Shoot to Kill 1982

Started by Donagh, June 29, 2007, 01:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

If it wasn't so serious, you'd think you were a comedy act.

Surely a number of incidents is more than enough, especially in the greatest democracy in the world etc yadda, yadda.

But then again, maybe you think they deserved it.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 20, 2007, 01:59:01 PM
If it wasn't so serious, you'd think you were a comedy act.

Surely a number of incidents is more than enough, especially in the greatest democracy in the world etc yadda, yadda.

But then again, maybe you think they deserved it.

I said that one incident is too many. I've also said many times that anybody involved should be prosecuted. My problem is with your nonsensical claim that the RUC and Army just went round shooting anybody that moved.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 01:56:02 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 20, 2007, 01:48:01 PM
With respect, MW, what is the point of the law, then, if members of the state's security forces could just go around and shoot anybody they suspected of being in an illegal organisation.
When did that happen? There were a few incidents (one is too many) but to try and suggest that anybody went about just shooting anything that moved, is bollix.

Did he say they went about shooting anything that moved Sammy ?  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quoteif members of the state's security forces could just go around and shoot anybody they suspected of being in an illegal organisation.

My God, I typed what I typed and I can't see where I said they shot anybody that moved.

Mind, the use of plastic bullets by the state's security forces to 'suppress' civil disturbances could, in some minds, illustrate they did shoot "anybody that moved" - but that's another story.

his holiness nb

Yuo didnt type that at all, except in Sammys world  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 20, 2007, 02:07:00 PM
Quoteif members of the state's security forces could just go around and shoot anybody they suspected of being in an illegal organisation.

My God, I typed what I typed and I can't see where I said they shot anybody that moved.

Mind, the use of plastic bullets by the state's security forces to 'suppress' civil disturbances could, in some minds, illustrate they did shoot "anybody that moved" - but that's another story.

OK then, even if you read your post as any 'suspect' that moved, it's still bollix.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I hate to be pedantic which is comes to syntax but I said anyone they suspected of being in an illegal organisation.

I would hold back on any judgement of whether the claims are "bollix" or not - but surely you would agree that the inference that led to an investigation into an alleged shoot to kill policy in 1982 warranted the enquiry.

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 20, 2007, 02:34:35 PM
I hate to be pedantic which is comes to syntax but I said anyone they suspected of being in an illegal organisation.

I would hold back on any judgement of whether the claims are "bollix" or not - but surely you would agree that the inference that led to an investigation into an alleged shoot to kill policy in 1982 warranted the enquiry.

What are you on about? There where a few incidents of terrorists being shot by security forces. Some of those where justified and some weren't.

What there wasn't was any sort of campaign to shoot all 'suspects' (which is what you claimed). If that was the case the army would have been sending helicopter gunships into the Bogside and Ballymurphy and I'm fairly sure that never happened.

his holiness nb

More questions while avoiding answering the question put to you  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 20, 2007, 02:40:52 PM
More questions while avoiding answering the question put to you  ::)

What question?

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Jesus H - this is worse than pulling teeth.

Firstly, you said that I had written that the RUC/UDR were involved in a turkey shoot.

Then you said I had meant 'suspects'.

What I had actually said was anyone they suspected of being in an illegal organisation - there IS a difference between 'suspects' and those 'suspected'.  Suspects would mean people they had watched for some time, whereas in the Michael Tighe shooting, for example, he and his pal just happened to stumble across an arms cache and was shot dead because they immediately suspected he was a member of an illegal organisation.

I never mentioned gunships and invasions - I think you've been reading too much of Jane's Defence Weekly.

his holiness nb

It really is like pulling teeth, I think he does it deliberately to get you in trouble at work  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Well, the bottom line is to me is that obviously the events of November 1982, whether they involved the murders of unarmed IRA members or civilians in the north Armagh area warranted investigation and the re-opening of the case by Nuala O'Loan (whatever people's thoughts are of her or her organisation) and the possibility of releasing the Stalker report for all to see are positive steps.

We can argue in here all day about the rights and the wrongs - let's see the reports.

Of course, the same applies to the Bloody Sunday tribunal findings - when they are finally released.