2023 Provincial championships Draw

Started by Blowitupref, October 11, 2022, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

The draw for the 2023 provincial football championships will take place this Saturday on RTÉ Radio 1 and streamed online on RTÉ.ie/Sport and the RTÉ News app.

The four provincial draws will begin after 4pm on Saturday Sport. No draws are needed in hurling due to the round-robin only format which leads to provincial finals.

In each province, certain criteria will apply.

Connacht: New York v Leitrim and London v Sligo - pre-determined pairings - and two from Galway, Mayo and Roscommon will make up the quarter-finals.

Leinster: Last year's semi-finalists Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Westmeath receive a bye to the quarters, with one from Carlow, Laois, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Wexford and Wicklow also getting a bye to the last-eight stage.

In recent years the Leinster council delayed the semi-final draw until after the quarter-finals. That practice will be discontinued for 2023.

Munster: Last season's finalists Limerick and Kerry will be seeded to the semi-finals.

Ulster: Because they were drawn in this year's preliminary round, Fermanagh and Tyrone will get byes to quarter-finals, as does the 2021 preliminary round pairing of Donegal and Down.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Armagh and Derry will be hoping to avoid each other in the Ulster Preliminary round, although such a game would make good TV opener for the championship. Hopefully Armagh will get Donegal at home.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Watcher

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2022, 10:16:49 PM
Armagh and Derry will be hoping to avoid each other in the Ulster Preliminary round, although such a game would make good TV opener for the championship. Hopefully Armagh will get Donegal at home.
I'd say our lads would love a cut at Derry. Donegal if they get a new manager in and get there house in order are a horrible team for us to play against as shown plenty of times in the last few years although we'll take serious confidence from the schooling we gave them in Clones.

Eire90

Gael80

As always the draw's will be interesting but I think the outcome will determine how some teams approach the provincial championships. They are not the be all and end all for teams that keep their Division 1 status or finish towards the top of Division 2. As a result if a Division 1 team are given four potentially challenging provincial games I think we'll see the squad used a lot more than previous years; it'll all be about preparation for the All Ireland group stages. A provincial title would be nice but I doubt it will be the priority.

Armagh18

Quote from: Gael80 on October 13, 2022, 01:35:33 PM
As always the draw's will be interesting but I think the outcome will determine how some teams approach the provincial championships. They are not the be all and end all for teams that keep their Division 1 status or finish towards the top of Division 2. As a result if a Division 1 team are given four potentially challenging provincial games I think we'll see the squad used a lot more than previous years; it'll all be about preparation for the All Ireland group stages. A provincial title would be nice but I doubt it will be the priority.
Certainly will be for Armagh as it has genuinely been far too long since we've done anything in Ulster. Suppose it's the only meaningful provincial these days anyway. 

An Watcher

Surely it's now or never for geezer to put an ulster title on the table

full moon

In Ulster so much depends on the draw. I'd want to be avoided Tyrone anyway I think they'll be on revenge mission next year.

AustinPowers

Quote from: An Watcher on October 13, 2022, 04:27:50 PM

The Ulster championship won't mean a big pile next year tbh

No point winning it  now

Blowitupref

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 13, 2022, 08:01:52 PM

No point winning it  now

Can potentially have a easier group and get your first group game at home by winning a provincial title.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 13, 2022, 08:06:46 PM

No point winning it  now

Winning the provincial championship in Ulster (or even getting to it and losing) will be very significant next year
Can potentially have a easier group and get your first group game at home by winning a provincial title.

Having your first game at home will be great for getting off to a good start.

Based on this year's league and provincial results from this year if the new structure was in place this year the seeding groups would have looked like this.

Provincial Winners/1st Seeds      Derry    Galway           Dublin   Kerry
Provincial Losers/2nd Seeds      Donegal   Roscommon   Kildare   Limerick
League Places 1/3rd Seeds              Mayo           Armagh           Tyrone   Monaghan
League Places 2/4th Seeds              Meath   Clare                   Cork           Louth

[This isn't how groups could look - provinicial finalists will be keep apart but other repeat fixtures are allowed]

Derry, Galway, Dublin and Kerry all would have had home games to start off the group stages.

Derry by winning Ulster would have avoided all of provincial champions in the group stages.
That's always likely to be a fairly decent result.

seafoid

No point winning it  now
https://giphy.com/gifs/sweaty-hvq8ONQhQ1XLq

Ulster teams other than Cavan won nothing for decades and the Anglo Celt was always highly prized regardless of events elsewhere.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on October 15, 2022, 01:23:39 PM

No point winning it  now
https://giphy.com/gifs/sweaty-hvq8ONQhQ1XLq

Ulster teams other than Cavan won nothing for decades and the Anglo Celt was always highly prized regardless of events elsewhere.
And it always will. It'll be a sad day that an Ulster title doesn't mean the absolute world to the winners. I hope we never see an Ulster winning captain lifting the trophy with a face like a man about to read his best friends eulogy

Captain Obvious

Connacht championship draw.

Quarter-finals

New York v Leitrim
London v Sligo
Mayo v Roscommon

Semi finals

New york/Leitrim v London/Sligo
Mayo/Roscommon v Galway

Ulster draw

Preliminary round

Armagh v Antrim