Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Who buys a newspaper now? I get all my information from Angelo, it's unbiased, well sourced and conveys a positive thoughtful message
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2021, 03:48:16 PM
Who buys a newspaper now? I get all my information from Angelo, it's unbiased, well sourced and conveys a positive thoughtful message
los Angelo times ?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2021, 03:48:16 PM

Was tempted to buy them last year when there was a shortage of toilet paper.

Kidder81

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2021, 03:42:41 PM
British newspapers are too powerful. It's about time people started standing up to them, which is why the Meghan and Harry thing is so intriguing. They drove his mother to her death, and now he's fighting back.

He's a pussy

Jell 0 Biafra

British newspapers are too powerful. It's about time people started standing up to them, which is why the Meghan and Harry thing is so intriguing. They drove his mother to her death, and now he's fighting back.

Unfortunate choice of metaphor there.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 18, 2021, 01:23:06 PM

I thought it was genius. On that point why would he be fighting back, mainly against his brother it would seem, who also lost his mother in that crash

johnnycool

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 18, 2021, 02:32:02 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 18, 2021, 01:23:06 PM

I thought it was genius. On that point why would he be fighting back, mainly against his brother it would seem, who also lost his mother in that crash

Their ma had taken up with a Muslim.

A ginger was bad enough, but a Muslim was never going to fly.

Capt Pat

Comedian Lee Hurst has been suspended from twitter for joking "When Greta Thunberg discovers c**k she will stop complaining about the single use plastic it comes wrapped in".

Gabriel_Hurl

it didn't last long - he's back on there

sid waddell

The Mary Lou McDonald cartoon is a parable for our times

It has demonstrated how internet debate has now almost entirely descended into an impenetrable barrage of whataboutery and a desperate search for hypocrisy in others - and that sort of debate ultimately gets us nowhere

For those who didn't see the cartoon - the Sindo depicted McDonald as a witch stirring a pot

Sinn Fein members and supporters have been very quick to judge the cartoon as misogynist - and I think I agree with them on that - there was a distinct whiff of misogynism about it

Yet misogynist comments by Sinn Fein members and supporters are all over the internet - for instance, Wexford TD Johnny Mythen wrote a message some years ago expressing a desire to see Joan Burton being burned at the stake like Joan of Arc

This hypocrisy has been pointed out by others on the left and right

Yet the left and Irish Republicans have a long history of demonising Margaret Thatcher as a witch ("ding dong the witch is dead") and for years before her death, a familiar cry on the left was "we're having a party when Thatcher dies"

And indeed there were parties when Thatcher died

I think the special hatred that seemed to be reserved for Thatcher was because she was a woman - Ronald Reagan for instance didn't get any of the same hatred even though he was worse

For full disclosure I'm guilty of some that of that very harsh anti-Thatcher rhetoric myself - which I have subsequently realised contained elements of misogynism - and that was wrong - though I still despise her politics

And I dare say many people here are guilty of that too

I think Mary Harney is another politician who was a victim of misogyny from some on the left

Arlene Foster a target of of misogyny from some Irish Republicans too I think - though like with Thatcher I also despise her politics and that of her party

Of course there is massive misogyny from the right pretty much everywhere, conservative politics is built on misogyny - it is based on an essentially patriarchal society

Fine Gael's Charlie Flanagan has waded in to agree with the depiction of McDonald as a witch

Hillary Clinton was obviously a huge victim of that conservative misogyny but her victimisation is just the tip of the iceberg

So there's hypocrisy literally everywhere you look here

SF are hypocritical because they indulged misogynist anti-Thatcher, anti-Joan Burton etc. rhetoric for years, and refuse to admit that

Others on the generalised left are hypocritical because so did they, and refuse to admit it

Those on the left who didn't do any of that tend not to call it out from their own "side"

Fine Gael are hypocritical because they harbour misogynists and won't call them out, same with Fianna Fail

The so called "anti-PC", "free speech activists" of the right are totally misogynistic

This cartoon is free speech - if the "free speech" crowd said "Je Suis Charlie", why not "Je Suis Sindo" over this cartoon?

So you can't be "anti-PC", "Je Suis Charlie" or "pro-free speech" and then complain about the Sindo publishing this cartoon - you'd be a hypocrite, and still a misogynist

Personally I think the Sindo should not have depicted McDonald as a witch - they should have depicted her with a balaclava instead - it wouldn't have been misogynist and would have got the point across better

Thoughts?

Tony Baloney

Yer man Noel Clarke is in the process of being buried without trace.

charlieTully

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2021, 11:01:54 PM

The director? Kidulthood etc?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on April 29, 2021, 11:07:23 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2021, 11:01:54 PM

The director? Kidulthood etc?
Aye the vultures are circling as the Guardian are reporting that more than 20 women have come out against him for a range of sexual misconduct accusations. Stick his name into Twitter.

BennyCake

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 21, 2021, 09:39:57 PM
Comedian Lee Hurst has been suspended from twitter for joking "When Greta Thunberg discovers c**k she will stop complaining about the single use plastic it comes wrapped in".

The twitter polis obviously don't have a sense of humour.