Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2020, 03:02:24 PM
Teams who run away with the title like Liverpool (or United in 2000 and 2001), rarely get the credit they deserve. Teams who win a tight, close race always seem to get more credit and are better remembered.

Would agree with that but I genuinely think this Liverpool team will be seen in the group of great teams. They pushed City last year to the very edge and everyone believed that City team was the greatest ever. They were in back to back CL finals winning one and in a EL final and League Cup final which they lost. I think once they got the monkey off their back there was no holding back. I have seen some outstanding Liverpool teams but as an 11 or maybe up to 14-15 players, I have never seen better.

Taylor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2020, 03:08:37 PM
Teams who run away with the title like Liverpool (or United in 2000 and 2001), rarely get the credit they deserve. Teams who win a tight, close race always seem to get more credit and are better remembered.

Would agree with that but I genuinely think this Liverpool team will be seen in the group of great teams. They pushed City last year to the very edge and everyone believed that City team was the greatest ever. They were in back to back CL finals winning one and in a EL final and League Cup final which they lost. I think once they got the monkey off their back there was no holding back. I have seen some outstanding Liverpool teams but as an 11 or maybe up to 14-15 players, I have never seen better.

You are right about the 11 Liverpool have - unbelievable.

Wouldnt say there are another 3 or 4 players outside of that who are outstanding - not even close?

johnnycool

I hear what you're saying about the league last year, CL, Super Cup, World club and all that but I think they really won't want to be remembered as the one in a row team and will bust their balls next year.

shark

Quote from: johnnycool on June 26, 2020, 04:00:47 PM

I hear what you're saying about the league last year, CL, Super Cup, World club and all that but I think they really won't want to be remembered as the one in a row team and will bust their balls next year.

and now they can set themselves up with a nice starting advantage for next season. they have the next 7 games off (if they want) while many of their rivals will still be pushing hard for champions league qualification.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2020, 03:55:38 PM

Wouldnt say there are another 3 or 4 players outside of that who are outstanding - not even close?

Matip, Milner and Keita are top players and would start in most teams. They are not as good as the players that start but a serious players

gawa316

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2020, 05:04:29 PM

Matip, Milner and Keita are top players and would start in most teams. They are not as good as the players that start but a serious players

I'd add the Ox to that as well

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on June 26, 2020, 04:00:47 PM

Can't see anyone but City challenging Liverpool next season. The others are nowhere near winning a title.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gawa316 on June 26, 2020, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2020, 05:04:29 PM

I'd add the Ox to that as well

Absolutely

Cunny Funt

When it comes to outstanding I'd reserve that word for Klopp. How many of Liverpools current first choice 11 was regarded as world class or even known worldwide before Klopp got the very best out of them both individually and collectively?

The most impressive thing about Klopps Liverpool team over the years has been their team play and workrate. The energy levels are highly impressive also.

The structures of the club are so solid nowadays a far cry from the mess they were once in and Klopp is working behind the scenes with very astute people especially Michael Edwards.

A better challenge(er) in a better quality Premier league might happen next season though I'd be very surprised if Liverpool don't retain the league title.

imtommygunn

Where's the poster stallion with all his reservations about Klopp? (Unless he has been reincarnated as another poster.)

Milltown Row2

Stallion was never a Liverpool supporter! Complete dick, there's another poster on there also who's not but claiming to be one! Why would you bother?

Again the football has be outstanding and Klopp is something else, 4ish years to turn a club around to what they are now is some going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

Klopp fixed the main problem in the team which was the defence and goalkeeper.  Though he persisted with Mignolet for a while, and then Karius. His calamity in the champions league final v Madrid, paved the way for an upgrade.  He held back Robertson for a while, Moreno was left back for a while, his horror show v Sevilla in EL was a glaring flaw in defence.

He's turned Salah into a top player. Mourinho had him and Dr Bruyne at Chelsea and gave up on them fairly quick.

imtommygunn

I don't think Robertson was ready for that intensity of game though when Moreno was first choice. I think he even said it himself.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2020, 09:56:12 PM
I don't think Robertson was ready for that intensity of game though when Moreno was first choice. I think he even said it himself.

Same with Fabinho when he came in.

They had to work their way into it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2020, 11:58:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2020, 09:56:12 PM

Same with Fabinho when he came in.

They had to work their way into it.

Both players had potential and have went beyond where must people thought they'd be! Fair fucks to them to, brilliant players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea