Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 30, 2020, 07:57:24 PM
Haven't read anything to suggest this is on Ashley, he seems to be in need of the money with Covid issues crippling his other businesses. The Premier League look to have stone walled the Saudis and they got sick of it.
Absolutely. None of the reports blaming Ashley, and the Saudis themselves issued a statement blaming the premier league and didn't mention any problem with Ashley.

It's funny a lot of the media reporting now has completely turned on its head and implying the poor Saudis couldn't get a break from the Premier League. I'd say the Saudis saw the writing on the wall that they wouldn't be approved so took this decision before being formally told to feck off. I wonder could all the apparent sympathy for the saudis and the "heartbroken Newcastle fans" lead to a re-think

GetOverTheBar

Jim White on Talksport this morning said he been speaking directly to Amanda Stavely and that they would be back with another bid. Turns out the Saudis illegally stream from Bein sports to the country which caused the issue. They were due to pump another 250million in on top of the bid to buy.

The Premier League haven't said a word, actually very poor from them to be honest, the Newcastle fans deserve the right to know whats happened.

laoislad

Community Shield Semi Final about to start. I forgot it was even on today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on August 01, 2020, 05:16:26 PM
Community Shield Semi Final about to start. I forgot it was even on today.

God be with the days when you'd have FA Cup coverage the whole morning and afternoon leading up final on the TV.

quit yo jibbajabba

2 hammys and a dodgy red. Not Chelseas day

Cunny Funt

Dave Sexton (1971) since Chelsea won a Cup final managed by a English man. Arsenal love the FA Cup especially playing Chelsea in the final.

sid waddell

Fat Frank's managerial performance there was hilarious.

Throroughly outplayed and outfoxed by a coach who actually knows what he's doing, a panicked triple substitution summed things up, his body language throughout was atrocious. You look at Arteta and see a guy who comes across really well, with good man management skills and tactical nous, you look at Frank and see a self absorbed, entitled dickhead.

Frank went to private school because his Dad was a footballer, and votes Tory. In the eyes of the English press that automatically makes him smart. But going to private school because you come from a wealthy background and voting Tory does not make you smart. It might get you a life peerage, maybe Frank will be belatedly added to yesterday's list for that performance, it would be in keeping with the rest of the list.

Frank is a dunderhead, a mediocrity promoted way beyond his level of ability due to privilege. He's also the latest in a long line of former "macho man", "old school" midfield general managerial mediocrities, following in the footsteps of Souness, Robson, Keane and Gerrard (and I loved two of those as players).

But management is a different skill set entirely. You need an actual brain and people skills to manage which is why these guys don't cut it, and why old school products of UK football don't cut it anymore in management. It'll take the newer, more socially aware generation of British footballers coming through as coaches in 10-15 years' time to change that.

Milltown Row2

Jesus!!! Champions league football secured, was unlucky with the red card today, was barely a foul never mind a second yellow. Dominated most of the game I felt and last throw of the dice was making three subs as he'd lost two players through injury and had only one opportunity to put on subs due to this new rule!

Outstanding players don't always make good managers, plenty fail. But he's been doing it a wet week ffs! And going to private school? WTF votes Tory? Automatically makes you a shit manager! ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Lampard, old school midfield general?

*scratches head*

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2020, 09:34:51 PM
Jesus!!! Champions league football secured, was unlucky with the red card today, was barely a foul never mind a second yellow. Dominated most of the game I felt and last throw of the dice was making three subs as he'd lost two players through injury and had only one opportunity to put on subs due to this new rule!

Outstanding players don't always make good managers, plenty fail. But he's been doing it a wet week ffs! And going to private school? WTF votes Tory? Automatically makes you a shit manager! ?
But I didn't say going to a private school or voting Tory automatically makes you a shit manager. I said it doesn't automatically make you a good one.

Chelsea were thoroughly outplayed. If they'd put in that performance under Sarri supporters would have been howling for the manager's head but Frank gets a pass because of who he is.

54 goals conceded in 38 league games. Frank has winged it in a big way this season with other clubs around Chelsea's level having poor seasons, with a low points total required for fourth place. Even Manchester United in third are a very mediocre team who got a big kick from one very good signing. Chelsea were taken apart in Europe by Bayern Munich and if Munich want to they could give Chelsea a serious thrashing next week. I don't see Arsenal and Spurs being as poor again next season as they were for much of this season and I expect a reckoning is not too far off for Frank.

BennyCake

Ridiculous red card decision.

6th player sent off in a FA Cup Final. Kevin Moran first. Who's the other four?

SHEEDY

Quote from: BennyCake on August 01, 2020, 10:25:18 PM

Jose Antonio reyes 2005, Pablo zabaleta 2013, Chris smalling 2016, Victor moses 2017
nil satis nisi optimum

ONeill

Quote from: sid waddell on August 01, 2020, 09:59:52 PM

But I didn't say going to a private school or voting Tory automatically makes you a shit manager. I said it doesn't automatically make you a good one.

Chelsea were thoroughly outplayed. If they'd put in that performance under Sarri supporters would have been howling for the manager's head but Frank gets a pass because of who he is.

54 goals conceded in 38 league games. Frank has winged it in a big way this season with other clubs around Chelsea's level having poor seasons, with a low points total required for fourth place. Even Manchester United in third are a very mediocre team who got a big kick from one very good signing. Chelsea were taken apart in Europe by Bayern Munich and if Munich want to they could give Chelsea a serious thrashing next week. I don't see Arsenal and Spurs being as poor again next season as they were for much of this season and I expect a reckoning is not too far off for Frank.

Chelsea were not thoroughly outplayed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on August 01, 2020, 09:59:52 PM

60/40 possession... were you actually watching another game?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: SHEEDY on August 01, 2020, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 01, 2020, 10:25:18 PM

Jose Antonio reyes 2005, Pablo zabaleta 2013, Chris smalling 2016, Victor moses 2017

Ah yes, that Smalling tube. How could I forget him. Feckin' balloon.

Don't remember Moses.