Athletics

Started by Eamonnca1, August 25, 2023, 07:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It would be interesting to see the schedule. You would hope it would be less compressed.

From the Bunker

Dominic Lokinyomo Lobalu from South Sudan wins the 10k.

square_ball

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2024, 09:04:45 PMIt would be interesting to see the schedule. You would hope it would be less compressed.

For the full schedule of 400m individual, womens relay and mixed relay its 7 races in 9 days. Its mixed followed by individual and ends with the womens. I think I heard them say over the last few days that Adeleke wouldn't be doing the mixed as it would hamper her individual attempt.

imtommygunn

Yeah I read an article on that after I typed it. It would be hard to blame her as she's a genuine medal contender there and you don't get many chances at the olympics (though she is young).

square_ball

Yeah 4 years is a long time in athletics and she definitely seems to have the capability of medalling in this one coming up.

We could have a decent Olympics between boxing, rowing, athletics and Rhys McClenaghan in the gymnastics. Lowry and McIlroy in the golf as well though I just can't be having golf in the Olympics.

imtommygunn

Agreed on the golf  ;D

It'll be very interesting to see how Mageean gets on in Olympics. The 1500 is stacked and it will be very tough to medal especially with Muir getting back to form as well that leaves another in the mix. If anyone has it in them I think she does. I also think that at some point there's a strong chance of a retrospective bronze from the worlds last year as I would not be surprised if Hasan is up to her neck in it. I think Adeleke is in with a good shout of maybe a bronze. I think 9 out of 10 times she beats that polish girl.

The mixed relay if Adeleke isn't there I think will struggle medal wise but finals a realistic goal.

square_ball

Yeah I think we have a chance of a medal or two if things go really well in the athletics. Mageann and Adeleke will hopefully be in the mix for medals and then its all down to how the final plays out. The success at the Europeans has probably given the general public a bit of a false impression of our chances.

A dream of a 2 months coming up for the sports fan anyway between the Euros, Olympics, All Irelands, The Open & Wimbledon.

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on June 13, 2024, 10:36:10 AMYeah I think we have a chance of a medal or two if things go really well in the athletics. Mageann and Adeleke will hopefully be in the mix for medals and then its all down to how the final plays out. The success at the Europeans has probably given the general public a bit of a false impression of our chances.

A dream of a 2 months coming up for the sports fan anyway between the Euros, Olympics, All Irelands, The Open & Wimbledon.

Yeah, Olympics obviously a step up from the Europeans.

We need to be realistic but with a little luck, hopefully things will go well.

imtommygunn

I think we get 1 or 2 medals and some decent showings. Those girls in the 4 x 400 have improved so much and are a credit to themselves but I think maybe at olympic level then medal wise we fall a bit short on depth.

Muck Savage

Sydney McLaughlin Not running in the 400M US trials, good news for Rhasidat

gallsman

Great for everyone else but a touch disappointing as it would be a historic double.

Tbh, if she turns up fit, there's currently nobody in the world who can challenge her. Not Bol over the hurdles and Miller-Uibo is still coming back from giving birth on the flat.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2024, 10:56:43 AMI think we get 1 or 2 medals and some decent showings. Those girls in the 4 x 400 have improved so much and are a credit to themselves but I think maybe at olympic level then medal wise we fall a bit short on depth.

Great to see the results, but there needs to be a little context given to these European Champs coming so close to an Olympics.

Making an Olympic final for this 4x400 team would be a serious achievement.