Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

Quote from: Ryano on July 09, 2017, 07:51:10 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 04:51:47 PMI wouldn't even say we underestimated Roscommon.....

No, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a Rossie living in Galway and everybody from work colleagues down to the local (and national) media where signing Galways praises. It was just a matter of turning up and collecting their cup. The winning score line was going to be a cricket score. Confidence is all good and well but there was no humitily or even the usual GAA attempt at talking up the opposition, Ala Jim Gavin and Carlow/Westmeath for example. It was just smug condescending arrogance by and large from Galway and they got their answer today. Read the Tuam Hearld's piece for example....

That HAD to feed down to the players and it showed in their attitude today. That's not to take away from Roscommon's efforts, they were immence and fully deserving of their win. But Galway could have been, and are, a lot better than today's efforts.

I think it's doing a disservice to Roscommon to say galway underestimated them. They would have known from last years draw and the fact Roscommon have been playing division 1 football that it was a proper Connacht final.

Galway just didn't have the fight. I think this idea that Galway underestimated them gives our lads an easy out. Because if we played ye again next week I don't think the result would change.

We've known for a while we have a poor kick out strategy, our full back line is not fantastic and our half back line is porous enough. No Gaelic football supporter with any knowledge of the game would say it was a foregone conclusion. I don't think real Galway fans totally trust this team but thought that after beating mayo we'd learn from it and maybe win by 3 points.

I'll give you the media though, maybe our highlights reel with Shane Walsh making a donnellanssque run and Michael Daly popping a point makes us look better than we are to the casual observer. Our highlight reel obviously doesn't include some  junior defending that we are capable of.

Fair play to Roscommon they fully deserved their win. Was some pass for that goal in the first half

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2017, 06:49:53 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 09, 2017, 03:50:23 PM
Diarmuid Murtagh ankle ligaments at a minimum I reckon. Will do well to make the 1/4s.

Lads on SS were talking to him after the match and he said there was no significant damage and he should be fine for the AIQF. Just makes a great day a little better to know he's ok, he's obviously a big player for us.
He is blessed. Looked very nasty. Quality player

Cunny Funt

Superb stuff from the Rossies this afternoon. Showed just a glimpse of the huge potential and talent that is within this Roscommon group. Galway weren't let play their normal game they were out fought and out thought all over the field today and the Galway weakness of their goalkeeper and full back line was exploited and but for the 9 Roscommon wides that contest would have been over at Half time.

The after match celebrations showed what a provincial title means to a county like Roscommon and it would be a terrible shame if the provincials championships we scrapped.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 09, 2017, 08:17:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 07:53:53 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 04:51:47 PMI wouldn't even say we underestimated Roscommon.....

No, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a Rossie living in Galway and everybody from work colleagues down to the local (and national) media where signing Galways praises. It was just a matter of turning up and collecting their cup. The winning score line was going to be a cricket score. Confidence is all good and well but there was no humitily or even the usual GAA attempt at talking up the opposition, Ala Jim Gavin and Carlow/Westmeath for example. It was just smug condescending arrogance by and large from Galway and they got their answer today. Read the Tuam Hearld's piece for example....

That HAD to feed down to the players and it showed in their attitude today. That's not to take away from Roscommon's efforts, they were immence and fully deserving of their win. But Galway could have been, and are, a lot better than today's efforts.

Galway are the most over-rated team in the country.

What have they achieved to date?

Very very little when you examine the evidence. Galway have achieved absolutely nothing in the last decade to consider themselves a foregone conclusion against anything other then a Div 3/4 side.

Still living off the back of Padraig Joyce, Donnellan , Mannion and the great players they once had

That's a bit harsh! Galway have been looking to get back to some level of competitiveness for the last 10 years. Once you fall out of the loop it's hard to get back in again. You say what have they achieved. Well they have beaten a still decent Mayo team in Championship the last two years. They have got into Division One and they have won a Connacht title. They are not the real deal. But they have made progress and have put themselves to be in the position to make progress. I know this may be hard for a person from Dublin to appreciate with all the advantages that go with the Dublin County and Club scene.

Galway is one of the premier GAA counties with stacks of cash behind them.

Problem is they don't deliver on the big day anymore a we saw against Tipperary last year.

It's got nothing to do with appreciating anything. Its'called delivery of performance

cornetto

Ross were best today no doubt,galways inadequacies shown up quiet dramatically,who is to blame is for another day.even though at the match was too far away to see the flare up at the end, ah it was unnescessary in an otherwise entaining match.am licking my wounds tonight after a few Guinness!!

Il Bomber Destro

Decent game today, Roscommon played some nice football.

Galway were really disappointing, Roscommon got into them from the start and you could see Galway didn't really fancy it, their defence is really lightweight and I felt they were pathetic when they game was in the melting pot in the last 15 minutes or so.

Mayo will beat them convincingly if they meet in the qaurters, Donegal are beatable as they're really struggling now but I think it will be tough for them with the gap between the games and having to come back down to earth.

Syferus

From the Bunker

seafoid has gone missing! Probably has gone looking for a music track to show how he is feeling.  ;)

Blowitupref

I didn't see it coming matter of fact i had this game to be tight with Galway to win a few points. Roscommon were truly outstanding and on the day were over 12 points the better team than a shell-shocked Galway.

McStay shipped his fair share amount of criticism but he and his management team really did the business in this final, homework done on their opposition and simply put Galway had no answer to their game plan and spot on tactics. The talented footballers was never in question in Roscommon anyone that follows underage or college football would know this but what made todays win all the more remarkable was they won at ease without so many top quality players like Neill Collins,Niall Daly,Ultan Harney and Conor Daly,David Keenan etc

As for Galway it about getting back on the horse after their fall today. They have beaten Mayo twice in the championship,won their first Connacht title in 8 years last summer and finally got promoted back to Div 1 that is big progress from where they were. Like Roscommon they are a young team with plenty of potential and loads of room for improvement which i believe both will do in the years ahead.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mouview

Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 11:16:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 09, 2017, 08:17:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 07:53:53 PM

Galway are the most over-rated team in the country.

What have they achieved to date?

Very very little when you examine the evidence. Galway have achieved absolutely nothing in the last decade to consider themselves a foregone conclusion against anything other then a Div 3/4 side.

Still living off the back of Padraig Joyce, Donnellan , Mannion and the great players they once had

That's a bit harsh! Galway have been looking to get back to some level of competitiveness for the last 10 years. Once you fall out of the loop it's hard to get back in again. You say what have they achieved. Well they have beaten a still decent Mayo team in Championship the last two years. They have got into Division One and they have won a Connacht title. They are not the real deal. But they have made progress and have put themselves to be in the position to make progress. I know this may be hard for a person from Dublin to appreciate with all the advantages that go with the Dublin County and Club scene.

Galway is one of the premier GAA counties with stacks of cash behind them.

Problem is they don't deliver on the big day anymore a we saw against Tipperary last year.

It's got nothing to do with appreciating anything. Its'called delivery of performance

They're hocked up to their necks in debt, thanks to the the Mountain South escapade.

Terrible, terrible performance once again from Galway; all their average players managed to coincide their poor performances altogether for some reason. Not good when 2 of the more praised players v Mayo, Brannigan and Heaney, were hooked at ht. FB a shambles, Flynn not close to county standard, GOD not close to county standard defender. Goalie out of his depth but not helped when his short kickouts were stupidly spilled by the receivers.

On this display, defeat v Donegal is inevitable (who will pick up Michael Murphy?). Will KW stay on then or does he really have to walk? For a third year in succession we've shipped a c'ship defeat of nearly a 10-point margin.

mouview

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2017, 12:55:19 AM
I didn't see it coming matter of fact i had this game to be tight with Galway to win a few points. Roscommon were truly outstanding and on the day were over 12 points the better team than a shell-shocked Galway.

McStay shipped his fair share amount of criticism but he and his management team really did the business in this final, homework done on their opposition and simply put Galway had no answer to their game plan and spot on tactics. The talented footballers was never in question in Roscommon anyone that follows underage or college football would know this but what made todays win all the more remarkable was they won at ease without so many top quality players like Neill Collins,Niall Daly,Ultan Harney and Conor Daly,David Keenan etc

As for Galway it about getting back on the horse after their fall today. They have beaten Mayo twice in the championship,won their first Connacht title in 8 years last summer and finally got promoted back to Div 1 that is big progress from where they were. Like Roscommon they are a young team with plenty of potential and loads of room for improvement which i believe both will do in the years ahead.

If I had a penny for every time I heard that! Galway's poor players are not young or inexperienced; Conroy's ratio of good-to-poor games is 50:50, not good enough. GOD isn't good enough, nor is Bradshaw anymore, they're incapable of defending.  Flynn and FOC were dual U-21 AI winners, but they really haven't developed into top midfielders we hoped they might. Armstrong's best years aren't ahead of him. Kyne is 26 at least and will never be good enough. it's not a question of hoping callow youth might mature into right players, it's too late.

weareros

Great day in Galway today. Had no traffic problems getting there and great Ros turnout that became more apparent when we won, bit  like 2010. Most happy to see that many of our best underage players have the ability to be great senior championship players, as we have not always done the best job at making that transition. Can't get carried away with one game. However, Mac had us well organised, positive game plan, very fit and hard working. Some wonderful scores from both teams, and two top class goals. Lots of players could be MOTM but Enda was outstanding in the area where we worried the most. The TV highlights did not do justice to Donie and Conor's points from the left - pure beauts. Hard luck to Galway, took defeat with a lot of grace and were wonderful hosts. Well capable of beating Donegal if they get the heads right.

Blowitupref

Quote from: mouview on July 10, 2017, 01:03:12 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2017, 12:55:19 AM

If I had a penny for every time I heard that! Galway's poor players are not young or inexperienced; Conroy's ratio of good-to-poor games is 50:50, not good enough. GOD isn't good enough, nor is Bradshaw anymore, they're incapable of defending.  Flynn and FOC were dual U-21 AI winners, but they really haven't developed into top midfielders we hoped they might. Armstrong's best years aren't ahead of him. Kyne is 26 at least and will never be good enough. it's not a question of hoping callow youth might mature into right players, it's too late.

Brannigan,Comer,Daly,Flynn,Heaney,Kerin,O Curraoin,Silke,Walsh on the Galway starting team today would all be in their early to mid 20s and in a few years time those players will the experienced players that could lead from the front and don't forget the amount of talent in Galway the have to should establish themselves as good seniors in the likes of McDaid,O Ceallaigh,Cooke etc.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Go home ref

Roscommon called Galways bluff pushed up on the kick out mcstay out thought walsh on the line brilliance by the rossies

seafoid

I was flying so I missed the second half. Fair play to the neighbours. Great win especially for Mc Stay.  Even Syf was quiet last week. The Groupthink. 
Another turn up for the logic of the bookies.

I am delighted for the Rossies but they have to win their QF. They haven't been able to kick on for a while.

Beating Mayo is obviously a devalued currency. ;)

Galway have had a problem at FB for a while. It reminded me a bit of the hurlers in 2015 when Hanbury got cleaned out. Or Sean Treacy in 1990.  The solution reaches a dead end.
The championship is all about having your weaknesses and failings brutally exposed. Maybe Daithi Burke could be cloned

I don't think Donegal are great. Otherwise I would agree with Mouview's riff a la  Statler and Waldorf.

Let's see how good the Galway psychology is the next day. They are better than they showed yesterday. They should be really hurting.