Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2014, 12:29:09 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2014, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 28, 2014, 11:20:37 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 28, 2014, 11:14:43 PM
Seems Keegan got off on a technicality - Coldrick's report said it was for kick with minimal force. But since the kick never connected, it should have been for attempted kick with minimal force...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-s-lee-keegan-cleared-to-line-out-in-semi-final-replay-with-kerry-1.1911292

So Coldrick basically got his wording incorrect in his report but both offences are red card offences. But because he got his wording wrong...

That's what I was thinking - it seems very pedantic to me. I'm glad he's playing as he is a class act but the the sooner the GAA rewrite their whole rule book with the help of legal experts and close all the loop holes and technicalities the better. A red card shouldn't be rescinded because the ref wrote the wrong words in his report.

I just don't get this.
Coldrick is a top ref. I very much doubt he s illiterate!

You can be sure he watched the video spot the incident before  wording his report. He would have been embarrassed by being conned by Walsh s camp Larry Grayson dancing impression. Imo Colderick deliberately left a loophole because he knew he was duped. Doubt the ref be giving Donnacha Walsh anything the next day after that con job. Colderick knew exactly what he was writing and probably the most relieved man about that Keegan can play.

So you are suggesting that Coldrick has written is report incorrectly and hung himself out to dry over some sense of moral revenge on the Kerry lads for duping him? Well I suppose that's one way of looking at it ..... If you are a complete lunatic! I love listening to you Mayo lads, you just lose the plot this time of year every year. I really hope you win the All Ireland this time round as I fear a few of you are losing your sanity.  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

manfromdelmonte

Who would want to be a ref?

Ridiculous that players and counties don't just take their punishment anymore.
Connolly last year now this.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2014, 11:34:33 PM
Coldrick should resign with immediate effect.

He saw something on the field that 50k odd people in croker didnt.

Thats either total stupidity or complete pre-determined bias against us.
In fairness the ref did give you a number of soft frees after that sending off and ignored some fouls on the Kerry forwards.

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

In fairness the ref did give you a number of soft frees after that sending off and ignored some fouls on the Kerry forwards.

Yes this is one of those unwritten Gaa rules.

A harsh sending off shall be followed by 15 minutes of bias.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on August 29, 2014, 12:15:02 AM

Those 50,000 people are definitely all odd if they couldn't see what Coldrick and everybody else who saw the incident saw.

You re a gas man and long may you run a stór.
Has it not occurred to you/and a lot of others that Coldrick didn t make his decision on what he saw but reacted to a superb acting display by Donnacha Walsh. Walsh had been setting up Keegan all day to get a reaction he could sing and dance about.
I suspect Coldrick felt awful silly when he watched replay - he s refed tougher games and fell for that.
Do people not realise that Coldrick deliberately wrote his report that way, realising he d been conned. He would have buried Keegan in report if video had showed he tried to kick somebody in the balls or anywhere. Which is what Walsh tried to convince the ref he did - very deliberately and effectively. A con job and not the usual reaction from a player to dirty play. The usual thing is a player will wade in silly. Walsh was waiting for any reaction to try and get player sent off - and he succeeded. The ref saw through it after though.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Well, the one positive is at least there might be an end to the moaning and groaning now and we can look forward to a game of football.
Some of the stuff this week has been pitiful to be honest.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

SuperDooperCooper

Only the GAA could have taken a classic last Sunday and have nobody talking about it within 5  mins of the end. 

Limerick is a shocking decision; why would they bring a game there; Thurles maybe but Limerick is a crap stadium to watch a match in.  The stand has to have the worst gradient in the country and no matter where you sit a pole will obstruct your view of both goals.

Contrary to Mayo public opinion, Kerry do not train there every night; indeed we play there approximately once every 6 years in the Championship (last in 2011 & 2005 before that).  Underage game can be played there but rarely, usually NewCastleWest or Asketon.  Our club teams do play there a lot however which is how I know the stadium.  Nightmare to get out of as well due to the bridge.

The GAA must do something about suspensions.  When was the last time a player accepted a red card in a knock-out match & served a suspension? Galvin & Tomas O'Se for the QF in 2010; Ger Brennan for the QF in 2009 or Darragh for the Semi in 2008. It was a harsh sending off but the GAA disciplinary system is a farce.

This is the 6th time a red card was either overturned or not applied on video evidence since 2006 by a team we are facing next in the championship. The full list is Anthony Lynch in 2006; Noel O'Leary in 2007; Donnacha O'Connor in 2008; John Miscalla in 2009 & Diarmuid Connelly in 2011.

David Coldrick had a very poor day at the office the last day.  The perception down here (rightly or wrongly) is that we did not get the decisions in the final third and a score from frees stat of 1-5 to 0-2 does support this view.

We remain a work in progress; and while this will probably be Declan's last year (knee trouble) the squad has picked up valuable experience and we have come some distance since the Cork hammering in the League.

Mayo just have more to lose I feel. This coupled to the tighter pitch, greater physical presence and crap weather forecast will see a 6 point win for Mayo.  Traveling more in hope than confidence just like we did when we went to Cork this year and that didn't end that badly :-)

Aaron Boone

For neutral venues, the GAA draw a line on the map between the two counties and hope there is a suitable venue there. It usually means their favourite venues like Longford, Tullamore or Portlaoise get the fixture.

I'm in favour of Limerick this Sat as it's a unique occasion, but I wouldn't be in a rush to be travelling there.

Hound

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2014, 12:57:58 AM

Those 50,000 people are definitely all odd if they couldn't see what Coldrick and everybody else who saw the incident saw.

Has it not occurred to you/and a lot of others that Coldrick didn t make his decision on what he saw but reacted to a superb acting display by Donnacha Walsh. Walsh had been setting up Keegan all day to get a reaction he could sing and dance about.
I suspect Coldrick felt awful silly when he watched replay - he s refed tougher games and fell for that.
Do people not realise that Coldrick deliberately wrote his report that way, realising he d been conned. He would have buried Keegan in report if video had showed he tried to kick somebody in the balls or anywhere. Which is what Walsh tried to convince the ref he did - very deliberately and effectively. A con job and not the usual reaction from a player to dirty play. The usual thing is a player will wade in silly. Walsh was waiting for any reaction to try and get player sent off - and he succeeded. The ref saw through it after though.
Were you similarly apoplectic when Aidan O'Shea went down holding his face after he'd been hit in the chest by a Kerry lad? It did only last a few seconds as he realised nobody was buying his charade, but was caught on camera.

My view from the beginning on the Keegan incident was that if Coldrick had seen the replay and seen he didnt actually make contact, that he wouldnt have sent him off. (Even if "attempting to kick" is technically a sending off offence). Bizarre all the same that he's got off, but good for the game and maybe now with a day to go people can start concentating on the football.

blanketattack

This is the first time I've heard of a perceived advantage due a shorter distance to the venue. In that case 31 other counties have had this advantage over Kerry for every semi final and final for the last 100 years without ever a word of complaint from Kerry. Kerry being begrudged their one time having this so called advantage.

Sidney

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2014, 12:57:58 AM

Did Keegan aim a kick? Yes.

Is a kick a red card offence? Yes.

Is an attempted kick a red card offence? Yes.

Under the rules was he correctly sent off? Yes.

These are the only questions and answers we need to know.

Whether the kick was on the low end of the kicking spectrum is irrelevant. Donncha Walsh's reaction has nothing to with anything here.

Keegan has got off on a technicality. Arguing anything else is an acrobatic act of mental gymnastics to rival those of pro-Israel forum posters.

ballinaman

Enough of the whinging Sidney, the decision won't change, i think we should just get on with the game. 8)

Sidney

Quote from: ballinaman on August 29, 2014, 08:51:47 AM
Enough of the whinging Sidney, the decision won't change, i think we should just get on with the game. 8)
No whinging. Dublin have been the beneficiaries of this type of thing before.

I'm just trying to state the facts here.

Somebody needs to do it.