Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gmac on June 27, 2020, 07:28:07 PM
John Wayne airport to be renamed.

Probably go for Marion Robert Morrison
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 27, 2020, 08:32:18 PM

Why?

Back in 1971, Wayne told Playboy ... "I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

And, there was more ... "I don't feel guilty about the fact that 5 or 10 generations ago these people were slaves."

And, then the actor set his sights on Native Americans ... "I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them ... There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

And, Wayne went after gays, using a homophobic slur to refer to the 2 main characters in "Midnight Cowboy."

BennyCake

Ok fair enough.

The thing is, why was it not brought up before now? An interview nearly 50 years ago, and it's only become an issue now? I mean, people can't have been too offended if it took 50 years to realise it.

Gmac

Quote from: BennyCake on June 27, 2020, 09:49:02 PM
Ok fair enough.

The thing is, why was it not brought up before now? An interview nearly 50 years ago, and it's only become an issue now? I mean, people can't have been too offended if it took 50 years to realise it.
its been out there but it's selective outrage , jimmy kimmel , jimmy Fallon , Howard stern ,Justin Trudeau , governor of Virginia would be all gone for using black face and using n word , Megyn Kelly was fired for black face picture, depends on your politics.

armaghniac

Will they take down the statue?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

The blackface stuff was brought up here before. Unless the person is doing it to be a racist then why has it caused such outrage? White chicks? Did anyone complain about it?

LeoMc

Could they not just say it is named after John Wayne Bobbit but they Symbolically cut off the end of the sign?

BennyCake

Quote from: LeoMc on June 28, 2020, 10:56:06 PM
Could they not just say it is named after John Wayne Bobbit but they Symbolically cut off the end of the sign?

Or they could just say "f**k off" and keep the name.

Baile Brigín 2

Ok fair enough.

I had definitely heard of it before, and it was remarked on at the time, but the reality is the US is going through an introspection about this sort of thing. Just because the interview wasn't widely known about doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't deserve attention now.

J70

Ok fair enough.

Were you aware of his views?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 27, 2020, 09:57:44 PM
Ok fair enough.

its been out there but it's selective outrage , jimmy kimmel , jimmy Fallon , Howard stern ,Justin Trudeau , governor of Virginia would be all gone for using black face and using n word , Megyn Kelly was fired for black face picture, depends on your politics.

Megyn Kelly was not fired for a blackface picture.

She was defending people dressing up at Halloween.

Her ratings were in the toilet. That was the straw that broke the carmel's back.

She had previous form, insisting while still at Fox News that Santa Claus had to be white!

Northam ludicrously brazened it out, denying the photo was him (after previously confirming it), but the only reason it worked was that the next two in line got enveloped in their own scandals the same week. Otherwise he'd have been gone.

I'm not too familiar with the other situations, but I'm guessing they did a massive mea culpa and held on. Except Howard Stern maybe. Offensiveness was his M.O.

five points

At this rate, John Lennon and George Best won't last the week.

quit yo jibbajabba

Well if sleeping with a few Miss Worlds is enough to get ye cancelled these days ye may add me to this fcukin list

he said truthfully