Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Means the earliest they'll resume is now May 1st.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on March 19, 2020, 05:34:37 PM
Means the earliest they'll resume is now May 1st.

But 12 weeks from now is mid June when (depending on what stats/figures/graphs you look at) the flattening of the curve will be! Is that the safe time to have players engaging in football?

PL chief has new idea though to help

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

QuotePremier League executives have been told it will cost them £762 million in lost broadcast revenue if the 2019-20 season fails to finish due to the coronavirus, The Athletic can reveal.

The huge figure would come due to a breach of contract in terms agreed for domestic and international rights and was communicated to all 20 clubs during the crisis meeting at Premier League headquarters in London on Thursday morning.

The suspension is understood to be costing Sky, one of the two main domestic broadcasters, huge amounts per day as they are not charging many sports customers and cannot attract the same in advertising.

The clubs receive broadcast money twice a year, in August and February, so only recently received the cash for the end of the season.

Some clubs are determined to get games played behind doors so they don't lose the broadcast money, such is their vulnerable financial position. Their outgoings — players' wages in particular — are so high that they fear they cannot survive without it. They want games to go ahead and players to be regularly tested. Training grounds would be sealed off and players "wrapped in cotton wool" to protect them from contracting the virus.

J70

Was listening to the Athletic's Red Agenda podcast earlier, and one of them (Simon Hughes I think) was suggesting that this might be a good opportunity to start initiating a move to summer football, with a view to the 2022 World Cup. Basically, finish out the competitions, which could be late this calendar year, then start the new season in February or whenever. Pointed out that this could really help the lower leagues, semi-pro and on down, given the chronic loss of fixtures due to weather in winter months.

Well worth discussion, in my opinion.

And yeah, they reckoned the Sky Sports money would absolutely be a driver to putting finishing up the season at the very top of the list of options.

To me though, the fact that they're 3/4 way through should be the main consideration. Even if its off for six months, just get the season finished. Its the only fair outcome for everyone. The likes of Karen Brady should have to live with her poor administration of West Ham without getting a free pass. Liverpool get the chance to finish off an outstanding season's work, as do the likes of Leicester, Leeds, WBA etc. City get the chance to stick it to UEFA (their perception) by winning the Champions League after taking the scalp of Real Madrid.

Armamike

This season has to be completed regardless of when.  Whatever that means for next season, so be it. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

tyrone girl

I know in Scotland they have been told no football/ training  happening until at least June.

Boycey

Quote from: Armamike on March 20, 2020, 09:04:19 AM
This season has to be completed regardless of when.  Whatever that means for next season, so be it.

I reckon that's last thing they'll do? They are committed to trying to finish this season but there has to be a line in the sand drawn somewhere eventually. One season is at least partially destroyed, they won't want to risk another...

J70

Quote from: Boycey on March 20, 2020, 02:29:53 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 20, 2020, 09:04:19 AM

I reckon that's last thing they'll do? They are committed to trying to finish this season but there has to be a line in the sand drawn somewhere eventually. One season is at least partially destroyed, they won't want to risk another...

Given what those with a bit of expertise are saying, this thing may not be over for a year or more, with a few cycles of relaxing and ramping up social distancing restrictions to run through.

A modest, two month shot at finishing out the current season during one of the down periods may be more plausible than aiming to start a brand new season in the autumn.

Boycey

If the next season was gonna be cancelled yeah take as long as you like to finish it out but I couldn't see them saying ok it's safe to play football now for two months but after that it won't be? I'd reckon no clubs or the Premier League won't want next season to happen, multiple clubs will fold especially down the leagues where some are showing the strain already ..

rodney trotter

Henry Winter reckons it will September/October when football resumes. Some of the ex players are clueless about the situation, as if it's going to go ahead at end of April.

Boycey

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 22, 2020, 11:17:05 AM
Henry Winter reckons it will September/October when football resumes. Some of the ex players are clueless about the situation, as if it's going to go ahead at end of April.

I'd say the pundits, with the exception of Merson maybe  :), know the score they're just being paid to chat shite about it. When the next announcement comes they'll just chat about that, repeat ad infinitum.

BennyCake

They're probably keeping it relevant and talking it up to keep people in jobs, sponsors happy etc.

I'd say it's going to be 3/4 months before a ball is kicked but I suppose people need hope too, otherwise they'd crack up.

Boycey

Opened Paddy Power app the other night to see what they doing to amuse themselves, there was betting on the Nigaraguan and Myanmar football leagues  ;D. I then met a friend yesterday who trades football for Boylesports and he told me he was going to work yesterday evening to trade an online FIFA tournament.....

The gas thing is I'll bet there are people betting on these things  :o

thebigfella

Quote from: BennyCake on March 22, 2020, 12:35:36 PM
They're probably keeping it relevant and talking it up to keep people in jobs, sponsors happy etc.

I'd say it's going to be 3/4 months before a ball is kicked but I suppose people need hope too, otherwise they'd crack up.

The esports f1 on Sunday was surprisingly entertaining. Although I could have just put the game on myself and played  :)