Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aol.com/amphtml/bill-burr-faces-backlash-over-031337468.html

Comedian Bill Burr is the latest target for Gen Z, despite having a black wife and children.

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2021, 12:23:57 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 12:09:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2021, 12:05:27 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 11:48:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2021, 11:41:23 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2021, 11:26:52 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2021, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 15, 2021, 10:02:30 AM
Boris Johnson is far from a master of political psychology or strategy

The reason the Tories win is pretty simple - Britain's overwhelmingly right-wing, jingoistic media have turned it into a managed "democracy" where nationalist spectacle reigns and truth is the enemy

If Britain had a media landscape like Ireland's, Labour would be in the position the Tories are, the Tories would be in the position the Lib Dems are, and the Lib Dems would be in the position Labour are

Boris is a figurehead for the media elites, vulture capitalists who want to continue to avoid paying taxes and stroke everyone else in the process.
Rishy is already being groomed by Rupert Murdock as his replacement.
Jingoistic nationalist spectacle is always a front for serious corruption

Ireland beware

Especially the right wing, ruling classes variety, Ireland definitely beware.
There's only one major party in the Dail who is interested in jingoistic nationalist spectacle and we all know who that is

Jesus,
      Are FG still going to honour the tans?
A small commemoration of the RIC dead is the exact opposite of jingoistic nationalism

It's a bit like the ANC commemorating the South African Police Special Branch.
Actually it's not like that at all, given that the RIC haven't existed for 100 years

Mandela actually made it his business when he took over to try and create a unified nation rather than a divided one

Sinn Fein love to compare themselves to the ANC - I suppose that makes sense given the rampant corruption within the ANC nowadays

That's exactly the future Sinn Fein aspire to - an effective one party state where they can cream off the profits for themselves

Brown envelopes from developers and turning a blind eye to the dodgy bankers over big dinners in the K club let alone the tent at the Galway races are not a Shinner thing TBH.

There's none as blind as those that don't want to see.
Shinners prefer to just rob banks

Tom McFeely was responsible for the biggest housing scandal in the history of this state

He was was a Shinner and a hunger striker

Shinners never talk about that

Tom played the game and greased the FFG wheels in Dublin like every other developer.

Don't think he was ever a member of the Shinners, but happy for you to prove me wrong.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 15, 2021, 12:37:36 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aol.com/amphtml/bill-burr-faces-backlash-over-031337468.html

Comedian Bill Burr is the latest target for Gen Z, despite having a black wife and children.
the little bitches have no sense of humor .

tonto1888

Sid. Try and get through a post without mentioning SF. Try. I dare ye

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 15, 2021, 03:59:55 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 15, 2021, 12:37:36 PM

the little bitches have no sense of humor .

Its pretty well known the type of comedy Bill Burr does. The Grammy people had to have been aware of this. He's not trying to make people comfortable.

sid waddell

Any chance Julie Burchill might now get cancelled by the Sunday Telegraph? Nah, no chance, she is right-wing British media in its true form, the masses love this stuff

How about Rod Liddle? He's the guy who boasted he'd be a child sex abuser if he was a teacher- in The Spectator magazine

Julie Burchill abused me for being Muslim – yet she was cast as the victim
Ash Sarkar

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/16/julie-burchill-muslim-islamophobic

Last December, I was referred to as an Islamist and a paedophile worshipper. I read multiple tweets speculating about whether I'm any good in bed, and insults about me supposedly having a moustache. Strange poems popped up portraying lurid sexual fantasies about having a threesome with me and the French far-right leader Marine Le Pen. I saw posts being liked on Facebook that told me to "kill myself for shame" and suggested that I had been a victim of female genital mutilation. None of these were the actions of an anonymous troll – they were the work of Sunday Telegraph columnist Julie Burchill.

This morning Burchill published a lengthy apology for these defamatory statements. She acknowledged that some of them "play into Islamophobic tropes", and admitted that she was wrong to make "racist and misogynist comments" regarding my appearance and sex life. Burchill has apologised "unreservedly and unconditionally" for the "hurtful and unacceptable statements", and undertakes not to contact me directly again or "engage in any course of action amounting to harassment". She has also had to pay substantial damages for the distress caused and my legal costs.

These untrue and deeply upsetting comments had been made following me tweeting criticism of Burchill's friend Rod Liddle for an article he had written nine years ago, in which he said the one reason why he's not a teacher is that he "could not remotely conceive of not trying to shag the kids". I happen to be Muslim (if I'm honest, not a particularly pious one) and Burchill used that to single me out on social media. She had some form in this regard, having previously tweeted me asking whether I had got rid of a bawdy joke in my Twitter bio because of being threatened by my "co-religionists".

When I replied objecting to her response, which implied that Muslims were tacit supporters of child abuse, I was met with the accusation of "[worshipping] a paedophile". On Burchill's Facebook page, she encouraged her followers to "wade in" on social media, and referred to me as an Islamist and a nonce. For weeks afterwards, Burchill continued to publish posts on social media both to and about me.

What followed was a barrage of abuse on social media and by email. People speculated about whether I was really a woman, and really a Muslim – and I was subjected to rape threats and threats of physical violence. I received direct messages on Instagram calling me a "dirty brown whore", and fantasising about me being raped in "an all white gangbang". The intensity of the abuse, along with Burchill's continuing derogatory posts about me, severely affected my mental health. I couldn't sleep, and had bouts of trembling and heart palpitations. For the first time in my life, I was prescribed anti-anxiety medication.

At the same time, a media storm was brewing. In response to her conduct on social media, the publisher Little, Brown terminated Burchill's book contract for Welcome to the Woke Trials: How #Identity Killed Progressive Politics. In her apology, Burchill states that she wishes to "to make clear that I accept that Ms Sarkar did not call for my publisher to break ties with me and bears no responsibility for this". But despite the fact I had never asked for this to happen, media outlets framed the matter as cancel culture gone mad. Burchill's defamatory statements were reported as merely "[making] a comment on Twitter to Muslim 'libertarian communist' journalist Ash Sarkar about the age of one of the Prophet Mohammed's wives." The Times wrote that "Welcome to the Woke Trials, billed as ... [an] indictment of the 'outrage mob' and its impact on freedom of speech", had itself "become a casualty of the very forces it was describing". It felt like much of the media's reporting of the issue played down the defamation, racism and harassment in favour of framing me as part of the woke mob – and Burchill as its victim.

Last week, the Society of Editors was embroiled in a row after its then-executive director, Ian Murray, claimed that the UK media "is most certainly not racist" in response to Meghan's criticism of how she'd been treated by the press. But what my experience with Burchill shows is that not only is there racism from journalists themselves, there's also a lack of accountability more broadly within the industry.

The unfortunate truth is that, sometimes, the only thing that separates an anonymous troll and a journalist is a byline. Some of the worst abuse I've received is either from journalists or the direct consequence of their actions in spreading misinformation about me. Those at the top of our industry have persistently drawn a veil of silence around the bullying tactics that drum black and brown women out of public life. We cannot claim to have a truly free press as long as those who tacitly encourage and facilitate the harassment of women of colour remain sheltered within the media.

J70

Fuckin hell. She sounds like a lovely person!

Good for Sarkar for suing the f**k out of her.

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2021, 11:12:24 AM
Fuckin hell. She sounds like a lovely person!

Good for Sarkar for suing the f**k out of her.

It's the only language these hoors understand.

Gmac

Sharon Osborne for initially defending piers Morgan, also did anyone catch the wap performance on the Grammys good wholesome family entertainment .

JPGJOHNNYG

Good horrible woman. I remember years ago on X factor following a weird contestant she decided it would be ok to say she hates all ginger haired people. Interesting how that got a pass or was just deemed funny by most.

Gmac

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 17, 2021, 01:02:58 PM
Good horrible woman. I remember years ago on X factor following a weird contestant she decided it would be ok to say she hates all ginger haired people. Interesting how that got a pass or was just deemed funny by most.
are you a red head?

RedHand88

Quote from: Gmac on March 17, 2021, 11:32:16 AM
Sharon Osborne for initially defending piers Morgan, also did anyone catch the wap performance on the Grammys good wholesome family entertainment .

Watched it there. I really dont know what to say.

Gabriel_Hurl

Yeah - that rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone was fantastic.

Eamonnca1

British newspapers are too powerful. It's about time people started standing up to them, which is why the Meghan and Harry thing is so intriguing. They drove his mother to her death, and now he's fighting back.