Kerry's crown under pressure?

Started by From the Bunker, February 12, 2019, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

One thing I am going to enjoy this year is watching Kerry. Their fear of losing one of their crowns as having the best team ever (70's/80's) is on the horizon. They will burst a gut to make sure it does not happen both off and on the field.

You can expect the 3 O'Se's, Gooch, Spillane and Liston to up the anti media wise. Ex-Kerry Players will throw in their worth. They ran an excellently orchestrated ''Street wise Mayo'' Campaign in 2014. Worked a treat to. 

They will also back anyone who could get in their way. Any Dublin player who does anything dodgy on or off the field of play will have his offence exaggerated, heavy scrutinised and a call for blood!

rrhf

It will not matter. Dubs need to lose all any 4 of Cooper, Mc caffrey, Fenton,
Mannion, rock and Kilkenny for a knock out game ie semi final or final to level it with the next best.  That ain't going to happen. Kerry can think all they want, they have been sleeping at the wheel at senior level for the last 4 years and won't have caught up in a few months. 

Cunny Funt

Kerry's title of the greatest team ever was achieved with mostly the same starting team and few subs. Dublin are evolving squad, not a team so it will be less of achievement when they win 5 in a row as expected this summer but as seen in the NFL so far the year, the likes of S Cluxton; P McMahon, C O'Sullivan are hugely important players and they won't be easily replaced in the years to come.

As for the current Kerry team, they will do well to reach the All Ireland semi final as regardless of their good league form they are still in transition and i wouldn't be surprised if they make an exit at the quarter final stage again.

outinfront

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 14, 2019, 11:35:08 AM
Kerry's title of the greatest team ever was achieved with mostly the same starting team and few subs. Dublin are evolving squad, not a team so it will be less of achievement when they win 5 in a row as expected this summer but as seen in the NFL so far the year, the likes of S Cluxton; P McMahon, C O'Sullivan are hugely important players and they won't be easily replaced in the years to come.

As for the current Kerry team, they will do well to reach the All Ireland semi final as regardless of their good league form they are still in transition and i wouldn't be surprised if they make an exit at the quarter final stage again.

Will it though?  The standard of athleticism and fitness today is far above and beyond that era. The systems at play and coaching and planning arguably also far ahead of then.  Not disagreeing just putting it out there for debate.
I get what you say about the same team members etc

Cunny Funt

Quote from: outinfront on February 14, 2019, 11:42:56 AM

Will it though?  The standard of athleticism and fitness today is far above and beyond that era. The systems at play and coaching and planning arguably also far ahead of then.  Not disagreeing just putting it out there for debate.

Those old to remember that Kerry team know how great they were and imagine how better they would have been if they were exposed to the fitness and preparation of today.

seafoid

Quote from: outinfront on February 14, 2019, 11:42:56 AM

You can't compare teams from different eras
but you can compare money
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Dublin have currently won 26 games in a row . The most that Kerry group managed was 19.

When Dublin pick up Sam this year they will be probably have won 34 games in a row. The equivalent of 8 AIs for Kerry in the 70s/80s.

They currently have only lost 2 games in 36 matches. That is the greatest legacy of all time.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2019, 12:42:51 PM
Dublin have currently won 26 games in a row . The most that Kerry group managed was 19.

When Dublin pick up Sam this year they will be probably have won 34 games in a row. The equivalent of 8 AIs for Kerry in the 70s/80s.

They currently have only lost 2 games in 36 matches. That is the greatest legacy of all time.

If Kildare had the pick of 1.2 m people and more money than everyone else they would have won as much, more than likely
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Hard to compare era's though and nothing Kerry could about the structure of the championship.

Apart from Mayo the Dubs have little or no competition during this era. Kerry have been poor, no great side from Ulster, Galway just starting to put a team together and Cork & Meath at at their lowest ebb in a very long time.

I'm too young to comment on the level of competition had apart form the great Offaly side who stopped the 5 in a row.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2019, 12:46:18 PM

If Kildare had the pick of 1.2 m people and more money than everyone else they would have won as much, more than likely

It's Kildare......

When did you join the revolution?
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

For evolving squad instead of a single team.

yellowcard

Whether or not Dublin do or don't achieve 5 titles in a row should not affect their legacy. They are already a great side but the extent of that shouldn't necessarily be measured in the number of titles they have won. Most people would say that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest snooker player of all time yet he has won less world titles than Stephen Hendry, sometimes it is the way you play the game that is remembered long after you are gone. The best football that the current Dublin side played was probably in 2014 when they were actually beaten by Donegal in a smash and grab win and although they still do play the game in the right way there has also been a strong element of pragmatism employed since then.

I don't know whether they are the best ever, you could argue the toss all day long but another narrow win in an AI final will not really convince me either way. I doubt very much if the present Kerry side are motivated by stopping another team in order to preserve the status of their own county team from 40 years ago. The media may try and build it up as such but just trying to win an AI title for it's own sake is surely their primary motivation.     

weareros

At the end of the day, you ask the likes of Mike Sheehy how many All-Irelands he won and he can show you 8, same for a lot of the rest of that great Kerry team. They also won the majority (exception 1980) of those All-Irelands in style, whereas Dublin scraped past the post. 5 in a row won't make Dublin a greater team.