VHS to DVD

Started by Nally Stand, May 22, 2013, 07:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Anybody have any advice on how I could go about transferring old VHS tapes onto dvds? Been on the to-do list for too long.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Shamrock Shore

ziggysego

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 22, 2013, 07:59:10 PM
Anybody have any advice on how I could go about transferring old VHS tapes onto dvds? Been on the to-do list for too long.

I was just asking someone the same question today. I've been meaning to copy something for ages too.

She didn't know.
Testing Accessibility

Nally Stand

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 22, 2013, 08:10:41 PM

Already googled it SS. But sometimes the direct help of other kind and helpful folks on a forum like this can be more useful. Thanks for ruling yourself out of that category though!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Shamrock Shore

Ara lighten up Nally.

There are plently of providers here in Dublin that will do it. But it's expensive enough.

I was able in the past to hook up a VCR to a graphics card on the 'puther and using windows media player I was able to grab an avi file from the tape and then burn it to dvd.

But the quality was poor.

I think the cost from a third party is about €20 per vcr tape so if you have a shed load of tapes it will be expensive.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 22, 2013, 08:55:56 PM
Ara lighten up Nally.

There are plently of providers here in Dublin that will do it. But it's expensive enough.

I was able in the past to hook up a VCR to a graphics card on the 'puther and using windows media player I was able to grab an avi file from the tape and then burn it to dvd.

I think the cost from a third party is about €20 per vcr tape so if you have a shed load of tapes it will be expensive.

Sure I'm only codding about!! I've about two boxes full of tapes and I'd say most are full of rubbish but I know some are of sentimental and historical value and would be nice to have them backed up. Hardest part will probably be wading through them all to see what I want kept.

Not worth buying a DVD/VHS recorder, but unless anybody knows of another reliable piece of kit, it looks like I may go with this

NAG1

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 22, 2013, 09:18:16 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 22, 2013, 08:55:56 PM
Ara lighten up Nally.

Sure I'm only codding about!! I've about two boxes full of tapes and I'd say most are full of rubbish but I know some are of sentimental and historical value and would be nice to have them backed up. Hardest part will probably be wading through them all to see what I want kept.

Not worth buying a DVD/VHS recorder, but unless anybody knows of another reliable piece of kit, it looks like I may go with this

It would work out alot more cost effective to buy a DVD/VHS recorder at that rate Nally, plus then you can do them yourself whenever you have the time, those units are well down in price now anyway and the ones I have seen have been effective enough.

Karl Kennedy

Anyone know of anywhere where you can get VHS tapes transferred onto DVD.
I know www.happyireland.com does it but is £16 per tape not a bit steep? Surely bound to be somewhere cheaper.

Gaffer

I have been doing that lately. DVD recorder- video recorder- TV.
Connected together by scart leads.
Expense is in the DVD recorder but if you have loads of vhs then maybe worthwhile investing.
You could do it for other people as well and earn a few quid!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Main Street

It's possible to avoid the dvd recorder altogether and connect a VHS player direct to a computer with one of these,
https://www.elgato.com/en/video/video-capture
You can choose from a variety of formats to transfer to including video dvd  format
With the include basic  software, you can easily trim out unwanted content.
cost Eur100

There are others cheaper, like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116048

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Main Street on February 16, 2016, 06:02:53 PM
It's possible to avoid the dvd recorder altogether and connect a VHS player direct to a computer with one of these,
https://www.elgato.com/en/video/video-capture
You can choose from a variety of formats to transfer to including video dvd  format
With the include basic  software, you can easily trim out unwanted content.
cost Eur100

There are others cheaper, like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116048

100 euro???

i got one of these on ebay for a fiver

worked a treat, having them on computer backed up is a way better option than dvd

dont pay 20 euro a tape to convert thats a rip off, buy a vhs recorder and a video capture cable for 25 quid and do it yourself

u end up throwing out most of the rubbish tapes you dont need as everything is online anyway, films,sports etc.

i assume all you need to keep are family vids, good luck with it anyway

Main Street

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 16, 2016, 07:39:42 PM

100 euro???

i got one of these on ebay for a fiver

worked a treat, having them on computer backed up is a way better option than dvd

dont pay 20 euro a tape to convert thats a rip off, buy a vhs recorder and a video capture cable for 25 quid and do it yourself

u end up throwing out most of the rubbish tapes you dont need as everything is online anyway, films,sports etc.

i assume all you need to keep are family vids, good luck with it anyway
The lowest price on ebay is EUR 80 inc p&p.
Maybe you happened to hit on the deal of the year in the video capture world

ONeill

Holy fook. Have one too. Cost £5.99 on eBay. DO NOT pay £100.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on February 16, 2016, 09:59:16 PM
Holy hysterical moron alert.
Who said you had to pay a £100?
The cheapest s/h elgato device  on ebay is Eur80 incl p&p 
I also gave a link to a cheaper device, new price   Eur37.
The method of transfer was the main point of the post,
even a gobs like yourself should have got that from the huge fckn diagram.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2016, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 16, 2016, 09:59:16 PM
Holy hysterical moron alert.
Who said you had to pay a £100?
The cheapest s/h elgato device  on ebay is Eur80 incl p&p 
I also gave a link to a cheaper device, new price   Eur37.
The method of transfer was the main point of the post,
even a gobs like yourself should have got that from the huge fckn diagram.

u were conned at 100 euro my friend.

i have exact same setup as in diagram, software and video capture for 5 quid