Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on March 11, 2021, 09:28:26 AM
Quote from: Hound on March 11, 2021, 07:20:53 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 08, 2021, 01:06:57 PM

FFS-I have heard it all now

She was shocked that she would have to courtesy to the Queen and didn't know until a few minutes before she met her for the first time.

She didn't know who Harry was and had to Google him

She knew nothing about what had happened with Princess Diana

She didn't know what she was getting into

A spoiled brat who has had it her own way her whole life (because she's a cute minor celebrity) and didn't like to have to play second fiddle is more like it

I'd never heard of her before she married Harry. I'm sure she's no angel, but she seems to get a hard time judging by the lies people peddle about her!

She was shocked that she would have to courtesy to the Queen and didn't know until a few minutes before she met her for the first time.
- Herself and Harry were meeting Eugenie and Fergie for lunch, and only found out on the drive over the Queen would be there.
- She said she was surprised she would have to courtesy when it was in private with only family. She thought it was just a traditional ceremonial thing which was just done when members of the public were around.
- Hardly unreasonable.

- Nope! She said she never googled him!

- She did not say that during the interview. There was a reference to her not realising the hounding Diana got from media, but it was Harry leading that part of the conversation when saying he saw it as history repeating itself.

She definitely didn't realize what she was getting into by marrying him. It's effectively full time lockdown for the rest of your life, bar the official tours. Even if you have every luxury you could imagine, we all know now that lockdown is a right pain in the Swiss. She a knew a year before the rest of us and felt she had to engineer a way out of it. And she accomplished it. She regained control of her life.

Wonder why they feel the need to take her drivers license and passport off her. I bet that was a bit of a shock to her.

Shower of lizard c***ts  ;D

The irony that we mortals should go down on bended knee to someone that has spent her life terrified by people like Piers Morgan and Kelvin MacKenzie.

trailer

Quote from: Franko on March 11, 2021, 10:11:24 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 11, 2021, 09:28:26 AM
Quote from: Hound on March 11, 2021, 07:20:53 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 08, 2021, 01:06:57 PM

FFS-I have heard it all now

She didn't know what she was getting into

A spoiled brat who has had it her own way her whole life (because she's a cute minor celebrity) and didn't like to have to play second fiddle is more like it

I'd never heard of her before she married Harry. I'm sure she's no angel, but she seems to get a hard time judging by the lies people peddle about her!

- Herself and Harry were meeting Eugenie and Fergie for lunch, and only found out on the drive over the Queen would be there.
- She said she was surprised she would have to courtesy when it was in private with only family. She thought it was just a traditional ceremonial thing which was just done when members of the public were around.
- Hardly unreasonable.

- Nope! She said she never googled him!

- She did not say that during the interview. There was a reference to her not realising the hounding Diana got from media, but it was Harry leading that part of the conversation when saying he saw it as history repeating itself.

She definitely didn't realize what she was getting into by marrying him. It's effectively full time lockdown for the rest of your life, bar the official tours. Even if you have every luxury you could imagine, we all know now that lockdown is a right pain in the Swiss. She a knew a year before the rest of us and felt she had to engineer a way out of it. And she accomplished it. She regained control of her life.

Wonder why they feel the need to take her drivers license and passport off her. I bet that was a bit of a shock to her.

Shower of lizard c***ts  ;D

The irony that we mortals should go down on bended knee to someone that has spent her life terrified by people like Piers Morgan and Kelvin MacKenzie.

I am completely torn. Part of me has huge sympathy for the way the British press treated her and there is absolutely no doubt part of it was fuelled by racism. She also felt really trapped by "the firm" But the part of me thinks she was very naïve not to ask questions about how things would be once she was married or once the relationship had been made public. She didn't seem to have any understanding of Royal protocol or how things were done. She had no understanding of the what the Queen actually is. The Brits believe that the Monarch takes it's authority directly from God himself. You curtesy to show respect not because it's Lizzy but because you're kind of in the presence of God. FYI I think the whole Monarchy is mental and of course it should be abolished etc, etc. She had no grasp of this yet she was riding Harry.

Like it or not, the British Monarchy has overseen survived massive constitutional change not just in the UK but all across the world. They have survived even when other countries were overthrowing and chopping of the heads of their Monarchs. There's is a way in which they do things that keeps them in the position they are in. It is not a fluke and yet she seemed to have no understanding of this. I don't think she has a titter of wit as my Granny would say. But it doesn't excuse how the gutter press basically drove her to the edge of suicide.

whitey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/1843/2018/05/23/can-meghan-markle-modernise-the-monarchy

The media got way ahead of themselves with their expectations as to what her impact would be

At the end of the day, she's twice divorced  minor celebrity and c list actress.

And I'd guess 99% of people wouldn't even have a clue she's biracial unless someone told them her

J70

Well the media and the Royal Family knew she was biracial.

And Diana was from a fairly modest, relatively speaking, part of the British nobility. Was she not working in a creche or daycare or something?

Yet she had a massive impact.

johnnycool

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2021, 02:19:32 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/1843/2018/05/23/can-meghan-markle-modernise-the-monarchy

The media got way ahead of themselves with their expectations as to what her impact would be

At the end of the day, she's twice divorced  minor celebrity and c list actress.

And I'd guess 99% of people wouldn't even have a clue she's biracial unless someone told them her

There was an interesting point made by a historian recently not sure of their name but during slavery there was no such thing as bi-racial, half caste or whatever term you use but any child with black DNA irrespective of how much was deemed black and a slave.
That sentiment no doubt still exists in some parts of society.

Heck even some of Thomas Jeffersons children he had with one of his slaves were slaves themselves until he himself granted them freedom as they got older.

thebigfella

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2021, 02:19:32 PM

Who's the 2nd one to?

Gmac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2021, 12:57:07 PM
I see Piers Morgans old colleague Jake Tapper of CNN rowing in behind him, citing the first amendment and freedom of speech.
did he quit or was he pushed out ?
If he was pushed out it means that twitter mobs now decides what sort of speech is ok and what isn't.
Also Only one side of argument can suffer mental health issues from online abuse ? #bekindmehole

imtommygunn

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like. That seems to be a very big misunderstanding a lot these days.

Also on the note of twitter it was interesting to note on the US presidential election from what I read Biden didn't use it as only 5% of the voter base would be hit or some stat like that. Twitter doesn't mean that much. She put in a complaint herself. That would probably carry more weight than the whole of twitter.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 11, 2021, 04:13:37 PM
I see Piers Morgans old colleague Jake Tapper of CNN rowing in behind him, citing the first amendment and freedom of speech.
If he was pushed out it means that twitter mobs now decides what sort of speech is ok and what isn't.
Also Only one side of argument can suffer mental health issues from online abuse ? #bekindmehole

Reports suggest he quit.

Given how outspoken he is, I'm sure he'd be screaming bloody murder if he'd been fired.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2021, 04:23:47 PM
Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like. That seems to be a very big misunderstanding a lot these days.

Also on the note of twitter it was interesting to note on the US presidential election from what I read Biden didn't use it as only 5% of the voter base would be hit or some stat like that. Twitter doesn't mean that much. She put in a complaint herself. That would probably carry more weight than the whole of twitter.

At least in the US, free speech only means that the government can't prosecute you for what you say, with certain, specific, exceptions.

It does NOT mean that you are free from non-government consequences when you make an offensive or inflammatory statement.

screenexile

Quote from: Gmac on March 11, 2021, 04:13:37 PM

Twitter mobs aren't allowed free speech either then?? Where does it end?!

People are free to say what they like but that has consequences.

If a mental health charity threatens pulls their advertising as a result of Piers' comments they're entitled to do that just as ITV had to make a decision as to whether they backed Piers or wanted to stay on the side of their advertisers.

Piers said what he wanted and paid the penalty that's on him ... free speech is a bullshit argument on this occasion!

Gmac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2021, 04:23:47 PM

twitter seem to be punching way above their weight when it comes to cancel culture though,  a negative hashtag on Twitter about a company can lead to it removing a product or trying to appease people for no reason. Trump probably lost way more voters with his twitter rantings than he gained.

imtommygunn

The stuff he was coming out with on twitter would have lost him votes no matter what medium he sent it out on though. It was also reported much further and wider than twitter. I don't think that was specifically twitter.

J70

Yes, his press conferences and rallies were equally problematic.

His message itself was the issue. The fact that he has a narcissistic, compulsive need to be the centre of attention and broadcast it far and wide was a secondary factor.

imtommygunn

Yeah only Trump is to blame tbh.

There is probably a point in there on Twitter but Morgan went too far. He has always been pushing boundaries. Just like he came back from the Iraq photos he will come back from this. He's a guy that deserves no sympathy.