Armagh v Cavan 29/5/2016

Started by tonto1888, May 03, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Throw ball on May 30, 2016, 08:54:47 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 30, 2016, 07:59:30 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 30, 2016, 05:56:27 AM
I called it handbagging and slabbering. Wind your neck in mate.

True tho it was Kernan. The Cavan lad picked the wrong player to celebrate in front of. Cavan well worth their win and I'd like to see you go on and win Ulster. The one thing I didn't like was the antics of the keeper before and after the penalty. I know it's coming into the game a lot but I wish it wouldn't. Personally I blame Tyrone  ;)

To be honest I saw McKiernan on the ground but did not see incident - was told it was Kernan though. Did see Clarke take Campbell out of play with a foot trip in first half though. I will echo the bit about the penalty though. Drives me mad this and it is definitely not just Cavan. It could also be noted that there was none of that crap when Cavan were taking their penalty. Anyway bar a couple Armagh have no one capable of being physical with anyone. The majority were well behaved though even Forker and Findon avoided bookings!

Anyway I was more annoyed with the standard theory that Armagh are this hard, dirty team which many suggest. They aren't even any good at that anymore.

Best of luck to Cavan in the next game. I will be cheering them on!

Def not just Cavan but it is coming in more and more. I would like to see the refs give out black cards to those doing it regardless of what team they play for. There was a lot of encroaching at frees also. Esp the one Campbell had blocked. The guy was nowhere near far enough back. Ref was weak in that regard.
Anyway, it wasn't to be for us. Cavan worthy winners and I hope they go on to win Ulster.

yellowcard

Match went pretty much as expected result wise but I did think Armagh would have put up a better show before the match started. In all honesty Cavan were never in danger and seemed to sit back a bit in the second half. For Armagh it is back to the drawing board and the stark reality is that there has been little progress under McGeeney since he came in at the beginning of last year. I was one of his supporters at the beginning and believed that he was the right appointment at the start, however there are major question marks over his management now. The best players in the county such as Andy Mallon, McKeever, Vernon and Donaghy have probably seen better days and I don't see why they would remain given the huge committment levels needed whilst there is little prospect of success. Is McGeeney the right man to nurture and develop young players and build a new team? There will be a lot of questions in Armagh over the next few days and weeks.

cavan4sam

True tho it was Kernan. The Cavan lad picked the wrong player to celebrate in front of. Cavan well worth their win and I'd like to see you go on and win Ulster. The one thing I didn't like was the antics of the keeper before and after the penalty. I know it's coming into the game a lot but I wish it wouldn't. Personally I blame Tyrone  ;)

True he laughed in the face of the wrong man but he had no clue who had run straight through the back of him. His answer was to score a brilliant point and show the Armagh boys that they could try to rough him up as much as they wanted but he was just going to get on with what he's good at.

tonto1888

Quote from: cavan4sam on May 30, 2016, 11:07:20 AM

True he laughed in the face of the wrong man but he had no clue who had run straight through the back of him. His answer was to score a brilliant point and show the Armagh boys that they could try to rough him up as much as they wanted but he was just going to get on with what he's good at.

And I've no problem him doing that it was a great score and just after he had been knocked to the ground off the ball.
I've a problem with your keeper and no 5 antics before the penalty tho. I don't think it was possible picked up on tho. You can bet if it was Tyrone it would have been picked up on

cavan4sam

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 30, 2016, 11:44:18 AM

And I've no problem him doing that it was a great score and just after he had been knocked to the ground off the ball.
I've a problem with your keeper and no 5 antics before the penalty tho. I don't think it was possible picked up on tho. You can bet if it was Tyrone it would have been picked up on

Fair enough but until referees start clamping down on it and doing it consistently it will keep happening. I've never seen a black card given in an inter county match for lads mouthing (I have in club games) but it is something that needs to be done.

Itchy

Quote from: cavan4sam on May 30, 2016, 11:52:24 AM

Fair enough but until referees start clamping down on it and doing it consistently it will keep happening. I've never seen a black card given in an inter county match for lads mouthing (I have in club games) but it is something that needs to be done.

Didnt Johnstones free get brought forward too due to some Armagh lad mouthing at him as he was taking it? Part of the game now, but it would be nice to see a concerted effort to tackle it - but would have to be done consistently.

As for the game I thought Cavan were always in control and had 1 or 2 more gears to go up in the 2nd half if need be. However, I would prefer to see them go for the jugular when they are on top and not ease off. If that peno had gone in the game could have been turned on its head and there is no way that Cavan should have allowed that to happen. I was also not impressed with Killian Clarke, he was very loose in the 2nd half and got destroyed. He is a great player though so I am confidenet he will put that behind him.

Ray Galligan was immense in goals. Not sure if there is a better kicker of the ball in goals in the country, his ability to put ball over the top of midfield and into the path of lads running forward was incredible. Martin Reilly and McVitty were excellent and when Gearoid hit his purple patch he was unstoppable - mind you he could have scored double what he did. Keatings black looked a bit ridiculous for a bit of wrestling off the ball (when did that become a black card offence) but was delighted to see Jack come on and nail two points.

All in all a good win but I genuinely think that was Cavan playing well within themselves and I think they can lift it higher and beat Tyrone the next day.

tonto1888

Agreed. I would like to see it being addressed at all levels of the game

Jinxy

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2016, 12:41:47 PM

Didnt Johnstones free get brought forward too due to some Armagh lad mouthing at him as he was taking it? Part of the game now, but it would be nice to see a concerted effort to tackle it - but would have to be done consistently.

As for the game I thought Cavan were always in control and had 1 or 2 more gears to go up in the 2nd half if need be. However, I would prefer to see them go for the jugular when they are on top and not ease off. If that peno had gone in the game could have been turned on its head and there is no way that Cavan should have allowed that to happen. I was also not impressed with Killian Clarke, he was very loose in the 2nd half and got destroyed. He is a great player though so I am confidenet he will put that behind him.

Ray Galligan was immense in goals. Not sure if there is a better kicker of the ball in goals in the country, his ability to put ball over the top of midfield and into the path of lads running forward was incredible. Martin Reilly and McVitty were excellent and when Gearoid hit his purple patch he was unstoppable - mind you he could have scored double what he did. Keatings black looked a bit ridiculous for a bit of wrestling off the ball (when did that become a black card offence) but was delighted to see Jack come on and nail two points.

All in all a good win but I genuinely think that was Cavan playing well within themselves and I think they can lift it higher and beat Tyrone the next day.

Yeah, I noticed that a few times in the 2nd half alright (particularly out to his right half back).
If a kick-out like that goes to hand then before you know it you're inside the opposition 45m line with a lot of open country in front of you.
Dunno if it'll work as well against Throne though!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tiempo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36409294

The man, the myth, the haircut... apparently Gearoid McKiernan is the best player in Ireland and was the best player in NFL Div 2 this year. Right.  ;D ;D ;D :-X

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on May 30, 2016, 01:45:37 PM
Yeah, I noticed that a few times in the 2nd half alright (particularly out to his right half back).
If a kick-out like that goes to hand then before you know it you're inside the opposition 45m line with a lot of open country in front of you.
Dunno if it'll work as well against Throne though!

I'll be on a diet of hats if it works anyway near as well against Tyrone.

Armagh (from what I could see from BBC NI's woeful coverage) hadn't a clue how to deal with the Cavan kickouts - there's isn't a hope in hell the Mickey and Tyrone lads will fail to put any sort of pressure on Galligan and the Cavan lads out the field.

Jinxy

Quote from: tiempo on May 30, 2016, 02:10:33 PM

The man, the myth, the haircut... apparently Gearoid McKiernan is the best player in Ireland and was the best player in NFL Div 2 this year. Right.  ;D ;D ;D :-X

He reminds me of a young Joe Sheridan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Probably could make a case for him being the best player in div 2 alright, definitely not the best player in Ireland though!!

Throw ball

Quote from: yellowcard on May 30, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

Probably could make a case for him being the best player in div 2 alright, definitely not the best player in Ireland though!!

A hell of a footballer. If he played for Dublin or Tyrone or Kerry many would be suggesting the same. Maybe not the best but well up the list.

Itchy

He never stole a medal by throwing the ball into the net.

Rudi

Like the cut of this rejuvenated Cavan side. Seem to be pretty strong all over the field. Some good ball carriers and very good finishers. Monyagh looks good at centre back. 2 wing forwards are excellent ball carriers. McKiernan seems liberated that the midfield duties are lifted from him. Johnston is a decent man to kick a score. Have my doubts about the full back and full forward. Good to see a county with good tradition and great supporters back in the big time, hope they give Tyrone a good game.