Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Its not about majority or indeed minority, its a very contensious issue and is the elephant in the room in the ballagh club, hear no evil speak no evil.
When the rossie factor in ballagh in the earlt 1980s tried to form a junior club to play in ros they were stopped by the connacht coundil at the behest of mayo. Again i say I have no issue with the mayo ballagh people, the issue is the rossies in ballagh and their right to live in the towm of their birth and play for the county of their birth.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 13, 2016, 08:49:54 AM
Its not about majority or indeed minority, its a very contensious issue and is the elephant in the room in the ballagh club, hear no evil speak no evil.
When the rossie factor in ballagh in the earlt 1980s tried to form a junior club to play in ros they were stopped by the connacht coundil at the behest of mayo. Again i say I have no issue with the mayo ballagh people, the issue is the rossies in ballagh and their right to live in the towm of their birth and play for the county of their birth.
Yeah, but I'm still no wiser.
The folk who want to play in Mayo must be in the minority.  Therefore, it's a mystery to be that they still control the club.
Don't get me wrong here. I am happy to have Ballagh play with us but if membership is open to all in the parish, how come the minority still remain in control of the club?
Surely there must be more pro-rossies than anti-rossies in the club's catchment area.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

whitey

Well do you not find it hypocritical that the Rossies around Athlone were out with burning pitchforks when it was suggested that their area be ceded to Westmeath recently.

I think it was even one of Cakes main policy positions when he ran for election.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 02:05:07 PM

Well do you not find it hypocritical that the Rossies around Athlone were out with burning pitchforks when it was suggested that their area be ceded to Westmeath recently.

I think it was even one of Cakes main policy positions when he ran for election.

Where is the hypocrisy?
That was a land grab, across provincial and county boundaries. Purely for financial reasons.

Ballaghaderreen is a club and player grab. For Roscommon which has a very small rural population as it is, not to have access to its third biggest town for county teams is a joke.

Maroon Manc

I'm led to believe that the split in the town between Mayo & Roscommon people is about 50:50 so I assume there is a 50:50 split in the Ballaghaderreen senior team?

whitey

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2016, 02:13:38 PM

Where is the hypocrisy?
That was a land grab, across provincial and county boundaries. Purely for financial reasons.

Ballaghaderreen is a club and player grab. For Roscommon which has a very small rural population as it is, not to have access to its third biggest town for county teams is a joke.

Well the Rossies third biggest town was "land grabbed" from a neighboring county purely for financial reasons too, just in case you didn't know

Ballaghman

Where is the hypocrisy?

Sweet jaysus, back to the annual, never ending debate.
I say debate loosely because when talking to rossies on the subject they have no interest in really discussing the matter, all they want is 'to give Ballagh back'.
Well as a Mayo Ballagh man with roots in the area going back generations I can tell them we want Ballagh given back too...... back to Mayo.
The example of Athlone was put to the rossies. A really relevant example and it gets dodged by them. What rossies are protesting about with the ross side of Athlone is exactly what Mayo ballaghs would have done in 1898 if they got the chance but Dillon didn't give them one. He made the decision while we were under British rule and in their infinite wisdom the GAA didn't acknowledge the change, thank feck. He moved Ballagh to Ross for cheaper rates and also so rates could be paid in Castlerea and not Swinford. Back then that slightly shorter distance meant a lot.
Lar to answer your question about why the Ross majority ruled GAA club haven't stoked the flames again, the answer is simple. The GAA club has a large Mayo majority. Of the 2012 county winning team only one lad of the starting 15 would consider himself a rossie supporter. Back in 2008 the captain was a Ross supporter and that's it.
The staunch GAA families have long, proud Mayo roots. A lot of people that move into the area with no affiliation either way see that the town is in Mayo for football so they support Mayo. The rossies in Ballagh tend to have parents from 'the real Roscommon', Frenchpark, Tibohine, Ballinagare, Lisacul, Loughlynn etc. They carry on supporting Ross as makes sense but they're not originally Ballagh people. I even know a few lads whose parents were from Roscommon but they still support Mayo as they are brighter than the average rossie and it makes sense in more ways that one!

Rossfan

Ballaghrhus are typical of the lower classes - no fkn ambition, just want to stay rooted in mediocrity and ignorance for the rest of their miserable lives.
Neanwhile Ros Co Co will take away their excretions, provide them with water to drink and wash with for the few who do, give them good footpaths to walk on, a library for those who can read and a fire service for when they burn the fine Ros Co Co houses we give them.
Ungrateful? Of course they are but like the black sheep of any family we have a sort of duty to look after them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ballaghman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2016, 04:40:16 PM
Ballaghrhus are typical of the lower classes - no fkn ambition, just want to stay rooted in mediocrity and ignorance for the rest of their miserable lives.
Neanwhile Ros Co Co will take away their excretions, provide them with water to drink and wash with for the few who do, give them good footpaths to walk on, a library for those who can read and a fire service for when they burn the fine Ros Co Co houses we give them.
Ungrateful? Of course they are but like the black sheep of any family we have a sort of duty to look after them.
Oh please take us ingrates off your hands and send us back to the home of Achill, Croagh Patrick and the Moy so we never have to associate with the majestic wonders of Roscommon, Boyle and the suck (very aptly named for the county it's in) again!

armaghniac

Sad to see a big County bullying a smaller one in this matter
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

larryin89

Balalghman talking sense but only  got a ridiculous reply to deflect from the truth. The loudest ros gobshites from the town , usually never had much to with the club  wouldnt be GAA people either nor did their parents and are much more at home out the road ten miles.  Id have great respect for the few gaa people who are rossies and in the modern world we live in they should be given a choice if theyre county standard. Not many would fit that category in my time maybe desie lynch and at a push gary conway because ros were poor when he was in his prime . After that id struggle to think of anyone. Andy was always going to play with Mayo no matter what the noisey lot say.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: Ballaghman on July 13, 2016, 05:09:51 PM
Oh please take us ingrates off your hands and send us back to the home of Achill, Croagh Patrick and the Moy
Off over the N5 with ye. Plenty of space over there for Mayo CoCo to build a refugee camp for ye :-*
Of course they'll tell ye to go back to ye're own County if Roscommon and apply to the Council there for housing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

What a load of bollix!
I'm beginning to think you have no more sense than your nemesis and that's bad, real bad.
All the bull waffle in the world doesn't hide the fact that not a single Rossie who wants (demands?) that Ballgh be forced to play in Roscommon, has answered a particularly simple question to date.
Why have the pro-Rossies in the club's catchment area failed ro out breed the pro-Mayos in the catchment area?
I asked this question in my last post, as I have asked several times before when the predictable bawling and moaning started once again.

What has the county council to do with football?
Do ye want to mount an economic blockade on the place until they surrender and give up their democratic to play football in a place of their choosing?
Obviously, Ballaghman is telling it as it is. There's a strong pro-Mayo majority in the area—there can be no other logical answer and when you sheepophiles don't get yer own way, ye start to bitch and demand that we give ye back something that we never took.

I told ye ungodly lot before that Ballagh affiliated with the Roscommon CB at the time of the border revision. (They were called Faugh A Bealach back then.) They were kicked out before the first year was up because they were winning all around them so they reverted to Mayo, swearing that they'd never return.
Six generation after, they show no signs of relenting.

(Given what passed for football last Sunday, who could blame them?) 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 02:27:52 PM

Where is the hypocrisy?

Well the Rossies third biggest town was "land grabbed" from a neighboring county purely for financial reasons too, just in case you didn't know
the landlord and traders moved the town willingly into Roscommon.
It wasn't annexed.

John Dillon, one-time leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party at Westminster and MP for East Mayo, decided his home town Ballaghaderreen should be moved from Mayo into Roscommon.
It was 1898 and local authority boundaries were being redrawn.
At a meeting he and other traders in the town (Dillon owned the large Monica Duff & Co Ltd business) decided they wanted the map redrawn so Ballaghaderreen could be included in Roscommon, where rates were lower than in Mayo.
He moved a private members' motion to that effect at Westminster and it was done.

they couldn't wait to get out of Mayo!

whitey

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2016, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 13, 2016, 02:27:52 PM

Where is the hypocrisy?

the landlord and traders moved the town willingly into Roscommon.
It wasn't annexed.

John Dillon, one-time leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party at Westminster and MP for East Mayo, decided his home town Ballaghaderreen should be moved from Mayo into Roscommon.
It was 1898 and local authority boundaries were being redrawn.
At a meeting he and other traders in the town (Dillon owned the large Monica Duff & Co Ltd business) decided they wanted the map redrawn so Ballaghaderreen could be included in Roscommon, where rates were lower than in Mayo.
He moved a private members' motion to that effect at Westminster and it was done.

they couldn't wait to get out of Mayo!

Lol----that's even worse than what was proposed in Athlone

One person, in order to line his own pockets, made the decision and had his buddies rubberstamp it while the local Mayo peasantry were told to go fvck themselves.