Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Quote from: God14 on August 21, 2013, 08:01:31 PM
What's the story with the Moy Park deal lads? It's great to see them invest some cash in Tyrone GAA, however... What do Moy Park get out of it? What's the difference in a title sponsor (hunky dory) and a "brand sponsor"??
Wasn't there a motion on congress passed for a second shirt sponsor?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oSu2zRW5I

Fuzzman

So 10 years on from our first AI final and how does Tyrone rate?
Well we have our new facilities up and running and we've more or less replaced most of the 2003 team to reasonable effect. Yes we've not won Sam for 5 years now but Mickey has introduced quite a few new young players who seem well capable of keeping us in the running for the top prize.
Not many would have expected to get to a Div 1 league final & AI semi this year so ye can slag off Mickey Harte & Tyrone's style all ye like but it's a great achievement for him to have us as one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the country having lost so many good players over the years.

High Hopes for 2014
Morgan, McGinley, McCurry & McAliskey, Mat Donnelly, Conor Clarke, McNamee & McKenna,  Ronan O'Neill, Coney & Peter Harte of course.
Any new lads coming through like McNulty or Lavery?

Concerned about
SON, Penrose, Justy & Peter Harte of course.
Will Block stay another year? Will McNabb ever get fit enough to be a regular?

I'd be keen to get more of the young lads starting during the league and not be always looking to Penrose and Stevie. Surely Grugan deserves a run out at MF to see how he goes.

I finally got a chance to watch the AI Live coverage yesterday and I heard Spillane & Brolly agree that there are no more good man to man markers anywhere in the country. It's a dying skill with the over dependance on sweepers and defensive systems.

Will Packie retire and Morgan be our new quarterback & top scorer?

Will the black card change our sytle of play radically or will Mickey continue with a running possession style game? Are many fans tired with this style of game & are we no longer an attack minded team that kick pass the ball regularly. Has Donegal's dominance over us in the last 3 years shaped how we play the game now?

I'd worry he'll look to continue running game even more as more pressure on other team to tackle better and not drag down etc.
I have to say I and loads more people I Know really dislike the way we approach games over the past number of years. It is so slow and laborious build up from the back. Our choice of playing a sweeper often means the opponents then do the same and so our forward line is always clogged up and we can't hit in long ball to them.

Why do we seem to never score goals any more? Goals win matches and look at Brogan's first goal v Mayo. We very rarely will kick a ball into our FF like that any more.
Again is it because we play it slowly up the field from the back with short hand passing?

So what's the best path for 2014?
Tyrone v Down in Omagh (think back to 2005 or 2008)
Away to Monaghan (reigning champions out for revenge)
Tyrone Armagh/Cavan
Donegal or Derry in the final.

Lose to Down
Go back door & play 4 more games (only 1 more than Ulster route) on the road and hope to avoid any big guns.

LeoMc

Getting withdrawal symptoms down there in Dublin Fuzzman?
Everyone else is looking at the club scene.

Under Lights

Some interesting points Fuzzman.

From what I believe trails for 2014 will take place in November.

Have we had any official retirements?
I can only see Packie and maybe Stevie O'Neill walking away. Joe McMahon has committed for 2014.
I would expect Conor Gormley to have an extended break and return at the halfway point of the National League.
2014 may well be last chance saloon for the likes of Justin McMahon (struggled since 2008) and Aidan Cassidy.
God knows what's going to happen with McCarron.

I would expect an overturn in the bench fodder or Kevin Gallagher, Johnny Lafferty, etc where they have got past that age where they can be considered for the future. The likes of Tieran McCann will stay on because of this. Hopefully an extended run for Grugan and maybe even see if Warnock can step up.

New faces added to the panel could be: Shay McGuigan, Stefan Tierney, Richie Donnelly,PJ Lavery and Rory Brennan. I wouldn't be adverse to throwing Frank Burns into the mix either.

Team for first National League Match:
1. Morgan
2. Clarke
3. Joe McMahon
4. Aidan McCrory
5. Ryan McKenna
6. Justin McMahon
7. Peter Harte
8. Grugan
9. Colm Cavanagh
10. Ciaran McGinley
11. Kyle Coney- Sink or Swim
12.  Matty Donnelly
13. McCurry/Ronan O'Neill
14. Sean Cavanagh
15. McAliskey

Tyrone Gaa

Tyrone National League Fixtures

Derry vs Tyrone (1st Feb 7pm)

Tyrone vs Mayo (9th Feb 2pm)

Kildare vs Tyrone (2nd Mar 2pm)

Kerry vs Tyrone (9th March 2pm)

Tyrone vs Westmeath (16th Mar 2pm)

Cork vs Tyrone (30th Mar 2pm)

Tyrone vs Dublin (6th Apr 2pm)

Some tricky away fixtures plenty of travelling.  3 Home games, 4 Away games.  Season tickets holders will see the deep south.
Living the dream!!!

Fuzzman

Yeah with CNG relegated weeks ago and I'm fed up listening to the Dubs going on about their AI the only thing I can look forward to now is the next battle of Omagh.

I was telling a few mates at the start of the league how I'm looking forward to seeing Coney, RoNeill, McCurry & McAliskey all settle into the team and become regulars hopefully in 2013. Injuries again seem to dominate a lot of the talk over such players as well as McNabb, Justy & Cassidy.

How does Grugan compare with Clarke? I was surprised Grugan didn't get a run out in those back door games last year, especially when we were hammering Offaly.
Are we to expect more of the same next year with Ronnie & Coney out injured a lot?

We always seem to get Derry away in the first round when they're in our league. We never beat them there.

Away to Kerry & Cork will be tough again.

Redhand Santa

Why are Tyrone away to Kildare 2 years in a row? All the other fixtures are reversed. Did we not have 4 away games last year? - Mayo, Dublin, Down and Kildare. Maybe its just a mistake - has to be.

Under Lights

Any idea of what date the first round of the Ulster Championship is? I'm trying to sort the Club Fixtures for 2014.

Wee Roddy

I don't think Grugan is the required standard to be honest. McCann is probably a better prospect simply because he is more of a grafter. I think Tyrone could do a lot worse than look at Dawyne Quinn and Ruairi Loughran on Sundays evidence. PJ Lavery has been a free man this past 2 championship games so the jury is out on him.

Under Lights

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 16, 2013, 12:22:49 PM
I don't think Grugan is the required standard to be honest. McCann is probably a better prospect simply because he is more of a grafter. I think Tyrone could do a lot worse than look at Dawyne Quinn and Ruairi Loughran on Sundays evidence. PJ Lavery has been a free man this past 2 championship games so the jury is out on him.

Towards the end of this season (2013) it was widely reported that Tiernan McCann and Sean Warnock were seen as two of the top performers in Mickey Harte's copyrighted 'In House Games'.
I personally don't really buy into these games as I always find it easier for a 'newbie' to motivate themselves for these. I couldn't see the likes of Conor Gormley or Joe McMahon being that buzzing during them.

Would like to see Joe getting the number 3 jersey permanently.

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: Under Lights on October 16, 2013, 10:11:38 AM

I can only see Packie and maybe Stevie O'Neill walking away. Joe McMahon has committed for 2014.
I would expect Conor Gormley to have an extended break and return at the halfway point of the National League.
2014 may well be last chance saloon for the likes of Justin McMahon (struggled since 2008) and Aidan Cassidy.

I would expect an overturn in the bench fodder or Kevin Gallagher, Johnny Lafferty, etc where they have got past that age where they can be considered for the future. The likes of Tieran McCann will stay on because of this. Hopefully an extended run for Grugan and maybe even see if Warnock can step up.

New faces added to the panel could be: Shay McGuigan, Stefan Tierney, Richie Donnelly,PJ Lavery and Rory Brennan. I wouldn't be adverse to throwing Frank Burns into the mix either.

1. Morgan
2. Clarke
3. Joe McMahon
4. Aidan McCrory
5. Ryan McKenna
6. Justin McMahon
7. Peter Harte
8. Grugan
9. Colm Cavanagh
10. Ciaran McGinley
12.  Matty Donnelly
14. Sean Cavanagh
15. McAliskey

we'd struggle to win a McKenna cup with that side.
Mark Donnelly for his work-rate and team contribution would start all day long in that forward line id say ahead of Coney at 11.
Conor Gormley is still so far ahead of all them defenders named there it doesnt bare even thinking about the trouble them 6 defenders would endure if he wasn't part of Tyrones defence in 2014 hes a certain starter if he makes himself available.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

God14

The trials will be very interesting this year. Wonder will Ray Mulgrew, Tommy McGuigan or Colly Doris get another chance at it? The same applies to Niall McKenna although obviously he's a fair bit younger.
In terms of the younger talent coming through id agree with most of the names mentioned previously and add Tommy Canavan & Niall Sludden (if over injury)
Daniel McNulty would offer the full forward line something totally different from RON, skeet & McCurry & should definitely be considered.
Would Harry Og Conlan be in consideration at all? Havnt seen nor heard much of him since this past 12months but looked promising as a youngster.
Conan Grugan looked the part in 2012 club championship, but injuries etc seem to have taken him back a step. Looking from the outside, being part of the county panel seemed to be a hindrance in terms of getting games & getting back up to previous level.
Dean McNally from Kildress is one I thought had the potential to be a real sticky man marker & initially made the cut last year. Worth another look imho.
Kyle Coney is the great enigma. Could be a contender for player of the year in 2014, or might not kick a ball.
Either way Mickey has a lot to ponder & some big calls to make this side of Christmas.

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: God14 on October 16, 2013, 01:11:11 PM
The trials will be very interesting this year. Wonder will Ray Mulgrew, Tommy McGuigan or Colly Doris get another chance at it? The same applies to Niall McKenna although obviously he's a fair bit younger.
In terms of the younger talent coming through id agree with most of the names mentioned previously and add Tommy Canavan & Niall Sludden (if over injury)
Daniel McNulty would offer the full forward line something totally different from RON, skeet & McCurry & should definitely be considered.
Would Harry Og Conlan be in consideration at all? Havnt seen nor heard much of him since this past 12months but looked promising as a youngster.
Conan Grugan looked the part in 2012 club championship, but injuries etc seem to have taken him back a step. Looking from the outside, being part of the county panel seemed to be a hindrance in terms of getting games & getting back up to previous level.
Dean McNally from Kildress is one I thought had the potential to be a real sticky man marker & initially made the cut last year. Worth another look imho.
Kyle Coney is the great enigma. Could be a contender for player of the year in 2014, or might not kick a ball.
Either way Mickey has a lot to ponder & some big calls to make this side of Christmas.

Think Dean McNally suffered horrific injury last season i doubt if h available.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Under Lights

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on October 16, 2013, 12:53:21 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 16, 2013, 10:11:38 AM

1. Morgan
2. Clarke
3. Joe McMahon
4. Aidan McCrory
5. Ryan McKenna
6. Justin McMahon
7. Peter Harte
8. Grugan
9. Colm Cavanagh
10. Ciaran McGinley
12.  Matty Donnelly
14. Sean Cavanagh
15. McAliskey

we'd struggle to win a McKenna cup with that side.
Mark Donnelly for his work-rate and team contribution would start all day long in that forward line id say ahead of Coney at 11.
Conor Gormley is still so far ahead of all them defenders named there it doesnt bare even thinking about the trouble them 6 defenders would endure if he wasn't part of Tyrones defence in 2014 hes a certain starter if he makes himself available.

In the paragraph leading up to the team I suggested that Conor Gormley may have an extended break to mid national league. Wind. Your. Neck. In.

Also its the chance to see how the likes of Coney etc will do with an extended run. I wouldn't care how Tyrone finish in the National League- would like to see if certain players are up to this level.

Tommo2

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 16, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

Define Grafter and confirm who you are referring to?