Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 24, 2020, 12:41:13 PM
I get what you're saying about Villa. I know there are parachute payments for relegated teams but not sure if they would save them. That's a serious shortfall unless they can shift players. You'd expect them to fleece United though for Grealish so that would go a long way to putting a dent in that.

Don't forget that shortfall is stretched out over the course of the relevant contracts, from an accounting perspective. For example, £20m transfer fee for Mings on a 4 year deal is £5m per year. Whereas £50m (potentially) for Grealish is all accounted for in 1 go, as he is an academy product.
Either way - the owners will swallow any tab. The money spent last summer was a pittance for them. They would have spent multiples of that if they were not restricted by FFP.
The main fear now is FFP stifling the ability to rebuild and get promoted again (I can't see Villa staying up this season). But FFP could be suspended, or could even be dead altogether if Man City somehow win their appeal.

shark

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 24, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
Fair point about the owners being wealthy - So too are the Spurs and Utd owners, they just don't even dig into any of their own cash (rightly or wrongly). I don't know anything more about the owners of the club and their loyalty. It just strikes me insane if those two, raking in the cash or so I thought need to take out loans at (albeit at 0.5 or something) these clubs are not being run correctly if they can't handle a loss of income, which at that time was only at the very start of the pandemic....the next set of results will be even worse.

FFP being suspended might just get them off the hook alright but you have to imagine, if they did go down there would be a firesale with relegation clauses for anyone with a cute enough agent. Grealish is bound to have one, Mings surely too.

We don't know how long the no crowds will last, so I'm basing my assumption on the worst case scenario. Parachute payments are a nice comfort zone but missing out on that TV money would be major.

For what it's worth I hope Villa do stay up - I've no bias.

The lack of matchday income has hit Spurs disproportionally. They have just invested in a new stadium that was to be full to capacity for 19 league games a year. Their ticket prices are high, and the match day experience is expensive. They banked on this.
Many team, like Villa, rarely sell out, and sell tickets at a fraction of the price. If Villa tried to charge London prices for match tickets in Birmingham there would be nobody in the stadium.

Main Street

In order to add crowd atmosphere authenticity to the Liverpool games, Sky could  insert recordings of You'll Never Walk Alone taken from Celtic Park.

Gabriel_Hurl

Milltown Row2

Seems City are concentrating on the FA cup, 16/5 Chelsea at home fighting for points seems a good bet
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on June 25, 2020, 08:54:07 PM
WTF were City up to there? ;D
Was worse than the Gerrard slip imo.... ;)

Main Street

When you think of all the cra'p directed at Suarez for that goal line handball at WC 2010 qf. and here you have a similar incident in this game, an instinctive reaction in a high pressure game.

laoislad

4 mins.... to end 30 years of pain   

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Main Street on June 25, 2020, 10:03:51 PM
When you think of all the cra'p directed at Suarez for that goal line handball at WC 2010 qf. and here you have a similar incident in this game, an instinctive reaction in a high pressure game.

Tonight a high pressure game?

general

Fair play to liverpool - won the league on merit, be hard to stop again next year. if they keep hold of salah, firmino and  mane it wont be an issue next year. Man United Fan - Sickened to the skin.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2020, 10:09:20 PM

For Man City it was,  wasn't that obvious?
Any comment on the main point?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Main Street on June 25, 2020, 10:31:59 PM

For Manchester City it was not, Title was lost many months ago. A more important game for Chelsea who are looking to secure a Champions league spot.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2020, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 25, 2020, 10:31:59 PM

For Manchester City it was not, Title was lost many months ago. A more important game for Chelsea who are looking to secure a Champions league spot.
You missed the obvious, perhaps time to change your name?
How about Private Obvious?