Sigerson/Fitzgibbon draws 2013

Started by theticklemister, December 12, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2013, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 06:37:37 PM
I take what you are saying but I didn't see any Rossies on their Sigerson team.
Your suggestion that DCU envy is based on jealousy (or impotent rage as you call it) is not accurate. For one college to mop up all the top stars is not good for the game or the competition.

Syf is a big DCU/Moyna fan   :-* - he's been apoplectic on Stolensheep because a few of the older heads there were slagging off Moyna whom Syf hero worships.
He was positively orgasmic ( if he isn't too young yet ) when Moyna was said to be in the frame for the Ros manager role.
The sooner this Sigerson sh1te is moved back to November the better so we can have a proper NFL season with games every second week and lads playing for their clubs the in between week.

Someone was intimating the DCU Rossies only really cared about playing for them and didn't give the same effort for Roscommon in the championship. All despite only a handful even featuring for the seniors and DCU last year - Cregg was injured for almost the entire Sigerson, while Smith only came on as a last second sub against Tyrone - and far more DCU Rossies playing for the u21s who reached the All-Ireland final.

Glad to know that's a perfectly fine thing thing to say in your mind, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Moyna got caught with Walsh and Boyle and the rules that were put in place to limit playing time was absolutely correct. Though I do recall many of the same people laughing at Moyna now being indignant at the exact same rules when they came into effect a few months ago..

Poaching players at college level is a dirty fact of life, unlike at club or county level the rewards for changing schools usually are far more directly life-altering and extend far beyond football.

If anyone here was student mad about football and playing well for GMIT, TIT, CIT - or almost any IT or college besides maybe UCD, DIT and Trinity (for academic rather than sporting reasons) - and DCU turned around and offered you a place at the best sports college in the country would you not go?

There probably should be a move towards even more NCAA-esque playing exemptions for players switching colleges but even that isn't going to stop DCU attracting more than its fair share of players through their own choices on CAO forms.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ross4life on February 07, 2013, 08:44:38 PM
Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 09:16:11 AM
Ps. Looking through the DCU team there is not many county players from the midlands! Plenty of All-stars though, and plenty of lads who have returned from Ozzie rules contracts.. They all seem to end up in DCU. Mmm

DCU team and used subs yesterday.

James Farrelly (Cavan); William Lowry (Dublin), Jonathan Cooper (Dublin), Conor Daly (Roscommon); James McCarthy (Dublin), Jack Brady (Cavan), Michael Quinn (Longford); Fiontan O Curraoin (Galway), Pete O'Hanlon (Monaghan); Paul Flynn (Dublin), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Antoin McFadden (Donegal); Dean Rock (Dublin), Brian Donnelly (Louth), Philip Ryan (Dublin).

Donie Smith (Roscommon) for Donnelly (14), Davy Byrne (Dublin) for McCarthy (38), Christopher McGuinness (Monaghan) for Ryan (42), Jack McCarron (Monaghan) for Rock (51), Eamon Doherty (Donegal) for Flynn (56).

All-stars Murphy,Flynn? both were at DCU before they won those all-stars. Nice spread of counties i think Michael Quinn was on ozzie rules contracts who else?

For ourselves two players played a part yesterday Compton,Fintan Cregg are part of the extended panel they were used in O'Byrne cup and league games & Ciaran Cafferky would be part of the panel if he wasn't injured. When your own Sligo IT were winning the Sigerson cup top players like Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Michael Moyles,Sean McDermott,Alan Costello,Paul Durcan,Eamonn McGee etc chose Sligo nowaydays most choose DCU,DIT or UCD.

Michael Quinn made a excellent start in Afl with Essedon but then lost his place. Brain Donnelly was on the books of Adelaide Crows for 2 years , not sure if he ever played in the first team

Syferus

Ps. Looking through the DCU team there is not many county players from the midlands! Plenty of All-stars though, and plenty of lads who have returned from Ozzie rules contracts.. They all seem to end up in DCU. Mmm

James Farrelly (Cavan); William Lowry (Dublin), Jonathan Cooper (Dublin), Conor Daly (Roscommon); James McCarthy (Dublin), Jack Brady (Cavan), Michael Quinn (Longford); Fiontan O Curraoin (Galway), Pete O'Hanlon (Monaghan); Paul Flynn (Dublin), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Antoin McFadden (Donegal); Dean Rock (Dublin), Brian Donnelly (Louth), Philip Ryan (Dublin).

Donie Smith (Roscommon) for Donnelly (14), Davy Byrne (Dublin) for McCarthy (38), Christopher McGuinness (Monaghan) for Ryan (42), Jack McCarron (Monaghan) for Rock (51), Eamon Doherty (Donegal) for Flynn (56).

All-stars Murphy,Flynn? both were at DCU before they won those all-stars. Nice spread of counties i think Michael Quinn was on ozzie rules contracts who else?

For ourselves two players played a part yesterday Compton,Fintan Cregg are part of the extended panel they were used in O'Byrne cup and league games & Ciaran Cafferky would be part of the panel if he wasn't injured. When your own Sligo IT were winning the Sigerson cup top players like Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Michael Moyles,Sean McDermott,Alan Costello,Paul Durcan,Eamonn McGee etc chose Sligo nowadays most choose DCU,DIT or UCD.

It'd be interesting to know how Daly played 4 after the game at the weekend, I'd still prefer to see him lining up at half-back and letting Paddy Brogan cover the corner.

randomtask

DCU V UCD
DIT V Maynooth
CIT V AIT
St.Marys V UCC

Quarter final line up confirmed, anyone care to take a stab at the teams that will make the weekend? will DCU win it easy again this year? who are the dark horses?

Personally think that UCD/DCU game is a 50/50 game, looking at UCD's team sheet they seem to have a stronger team on paper than DCU more established county players anyway. Would to see DCU beat, just because of that bollix Niall Moyna. He has the best resources available to him and he is never finished giving out about something, doesn't seem to be in it for the love of the GAA at all. Would love to see St.Marys do it!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Moyna making an arse of himself again today I see....poor DCU, really getting a raw deal they are, what with Bank of Ireland, Accenture and a few others pouring $$$ into them, the players driving around in sponsored vehicles and living in paid for accomodation..can't be easy.

Fact is, they tapped up Walsh, didn't check (or check properly) that he was eligible, got caught out and tried to blag their way out of it unsuccessfully. Simple as. I don't know the ins/outs of Boyle's case, but that is definitely the story with Walsh.

I actually disagree with the 3 course rule to an extent..if a lad is doing a course, drops out to change tack to something he realises he is better/more suited to, gets his degree, then decides to pursue a masters..he shouldn't be ineligible really once the case is genuine. This doesn't change the fact though, DCU knew the rules in place and thought they would get away with it, but didn't.

Anyway, looking ahead, I expect semis to be DCU v DIT and CIT v UCC. You'd have to fancy a DCU v  UCC final, but who knows. Both DIT and CIT won't be lacking motivation against their home town rivals.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Any craic

Fitzgibbon Cup Video - see Dub David Tracey's goal as DIT upset favourites UL today at Parnells: http://t.co/GaWTnfbg

Orchardman

For ourselves two players played a part yesterday Compton,Fintan Cregg are part of the extended panel they were used in O'Byrne cup and league games & Ciaran Cafferky would be part of the panel if he wasn't injured. When your own Sligo IT were winning the Sigerson cup top players like Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Michael Moyles,Sean McDermott,Alan Costello,Paul Durcan,Eamonn McGee etc chose Sligo nowadays most choose DCU,DIT or UCD.

Jes lads, thats far from a star studded team. I know i piped up about this last year when i argued the same thing, and they even had extras like colm begley playing. Murphy and flynn are top class county players, maybe james mccarthy and i guess dean rock is nearly making the dublin team. Hardly a lot for one of the big colleges to have when the consider the amount of county lads at college. Brian donnelly is known for been ex AFL, not a top GAA player, while at least quinn from longford seems to be making an impact with club and county since his return.

Granted I know the northern fringe players better than these lads from ros, dub and even cavan, but they dont compare to the likes of the UUJ and Queens teams of around 99-2003 who would have had near 15 proper established players in the lead up to armagh and tyrone winning all ireland. Think about john toal, paddy bradley, jimmy mcguinness, mccrossan, sean cavanagh, philip loughran, aidan o rourke, enda mcnulty on the one team. Im biased as i was at college at the same time, though i didn't go to either of the belfast big 2.

Different class lads

rodney trotter

Quote from: Orchardman on February 07, 2013, 11:44:45 PM

Jes lads, thats far from a star studded team. I know i piped up about this last year when i argued the same thing, and they even had extras like colm begley playing. Murphy and flynn are top class county players, maybe james mccarthy and i guess dean rock is nearly making the dublin team. Hardly a lot for one of the big colleges to have when the consider the amount of county lads at college. Brian donnelly is known for been ex AFL, not a top GAA player, while at least quinn from longford seems to be making an impact with club and county since his return.

Granted I know the northern fringe players better than these lads from ros, dub and even cavan, but they dont compare to the likes of the UUJ and Queens teams of around 99-2003 who would have had near 15 proper established players in the lead up to armagh and tyrone winning all ireland. Think about john toal, paddy bradley, jimmy mcguinness, mccrossan, sean cavanagh, philip loughran, aidan o rourke, enda mcnulty on the one team. Im biased as i was at college at the same time, though i didn't go to either of the belfast big 2.

Different class lads

That is true, but its spread out, big name in the UCD team, Donie Kingston, John Heslin, Kevin McGlaughlin, Rory O Carroll. DIT have Darren O Sullivan, Tomas O Connor, Aidan O Shea

Not all the big names go to DCU, but they are more attractive for what they offer the players.

Syferus

Different class lads

The panel is every bit as good as those ones in terms of talent, just because you're not as aquainted (and admitting that and still going on to say the rest swipes the rug from under yourself, honestly) with the likes of Jack Brady, Donie Smith or Dean Rock doesn't mean they are among the best players of their age bracket anywhere in the country. It's always easy to look back and compare players' entire careers and say they were a better team then than a group of players who you have no clue how they will look like at the end of their own county and club careers.

It's the depth of  the talent at DCU is what is amazing, not just the first 15. Last year the junior team had players like Ronan Stack, a corner-back that starred for Roscommon in our u21 run, and even more so in St. Brigid's runs the last few years.

http://www.dcugaa.ie/node/107 - there's lists of all their teams there, some updated and some not but it gives you an idea of why DCU are a powerhouse at Sigerson level right now, they could name two or three teams that could beat the majority of other colleges.

rodney trotter

Granted I know the northern fringe players better than these lads from ros, dub and even cavan,

I don't know what you mean by "even Cavan"... because Cavan aren't setting the world alight at Senior, doesn't mean we aren't producing good players under - age. Cavan have won back to back Ulster u21 titles and a Minor Championhip in 2011. Jack Brady played in both those u21 teams and is his final year at u21

Orchardman

Simple points i made, far from a star studded team. Some lads creaming themselves about the talent on show at this DCU place.

Of course they have huge strength in depth, their a big College in Dublin, I would UCD have loads as well, but for some reason they havn't done the job for years. Fair play to sligo in their pomp, they were a small enough college who mainly had Donegal, sligo and mayo players. I don't know if they did a pile wrong as some people on here often claim.

Anyway, what is the truth about these free cars etc, is it bullshit or not. Paul flynn claims the only thing he ever got was gym membershp from DCU. He was fairly straight up about it in recent interviews, while moyna claims he turns lads away ( like murphy) and tells them to repeat leaving cert and get proper grades. So maybe they are liars? or everyone else is just talking shite?

Orchardman

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 08, 2013, 12:09:57 AM

Granted I know the northern fringe players better than these lads from ros, dub and even cavan,

I don't know what you mean by "even Cavan"... because Cavan aren't setting the world alight at Senior, doesn't mean we aren't producing good players under - age. Cavan have won back to back Ulster u21 titles and a Minor Championhip in 2011. Jack Brady played in both those u21 teams and is his final year at u21

When i said 'even cavan' i meant because they are in ulster also and i wudnt be aware of how good this brady fella is are other lads. I dont know that monaghan guy either. I'm well aware that cavan are doing alot more under age than armagh are

ross4life

Orchardman i wasn't agreeing with CK more picking holes in his exaggerating post. Of course UUJ and Queens had stronger line ups even DCU themselves had stronger team other years but some still think all the best players are playing for them. As Rodney pointed out DIT,UCD have plenty of good players and looks like most of students today are choosing Dublin colleges probably because most of the jobs are also there.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hound

Quote from: Orchardman on February 08, 2013, 12:15:08 AM
Simple points i made, far from a star studded team. Some lads creaming themselves about the talent on show at this DCU place.

Of course they have huge strength in depth, their a big College in Dublin, I would UCD have loads as well, but for some reason they havn't done the job for years. Fair play to sligo in their pomp, they were a small enough college who mainly had Donegal, sligo and mayo players. I don't know if they did a pile wrong as some people on here often claim.

Anyway, what is the truth about these free cars etc, is it bullshit or not. Paul flynn claims the only thing he ever got was gym membershp from DCU. He was fairly straight up about it in recent interviews, while moyna claims he turns lads away ( like murphy) and tells them to repeat leaving cert and get proper grades. So maybe they are liars? or everyone else is just talking shite?
I think I heard Flynn has free use of a car from some garage. I know Cullen used to drive round in a Citroen provided by a garage in North County Dublin, and that coincided with his time in DCU. But I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with DCU, its because of being a high profile Dublin player. And I'm sure its not only the odd Dub who gets a car dealer to sponsor them in this way.

Denn Forever

QuotePaul flynn claims the only thing he ever got was gym membershp from DCU.
t

Is this a Gym that is not as DCU?  I thought as a student were automatically a member of the DCU gym?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...