew Ruane (Breaffy); Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber), Jack Carney (Kilmeena), Jordan Flynn (Crossmolina Deel Rovers); Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy), James Carr (Ardagh), Ryan O'Donoghue (Belmullet). Subs: Rory Byrne (Castlebar Mitchels), Tommy Conroy (The Neale), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Enda Hession (Garrymore), Fionn McDonagh (Westport), Darren McHale (Knockmore), Donnacha McHugh (Castlebar Mitchels), Eoghan McLaughlin (Westport), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore, Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Bob Tuohy (Castlebar Mitchels).

To quote the late Padraig Pearse "O wise men, riddle me this"

How can Mayo management, who I still believe in and fully backed their appointments this year, name the selected panel for Sunday that has failed miserably to score in last four games and most likely will face a defensive wall similar to Cork game plan.
Specifically, I am talking about the exclusion of Paul Towey who can actually score from play for 30+ yards, and the continued inclusion of Jason Doherty, Kevin Mcloughlin (Both incredible servants to Mayo football since 2011), who at this points find it difficult to score. Unfortunately, Fionn McDonagh who puts in a great amount effort, is also not someone who can score as he is totally one footed
I re watched the Cork game in full two evenings ago, For Stephen Coen, every pass is a 20 yard lateral pass or a 15-20 yard pass along the sideline, the opponents know at this point that he has been instructed not to shoot, therefore he will not be getting any one-two passes to make an incision to opposing defenses, and if he does they just back off him. Coyne operating in a similar type mode, except he is way faster but twice last week, he got the ball inside Cork 30 yard line, fairly open, he turns back and recycles. Now I am not for reckless shooting but FFS you still need to score 17-18 points to win most games. Our scoring has basically centered around, O Donoughue, Flynn, AOS and conroy off the bench. None of our other forwards are consistently scoring and I mean even one point a game.

It is also very apparent that Diarmuid O Connor is not fully fit, he is a man that has ran himself into the ground for Mayo since he put on that jersey , yet 20 mins into first half he was in the middle of the field with his hands on his knees, from the second half throw him he also did not look right. He also got caught 10-15 yards away from Ian McGuire for the Cork goal. Major problem for Mayo midfield, as last week there was no plan B for that area.

I genuinely hope as I am way off on my prediction, but if Kelly, Comer and Walsh play, I cannot see how Mayo will get within five or six points of them.
I also watched the Galway V Armagh game back, the tackling of Armagh when Galway were in possession was absolutely incredible.
Can Mayo match that, to they credit they did play like that in some games this year, but at this stage to be able to regain that level of tackling intensity will be quiet the stretch.
Maybe Mayo will score 2-3 goals, only possible way I see them winning, as point scoring is obviously not our forte.
Please let me be wrong.

Blowitupref

Going by Galway's scoring this year against div 1 opposition in league and championship you won't need you 17-18 points to win this Sunday.

2-8,0-8,0-16,1-9,1-13,1-8,1-13,0-11,1-13,0-16, and 1-12 that's an average of 14 points per game.  I'd expect an slugfest of a contest where a score line of 1-11 will likely be enough to win.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: joemamas on June 23, 2023, 06:41:56 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 23, 2023, 09:45:55 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on June 23, 2023, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 23, 2023, 07:37:05 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2023, 07:18:20 AM
How do I know ? For a starter both are named .
Sean Kelly played last week and went off with an impact/contact injury that has came from several reports including Barry cullinane on mayo news podcast last night .
All indications are Damien comer has been rested with a view to the knockout stages , all evidence points to he was good to go last week bar a bit of a fook up with paper work .

So I larryin89 of sane mind will confidently make an assessment of all available evidence and say both will be part of the Galway team on Sunday . Now if you think that is talking shite that's your opinion which you are entitled to but I beg to differ .
Absolute bullshit. That is a complete lie re Comer

Strong words there. You should back them up with some facts .

Have you read 3 posts up?

I'd love to know what possible paperwork mess up can disqualify a player you named to start. Why would you submit doctors certs if you wanted to play him? The poster above mentions Barry Cullinane saying one injury is a contact injury on a pod, but fails to mention or take on board that Barry Cullinane says he doesn't think Comer or McHugh will make it on the same pod. This is what you're dealing with

there will be changes on both teams for sure.
100% I'd put money on Tommy Conroy starting

jmk

Sean Kelly played last week and went off with an impact/contact injury that has came from several reports including Barry cullinane on mayo news podcast last night .
All indications are Damien comer has been rested with a view to the knockout stages , all evidence points to he was good to go last week bar a bit of a fook up with paper work .

So I larryin89 of sane mind will confidently make an assessment of all available evidence and say both will be part of the Galway team on Sunday . Now if you think that is talking shite that's your opinion which you are entitled to but I beg to differ .

The paperwork mess up didn't stop Comer playing last week,
it stopped Galway from replacing him in the matchday panel.
So lf he was fit he could have started or come on later.

galwayman

Quote from: jmk on June 23, 2023, 08:23:14 PM

The paperwork mess up didn't stop Comer playing last week,
it stopped Galway from replacing him in the matchday panel.
So lf he was fit he could have started or come on later.
Exactly yeah - yet some are suggesting he wasnt injured at all.
It really isn't complicated

ardtole

What's the story with Sean Kelly, he looked to be in a bad way in the Armagh game. If he does play, surely Mayo would try and target him by putting OShea in ff, and actually kick a few balls into him, height wise, surely it's a bit of a mismatch.

Armagh18

Quote from: ardtole on June 23, 2023, 09:03:22 PM
What's the story with Sean Kelly, he looked to be in a bad way in the Armagh game. If he does play, surely Mayo would try and target him by putting OShea in ff, and actually kick a few balls into him, height wise, surely it's a bit of a mismatch.
Kelly would kick about 2-4 off him lol

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 23, 2023, 07:40:02 PM
Going by Galway's scoring this year against div 1 opposition in league and championship you won't need you 17-18 points to win this Sunday.

2-8,0-8,0-16,1-9,1-13,1-8,1-13,0-11,1-13,0-16, and 1-12 that's an average of 14 points per game.  I'd expect an slugfest of a contest where a score line of 1-11 will likely be enough to win.
This is a key point, Galway have been winning matches because they have only been conceding an average around 12/13 (ish) points, the problems have been up front as you've outlined.

highorlow

QuoteWhat's the story with Sean Kelly, he looked to be in a bad way in the Armagh game. If he does play, surely Mayo would try and target him by putting OShea in ff, and actually kick a few balls into him, height wise, surely it's a bit of a mismatch.

Our lads are brainwashed by our management army into doing the opposite, the "stats" must say that's too risky.

It's ironic that we played some of our best football earlier in the year, v Tyrone is a good example, it's likely the lads were vying for places and playing with freedom, passion and commitment over tactics.

I'm hoping/praying the early season version of us shows up, it's the hope that kills us in Mayo, always has and nothing appears to change.

If the sight of that maroon jersey can't get us off our arses on Sunday then the future is bleak.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rrhf

Still think it's Mayo year to take Sam across the Shannon..

WhoDat

Quote from: larryin89 on June 20, 2023, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: statto on June 20, 2023, 02:49:57 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM
Both teams probably threw away any chance of getting to the AI final last Sunday given the road left to travel now, hard to know which was the worse butchering of the prime position each team was in to top their groups, Mayo's probably a more spectacular collapse but Galway's just as bad really given the context.

we got the worst team out of the hat anyway, Mayo are a really good team and Galway are in serious bother with the injury situation.
If Comer and Kelly are unavailable I don't see how Galway can get a result, they are just too important to the team, along with the underrated McHugh. If Comer plays last Sunday and I think we have the feet up this . Mayo's record in knock out matches between the two counties when it's do or die as well is formidable. Hopefully this match will see Galway making a real stand and not a 2019 like situation.
Regardless, the eternal question remains "will Galway bate Mayo?".

Wouldn't necessarily agree with this.  The winner of the game on Sunday will get good momentum for going into the quarter finals and while they will get a difficult game in quarters a win next weekend and I would expect last weekends results will be largely forgot about.  As things stand, the winner of the groups would like to avoid the winners of this one.

Not enough recovery time for Galway (assuming the favs win ) to get right for a qf against a top side . Galway had a very good chance of all Ireland glory this year but I'd be surprised if they followed through now simply because they didn't win their group .

the winner of the all ireland will come from the group of teams already through to the QF. it's the least risky route and the easiest route. no matter who wins today between galway or mayo, either will be beaten the following week.

imtommygunn

I wouldn't be so sure. Let's say Mayo win then they could beat Armagh. I don't think they will win though but if Galway win then if they get players back they could beat most teams. I certainly would have Galway favourites to beat Derry. (I think any of the ulster teams are pro a top eight but not necessarily four)

seafoid

I don't think it's 50/50.
Mayo are missing something. They lose the plot in the last 10 minutes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/24/endgame-frailties-a-source-of-real-concern-for-mayo/When they come under pressure in the last 10 minutes of games, when the other team has to go for it and put on a full-court press, Mayo don't react well," says Billy Joe Padden. "They don't protect a lead the way they should. They haven't operated very efficiently in that scenario.

"They haven't been physical enough around the middle of the field. They haven't got their kick-outs away, they haven't been clinical enough taking their chances to knock the other team out of their momentum. They haven't had the know-how to hold possession for long periods of time and take the sting out of the game."

This isn't something that has just come to light in the past couple of games.

WhoDat

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 25, 2023, 12:15:05 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. Let's say Mayo win then they could beat Armagh. I don't think they will win though but if Galway win then if they get players back they could beat most teams. I certainly would have Galway favourites to beat Derry. (I think any of the ulster teams are pro a top eight but not necessarily four)

galway already carrying a couple of knocks and you can be sure the two teams will knock the shite out of each other again today and then go into next week's match trying to manage possibly sore bodies and psychological come down from a big game like this, while whoever is waiting will be well rested. i struggle to see either team get through next week's game tbh