Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Sidney on August 29, 2014, 08:55:56 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 29, 2014, 08:51:47 AM
Enough of the whinging Sidney, the decision won't change, i think we should just get on with the game. 8)
No whinging. Dublin have been the beneficiaries of this type of thing before.

I'm just trying to state the facts here.

Somebody needs to do it.
What did I just say...stop whinging. Whsssht.

*note how frustrating it is when you're labelled as whinging when you're actually not. Note for future reference.

Msgr. Horan

Only in our great association can the decision to send someone off be wrong, and the decision to overturn the sending off be wrong.

I've just said a mass there for Sidney and his intentions. Good one it was too, thought a bit of Ecclesiastes 7:9 might suit him for the Gospel reading

highorlow

QuoteThe perception down here (rightly or wrongly) is that we did not get the decisions in the final third and a score from frees stat of 1-5 to 0-2 does support this view.

Ye got enough in the last 5 mins to give ye the draw. Also Sheeans last free was debatable. Coldrick indeed gave us a few soft ones particularly a free for A.Dillion.

Anyhow a draw was the fairest result.

Ironically the ref the next day will suit ye lads as he appears to think our crowding out defensive style is fouling.

I thought we had the upper hand with or without Keegan so our boys will take it in the last 20 minutes.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteThis is the first time I've heard of a perceived advantage due a shorter distance to the venue. In that case 31 other counties have had this advantage over Kerry for every semi final and final for the last 100 years without ever a word of complaint from Kerry. Kerry being begrudged their one time having this so called advantage.

What the hell are you on about?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Halfquarter

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2014, 08:14:56 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2014, 12:57:58 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 29, 2014, 12:15:02 AM
Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2014, 11:34:33 PM
Coldrick should resign with immediate effect.

He saw something on the field that 50k odd people in croker didnt.

Thats either total stupidity or complete pre-determined bias against us.
Those 50,000 people are definitely all odd if they couldn't see what Coldrick and everybody else who saw the incident saw.

You re a gas man and long may you run a stór.
Has it not occurred to you/and a lot of others that Coldrick didn t make his decision on what he saw but reacted to a superb acting display by Donnacha Walsh. Walsh had been setting up Keegan all day to get a reaction he could sing and dance about.
I suspect Coldrick felt awful silly when he watched replay - he s refed tougher games and fell for that.
Do people not realise that Coldrick deliberately wrote his report that way, realising he d been conned. He would have buried Keegan in report if video had showed he tried to kick somebody in the balls or anywhere. Which is what Walsh tried to convince the ref he did - very deliberately and effectively. A con job and not the usual reaction from a player to dirty play. The usual thing is a player will wade in silly. Walsh was waiting for any reaction to try and get player sent off - and he succeeded. The ref saw through it after though.
Were you similarly apoplectic when Aidan O'Shea went down holding his face after he'd been hit in the chest by a Kerry lad? It did only last a few seconds as he realised nobody was buying his charade, but was caught on camera.

My view from the beginning on the Keegan incident was that if Coldrick had seen the replay and seen he didnt actually make contact, that he wouldnt have sent him off. (Even if "attempting to kick" is technically a sending off offence). Bizarre all the same that he's got off, but good for the game and maybe now with a day to go people can start concentating on the football.

Bizarre bringing up Aidan O'Shea's name .He was surely the most fouled player in Croak Park this year, he had two or three players swinging out of him every time he went anywhere near the ball.

rosnarun

Did Keegan aim a kick? Yes.

Is a kick a red card offence? Yes.

Is an attempted kick a red card offence? Yes.

Under the rules was he correctly sent off? Yes

Did the referee send in an accurate report ? no

is this grounds for quashing a red card? yes

should suspension be lifted ?   yes

Can Keegan play sunday ? yes

Are either actions morally justifable No but are 'Tecnically in line with the Rules'

So Whats everyones  Problem?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

heffo

Right decision overall

Players trying to get others players sent off (a la Walsh last week and Cassidy in 2011) should be sent off

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM
Right decision overall

Players trying to get others players sent off (a la Walsh last week and Cassidy in 2011) should be sent off

When soccer bring in that rule you can rest assured we'll follow suit. A booking in soccer for diving isn't it at the minute ?.

The Gaa disciplinary system is archaic. The hearings, appeals and DRA avenues are seriously flawed and need urgent attention.

J OGorman

Quote from: highorlow on August 29, 2014, 09:23:48 AM
QuoteThe perception down here (rightly or wrongly) is that we did not get the decisions in the final third and a score from frees stat of 1-5 to 0-2 does support this view.

Ye got enough in the last 5 mins to give ye the draw. Also Sheeans last free was debatable. Coldrick indeed gave us a few soft ones particularly a free for A.Dillion.

Anyhow a draw was the fairest result.

Ironically the ref the next day will suit ye lads as he appears to think our crowding out defensive style is fouling.

I thought we had the upper hand with or without Keegan so our boys will take it in the last 20 minutes.

it is fouling but. How can 3/4 players swarming a man all be tackling the ball? Its not possible.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2014, 11:28:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2014, 11:23:53 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 28, 2014, 11:14:43 PM
Seems Keegan got off on a technicality - Coldrick's report said it was for kick with minimal force. But since the kick never connected, it should have been for attempted kick with minimal force...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-s-lee-keegan-cleared-to-line-out-in-semi-final-replay-with-kerry-1.1911292

.... which is also a red card offence.

Fierce objective of ya, Jinxy.

Ye must be fairly chuffed to get the Westport man back for the big match all the same, though?

I've mixed feelings Syf.
We'll need him tomorrow but the way it was handled sticks in my craw.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

In fairness the ref did give you a number of soft frees after that sending off and ignored some fouls on the Kerry forwards.

I've watched the game again, I cant see many soft frees. What I can see is persistent fouling of AOS.
This line seems to have taken hold but its complete nonsense, Kerry should have had black cards left, right and centre
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 29, 2014, 01:47:38 AM

David Coldrick had a very poor day at the office the last day.  The perception down here (rightly or wrongly) is that we did not get the decisions in the final third and a score from frees stat of 1-5 to 0-2 does support this view.
All that stat supports is that Mayo have the best defensive unit in the country and can tackle, unlike the GBH that was going on up the other end of the pitch.

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2014, 08:14:56 AM
Were you similarly apoplectic when Aidan O'Shea went down holding his face after he'd been hit in the chest by a Kerry lad? It did only last a few seconds as he realised nobody was buying his charade, but was caught on camera.

AOS was fouled, literally, everytime he got the ball, in most cases by more than one player
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hardy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 29, 2014, 10:18:13 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

In fairness the ref did give you a number of soft frees after that sending off and ignored some fouls on the Kerry forwards.

I've watched the game again, I cant see many soft frees. What I can see is persistent fouling of AOS.
This line seems to have taken hold but its complete nonsense, Kerry should have had black cards left, right and centre

Black cards aren't allowed at semi-final/final stage.

It's not in the written version of the rules, but sure what difference does that make? (Other than for the rules about clerical transgressions, which are enforced fanatically.)

Bingo

Quote from: orangeman on August 29, 2014, 09:41:24 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM
Right decision overall

When soccer bring in that rule you can rest assured we'll follow suit. A booking in soccer for diving isn't it at the minute ?.

The Gaa disciplinary system is archaic. The hearings, appeals and DRA avenues are seriously flawed and need urgent attention.

That sums it up.

We moan and complain about refs not applying rules and taking the soft or easy option all year. Incidents like this only increase the likely hood of this happening. When would a ref make a big call in games knowing that all week the media will focus on it with the "he was right by the rules but...." the main theme. Then a hearings committee will overturn it on a technicality. GAA rules and application are a joke shop. Managers, administrators are as bad as they'll always chase this option.

Collie Brolly

Quote from: Sidney on August 29, 2014, 08:55:56 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 29, 2014, 08:51:47 AM
Enough of the whinging Sidney, the decision won't change, i think we should just get on with the game. 8)
No whinging. Dublin have been the beneficiaries of this type of thing before.

I'm just trying to state the facts here.

Somebody needs to do it.

Well said Sidney.But you need to realise the those from Rhubarbland go a bit,well Rhubarb at this time of year and the can't see the wood from the trees.They should come crashing back down to earth sometime in late September.