Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 06:53:25 PM
the local Mayo peasantry were told to go fvck themselves.

And proper order too  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2016, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2016, 02:13:38 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on July 13, 2016, 08:49:54 AM
Its not about majority or indeed minority, its a very contensious issue and is the elephant in the room in the ballagh club, hear no evil speak no evil.
When the rossie factor in ballagh in the earlt 1980s tried to form a junior club to play in ros they were stopped by the connacht coundil at the behest of mayo. Again i say I have no issue with the mayo ballagh people, the issue is the rossies in ballagh and their right to live in the towm of their birth and play for the county of their birth.

Well do you not find it hypocritical that the Rossies around Athlone were out with burning pitchforks when it was suggested that their area be ceded to Westmeath recently.

I think it was even one of Cakes main policy positions when he ran for election.

Where is the hypocrisy?
That was a land grab, across provincial and county boundaries. Purely for financial reasons.

Ballaghaderreen is a club and player grab. For Roscommon which has a very small rural population as it is, not to have access to its third biggest town for county teams is a joke.

Well the Rossies third biggest town was "land grabbed" from a neighboring county purely for financial reasons too, just in case you didn't know
the landlord and traders moved the town willingly into Roscommon.
It wasn't annexed.

John Dillon, one-time leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party at Westminster and MP for East Mayo, decided his home town Ballaghaderreen should be moved from Mayo into Roscommon.
It was 1898 and local authority boundaries were being redrawn.
At a meeting he and other traders in the town (Dillon owned the large Monica Duff & Co Ltd business) decided they wanted the map redrawn so Ballaghaderreen could be included in Roscommon, where rates were lower than in Mayo.
He moved a private members' motion to that effect at Westminster and it was done.

they couldn't wait to get out of Mayo!
<sigh>

I don't think anyone will dispute this but you omitted the fact that the GAA club, Faugh A Bealach made the move as well. That I'm afraid is something the "We want Ballagh back" brigade never admit. After less than a year, the club asked to be re-affiliated with the Mayo CB once again as they were not made welcome in Roscommon.
That has been on the public record for years- back to the time the sheepophiles first started posting their laments on this board.
This is a democracy and the views of the majority of club members should be considered. If the majority want to stay where they are, who can blame them?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2016, 07:28:10 PM
Its not about majority or indeed minority, its a very contensious issue and is the elephant in the room in the ballagh club, hear no evil speak no evil.
When the rossie factor in ballagh in the earlt 1980s tried to form a junior club to play in ros they were stopped by the connacht coundil at the behest of mayo. Again i say I have no issue with the mayo ballagh people, the issue is the rossies in ballagh and their right to live in the towm of their birth and play for the county of their birth.

Well do you not find it hypocritical that the Rossies around Athlone were out with burning pitchforks when it was suggested that their area be ceded to Westmeath recently.

I think it was even one of Cakes main policy positions when he ran for election.

Where is the hypocrisy?
That was a land grab, across provincial and county boundaries. Purely for financial reasons.

Ballaghaderreen is a club and player grab. For Roscommon which has a very small rural population as it is, not to have access to its third biggest town for county teams is a joke.

Well the Rossies third biggest town was "land grabbed" from a neighboring county purely for financial reasons too, just in case you didn't know
It wasn't annexed.

John Dillon, one-time leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party at Westminster and MP for East Mayo, decided his home town Ballaghaderreen should be moved from Mayo into Roscommon.
At a meeting he and other traders in the town (Dillon owned the large Monica Duff & Co Ltd business) decided they wanted the map redrawn so Ballaghaderreen could be included in Roscommon, where rates were lower than in Mayo.
He moved a private members' motion to that effect at Westminster and it was done.

<sigh>

I don't think anyone will dispute this but you omitted the fact that the GAA club, Faugh A Bealach made the move as well. That I'm afraid is something the "We want Ballagh back" brigade never admit. After less than a year, the club asked to be re-affiliated with the Mayo CB once again as they were not made welcome in Roscommon.
That has been on the public record for years- back to the time the sheepophiles first started posting their laments on this board.
This is a democracy and the views of the majority of club members should be considered. If the majority want to stay where they are, who can blame them?
The local club's real name was Fág an Bollocks. The bollocks in question was Dillon.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Where is the hypocrisy?

It wasn't annexed.

<sigh>

I'd like to see the historical reference for that claim - not being welcome

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 06:53:25 PM

Where is the hypocrisy?

It wasn't annexed.

Lol----that's even worse than what was proposed in Athlone

One person, in order to line his own pockets, made the decision and had his buddies rubberstamp it while the local Mayo peasantry were told to go fvck themselves.
higher rents = higher rents for tenants
so technically, the tenants would be better off. somehow

Lar Naparka

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2016, 08:06:11 PM

Where is the hypocrisy?

It wasn't annexed.

<sigh>

I'd like to see the historical reference for that claim - not being welcome
It's here:
"Mayo : history and society : interdisclipinary essays on the history of an Irish county / editors Gerard Moran and Nollaig O Muraile "
However, I'd go to a library if I were you as it costs around €80 to buy over the counter.
Maybe a better idea would be to check for a poster named Turlough O Carolan who was active on this board a few years ago. Turlough was a Rossie and we had a few discussion on the Ballagh affair. He knew the real story and went into some detail on the subject.

PS. Just realised that Shrewdness, another sensible Rossie, brought up the subject in the last episode of the Ballagh saga. He hasn't been active in recent months.

weareros

Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

manfromdelmonte

Gas they are well able to apply for funding from Roscommon County Council and Roscommon Sports Partnership though. Have their cake and eat it springs to mind.
And willing to compete in Roscommon for the likes of Community Games.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: weareros on July 14, 2016, 12:21:11 AM
Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

That's the bit that interests me.
What's stopping people with your POV from joining the club and, in time, forming the majority?
I mean no offence to you or any other Rossie but this seems to be a case of having your bread and wanting to eat it.

Surely, there are more pro-Rossies than anti-Rossies in the club's catchment area. After 6 generations you should surely have managed to out-breed them and assume control in a democratic way and none of the shyte about bringing the County Council into it. They have no authority to treat any group in the county in any other fashion that all other areas within their jurisdiction.

Rossfan

Lar you should know that long term GAA officialdom will always get their way over any attempts at "democracy".
All that's required is that Ballagh players be able to play for either Ros or Mayowestros.
If the proposed St. John's had been allowed affiliate to Ros Co Board all the bitterness etc would be history now.
Anyway we have a CONNACHT FINAL to be talking about so we'll leave it at that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Why don't you start your own GAA club in Ballagh?

larryin89

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 10:26:57 AM

They tried that.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

they tried that

oliverkelly

They tried that

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2016, 09:15:32 AM
Lar you should know that long term GAA officialdom will always get their way over any attempts at "democracy".
All that's required is that Ballagh players be able to play for either Ros or Mayowestros.
If the proposed St. John's had been allowed affiliate to Ros Co Board all the bitterness etc would be history now.
Anyway we have a CONNACHT FINAL to be talking about so we'll leave it at that.
I hate labouring the point but I still haven't found out why the pro-Rossie faction hasn't been able to take control of the club
after six generations of complaining.

(BTW. I'm not trying to rise anybody.  I'm genuinely curious. I've been commissioned (ie I expect to be paid) to write a book on the history of Mayo football and the Ballagh Enigma will have to feature strongly.
As you say, ye have a Connacht Final to worry about and as I don't expect any Rossie to come up with a logical answer to my question, I'll also leave it at that.

PS As always, good luck on Sunday. ;D