Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Cúchulainns

Its all about the Hurling.

CiKe

Quote from: thejuice on September 30, 2012, 07:02:27 PM
I think it would have been close but for the sending off. Referee got it right but the disallowed goal was a joke. And but for the width of a post for Joes shot.

Don't think Kilkenny were that much better than Galway when it was 15 vs 15.

Galway were very lucky to be four points down at half time - their second goal the Kilkenny forward was near decapitated and didn't get a free! The disallowed goal he had already blown, if he has already blown he can't then play on.

The game up to the sending off was always much closer than it should have been but Kilkenny backs were pretty dominant. Stupid stupid stupid from Donnellan but Galway gave away several stupid frees, none more so than latish on in the second half the fells loses the hurl and grabs the legs of the boy despite another back there - they were hardly going to miss a free from 25 yards.

It was an entertaining game for 50minutes but thought Kilkennt always looked likely winners.

Who got MOTM?

gallsman

Think people are kidding themselves when they say it would have been close other than sending off. Obviously the red card brought a bit of finality to it but KK were out-hurling them all over the pitch for 90% of the match. Galway were gifted two very soft goals (Herity was dreadful for the first, the second shouldn't have even happened as there were two fouls on KK forwards before the ball was cleared) and KK came right back at them after each of them. TJ scored a point within 10 seconds of the first one going in and KK hit 1-7 without replay in response to the second.

Walsh worked brilliantly and KK finally found a way to take Johnny Coen out of the came. Fennelly showed up today after being very, very disappointing last time out. Andy Smith tried hard but Fennelly and Buckley ruled midfield - Tannian was anonymous. Canning was largely kept quiet from play and he was reduced to trying to set up scores for others as he was constantly hounded by two or three defenders. 

Everyone from 7-15 scored from play for Kilkenny. At times the game might have been close on the scoreboard, but it never was on the pitch. Shefflin immense again and would be my MOTM. Power really picked up after being so poor three weeks ago.

Donnellan's swing was disgraceful. If Richie Hogan deserved a red for his slap against Limerick (which he did), then Donnellan deserved three of them for that.

One downside to KK - David Herity has been an absolute liability all summer. he should have claimed the ball in for first goal. Made an awful attempt at swiping at the disallowed one when putting himself in the way would have been better option and also messed up lifting a ball that dropped in front of him - think it was Tyrrell had to clear off the line. Dunno what goalkeeping options they have but Herity will be a lucky boy if he keeps his place next year.

Tipp minors looked very impressive. I was shocked that Dublin got a draw the first time out but this was much closer to the script. They have some outstanding young hurlers in the half backs and midfield. Have seen the LHB, Barry Heffernan, a few times now and he's a fantastic prospect. Big frame on him as well - once he grows into it, Tipp could have another Paraic Maher. Noel McGrath's brother at RHF and the two corner forwards also looked very handy.

gallsman

Quote from: naka on September 30, 2012, 05:35:54 PM
thought ref very harsh on galway
cats always seemed to get easier frees

Horseshit. They got nothing the last day.

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on September 30, 2012, 05:19:47 PM
Quote from: Gold on September 30, 2012, 04:38:10 PM
Johnny Glynn is shite, a donkey. Ruined it for Galway, he can't dip a ball. Ref also ruined it, disallowing a legit goal.
Fcukin hell I thought Glynn did well.

Donnellan is a stupid, selfish fcuker and lost his team the game.

Maybe i was harsh but at that crucial point in second half, when the Cats hunger was at its most ferocious, Glynn missed 3 different attempts to pick a ball up and the cats got the ball and cleared. He went on to score a good goal in the puck about that followed the game
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

gallsman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 29, 2012, 08:47:12 AM
Desperation from Cody now. Putting a giant mullocker on the edge of the square!
And to think Kilkenny fans used to sneer at Tipp using Redser O'Grady at full forward.

Redser ever manage to score 1-3 in a Tipp shirt?

gallsman

Walter Walsh man of the match. Not a bad debut. Thought Shefflin would nick it from Hogan.

Syferus

The sight of some Kilkenny supporters leaving before Liam was even lifted was as dramatic a statement on how cheap success can become when it is the norm.

How I wish I could see our senior team ascend the Hogan Stand just once.

Just once.

Croí na hÉireann

As good as Barry Kelly was the first day, I thought James McGrath had a poor day at HQ yesterday. Cats learned more from the first game, got their match ups right and brought more intensity in the first half. Injuries to Skehill and Canning probably meant that Galway were never going to win the game. Cannings shot that hit the butt of the post was the turning point as KK went straight down the field to tag on another point. That and the sending off took the belief out of Galway.

Wonder is there any danger of Cody exciting stage left now? Thought he looked jaded early this year and if was to call it a day now would be a good time after another 2 in a row. Galway need to build on this year and get back to a final next year. If they can keep the heads right they should be there or thereabouts.

As great as an achievement it is, it's hard to listen to Shefflin going on about his 9 AIs when he wasn't asked about them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Canalman

Quote from: gallsman on September 30, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
Walter Walsh man of the match. Not a bad debut. Thought Shefflin would nick it from Hogan.

Amazed at that to be honest. Was at the game and admittedly it is hard to fathom who is who alot of the time with the helmets and the speed of the game but I had motm as Brian Hogan with Killian Buckley and especially the corner back Murphy in with a shot.

Bord na Mona man

Galway just didn't have the players to sling it over the bar from outside the 45.
Their half forward line again scored more goals than points.
It meant that Galway had to secure possession much further up the field than Kilkenny to get scores.

Despite all that you'd wonder what would have happened had Galway equalised with one of those goal chances in the 2nd half? They hadn't been playing well, but could they have spooked the Cats who had made all the running up to then?

Kilkenny are masters at piling on the misery when the opposition finally yield, but very often teams stay with them for long parts of the match. There have been several double digit Kilkenny victories under Cody where the margin was only built up late on when the opposition felt they couldn't win.

joe bloggs

I feel that the game hinged completely on those five minutes in the second half following Donnelans disallowed goal.
In fairness to the ref he did try to play advantage but by the time Donnelan was striking the ball there had been about three fouls. Don't blame the ref, blame the rule book that does not allow a rugby style advantage.
Even still had Cannings shot hit the net, then it was anyones game, but instead Kilkenny managed to clear it and score, and instantly you could feel momentum was swinging back to the cats, then to top it all off, Donnelan has his red mist moment. Game over.

The Trap

BRUTAL GAME, SAME AS LAST YEAR, HURLING FAST LOSING ITS REPUTATION - KILKENNY JUST TOO GOOD FOR EVERYONE ELSE......NO EXCITEMENT BAR 2 MINUTES IN THE FIRST HALF........IF I WANT 2 MINUTES OF EXCITEMENT I CAN GO UPSTAIRS WITH THE MISSUS  ;).

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: joe bloggs on October 01, 2012, 02:03:07 PM
I feel that the game hinged completely on those five minutes in the second half following Donnelans disallowed goal.
In fairness to the ref he did try to play advantage but by the time Donnelan was striking the ball there had been about three fouls. Don't blame the ref, blame the rule book that does not allow a rugby style advantage.
Even still had Cannings shot hit the net, then it was anyones game, but instead Kilkenny managed to clear it and score, and instantly you could feel momentum was swinging back to the cats, then to top it all off, Donnelan has his red mist moment. Game over.

But that's just it, there was no foul on Donnellan. There were fouls on Hayes immediately before but the ref decided to play advantage as he turned around once it was clear to Hayes that he wasn't gonna be able to force his way through. Have no idea what advantage he was given to Hayes there. Then Donnellan darts past two and he decides to blow up as he's getting his shot off after not being fouled? Very poor I thought.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

belleaqua

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2012, 02:58:32 PM
Quote from: joe bloggs on October 01, 2012, 02:03:07 PM

But that's just it, there was no foul on Donnellan. There were fouls on Hayes immediately before but the ref decided to play advantage as he turned around once it was clear to Hayes that he wasn't gonna be able to force his way through. Have no idea what advantage he was given to Hayes there. Then Donnellan darts past two and he decides to blow up as he's getting his shot off after not being fouled? Very poor I thought.

Watching it again here and it's a terrible terrible decision. Ger Loughnane then thinks that because McGrath has his hand up in the air that he has signified a free while Damian Hayes has the ball. That's the advantage signal Ger.

Donnellan breaks the tackle, isnt fouled and as he lets loose the shot the whistle blows. It does not affect the Kilkenny defenders or goalkeeper. Firstly it was wrong to blow him up in the first place when it was clear he had rode the tackle and secondly he could have had the courage to let it stand. Yes there is no advantage play written in the rule book but refs often play it. Brian Gavin is an example of this and I cant recall the exact game but I remember him letting a goal stand just after blowing a whistle in a championship game in the last couple of years.

It affected the game as a contest but I dont think it affected the result.