Are you leaving?

Started by DrinkingHarp, January 12, 2011, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Not interested in there (Nigeria) either!! but there are some parts of the world that have conflict that I'd love to visit but may never get to go.

been to states (twice) Carribean, most of Europe (several times) places I'd like to go, South America, Australia and Asia. I won't be able to visit these places until my kids have left home (and then some) my wife wouldn't be bothered going to these place but i will, on me own no doubt. Some places need to be seen before ya die
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 14, 2011, 09:02:21 PM

It would sadden me to hear people talking about their homeland in such derogatory terms. A sense of place defines a person I think and its dreadful to think that so many people have a negative view of where they came from.

I think Ireland has a long tradition of bitching ;)
I like the way people are so flexible.  English people are much less so, in my experience.

sammymaguire

I left. I am back now. I might leave again. Leaving done me the world of good. My kids were born here so that means alot to my wife and I.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Iceman

My Dad has a brother and a sister both living in Canada this past 30 years or so. He told me before I moved over here for good to "break the chain". I was worried about him and my mother (I'm the eldest son) and I felt a duty to take care of them in their later years. He told me if I stayed around home, I would be in his shoes in 30 years, taking care of him, and my kids would be in my shoes and we'd all be stuck. He told me to live my own life and get away when I had the chance.
I'll never forget him for it as it was the best move I've ever made and I push myself every day to prove him right.

Moving away is not an easy choice and staying away is an even harder one. I don't think its fair of ones to begrudge you the opportunity to choose a different path and look down on you for leaving. When you leave you aren't turning your back on your family or friends but at some point you have to make decisions for yourself not for everyone else. Since this conversation started I've done a lot of thinking about why I'm here and what is so good about "life". I know I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Although it isn't home, it feels right and it's where I hang my hat.

One of the more serious and thoughtful conversations on here, but then again those of us who live away tend to have thought about this a lot, though usually over a bottle of beer or 6 and a tumbler of Powers.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Good stuff Iceman, enjoy your life as (in my book) you only get one good shot at it. Your'e dad was probably right.

My wife only has a sister so we may (in time) end up being the ones looking after them, i don't mind has they have bent over backwards looking after us.

I grew up in a house of 9!! My mum and dad will have plenty of sons/daughters looking after them. for me it's only right. i left the house at the age of 27. It's only fair that i look after them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on January 14, 2011, 09:17:17 PM
I couldn't leave Ireland for any great length of time. I could probably live anywhere in Ireland but nowhere outside it.

I don't even like going abroad for holidays.

Me too. I've a cousin in Sydney now though. He intends moving to Perth. It's so sad, when you think of it. Lots of my friends from national school are gone. Canada/Oz are the 2 destinations.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 15, 2011, 12:29:00 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 14, 2011, 09:17:17 PM
I couldn't leave Ireland for any great length of time. I could probably live anywhere in Ireland but nowhere outside it.

I don't even like going abroad for holidays.

Me too. I've a cousin in Sydney now though. He intends moving to Perth. It's so sad, when you think of it. Lots of my friends from national school are gone. Canada/Oz are the 2 destinations.

Yeah, I'd be the same. I don't ever see myself living permanently outside Ireland.
I'm the oldest of the children in our family, and I do feel a responsibility to be there for my parents. They're not old yet, but even now I can see that when I'm home for the weekend they rely on me that little bit more to do a few jobs around the place.
I have other siblings, but for whatever reasons the parents don't seem to ask them to do that much.
Besides, I like the Irish humour, I love for going for a few pints with the ould lad when I'm home.
I know I would feel guilt (necessarily or not) if I left Ireland.

That does't mean I can't see the world though. Last summer, I was in Thailand and Oz for 6 weeks. Obviously i can't take holidays like that every year. But in another couple of years, I plan on going to South America to see Machu Picchu.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Derry Dolly

i graduated last summer and got a job in my field but have always wanted to spent (atleast) a year away..decided to go at the end of this year but its hard to leave a good job, hearts telling me one thing and head is telling me another  :-\ have nothing booked yet..

Evil Genius

Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 11:46:13 PMMy Dad has a brother and a sister both living in Canada this past 30 years or so. He told me before I moved over here for good to "break the chain". I was worried about him and my mother (I'm the eldest son) and I felt a duty to take care of them in their later years. He told me if I stayed around home, I would be in his shoes in 30 years, taking care of him, and my kids would be in my shoes and we'd all be stuck. He told me to live my own life and get away when I had the chance.
Are you sure he didn't just want rid of you?  ;)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

DrinkingHarp

Just seen on RTE that a 1,000 people per week are leaving........insane amount
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on March 01, 2011, 10:43:04 AM

Comparitive to this time last year?  this time 5 years ago?  How many are foreign nationals returning to their home countries?

Rouge_Diablo

Im bursting my balls taking work all over Europe at the min , seeing my infant son 1.5 days a week all so I can take him back to Ireland in 3-4 years time. Ive been away for 20 years and experienced many cultures, and none of them surpass the environment I want to bring my son up in.

ballinaman

Will be returning in 5 weeks..!

Tubberman

Quote from: ballinaman on March 01, 2011, 11:22:53 AM
Will be returning in 5 weeks..!

Fair play, good to hear of someone going the other way!
Is it for good, or just for a visit? If it's for good, do you have any work lined up?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 01, 2011, 11:11:01 AM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on March 01, 2011, 10:43:04 AM

Comparitive to this time last year?  this time 5 years ago?  How many are foreign nationals returning to their home countries?

RTE did not give a specific time frame in emigration to compare but the people leaving at that rate are Irish natives and not foreign nationals. Over 50,000 leaving per year seems like a large amount and the majority were heading to OZ.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014