when gstq is played in croke park remember aidan mc anespie

Started by true ulster gael, February 22, 2007, 06:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: stephenite on February 24, 2007, 02:22:11 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 24, 2007, 11:55:34 AM
I have no problem with anyone expressing their view paddy but sitting in Mayo and preaching about people "moving on" and accusing people of choosing not to move on is as patronising as it gets.  I wonder would Mayo4sam go to one of his own neighbours who have lost someone belonging to them, in any circumstance, and tell them to move on! I doubt it.

You've an awful habit of presuming that everone/anyone who has an opinion on anything related to the troubles, who's from the Republic has no experience of what has gone on, you've accused me of the same thing a few years back and I had to point out family history and the amount of time spent in the North growing up.

You've no idea of what M4S's experiences of the troubles are, I think you'll find he has more than you think, but he can explain that for himself if he so chooses.

'Tis a small wee island POG, you shouldn't be so quick to assume some have no experience of British rule based on their handle.
If he does have experiences than it makes his comments even more ridiculous.  I would expect anyone, anywhere in the world, to know that it's not very easy to forgive and forget. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stephenite

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 24, 2007, 02:27:49 PM
If he does have experiences than it makes his comments even more ridiculous.  I would expect anyone, anywhere in the world, to know that it's not very easy to forgive and forget. 

Not easy at all, but can be done.

I'm not in anyway trying to state how the McAnespies should react to their tragedy BTW, they have every right be unforgiving and never forget.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

balladmaker

Quoteballadmaker, what part of the country do you hail from?

Slim....I'm from the occupied north east of the island of Ireland.

My point about location and where people are from is very valid..imo.  It is easy for people to sit in the south pontificating to those from the north who dare to challenge their arrogant attitudes regarding who we have the right to remember and who we don't.

BallyhaiseMan

let the few thousand of them sing their GSTQ, im looking forward to 65,000 lifting the roof off croke when A na Bhf is played  :)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

"A pause as the crowd waits for McAleese to take her seat. And then the band strikes up with God Save the Queen. There is audible singing around the ground and no obvious signs of disrespect. The singing of the anthem is greeted with gracious applause and then the home crowd belt out their own anthem."

from the BBC website - nice to see they anticipated some 'obvious signs of disrespect' from the Irish holligans.

God bless you ma'am.

paddypastit

Quotenice to see they anticipated some 'obvious signs of disrespect' from the Irish holligans
FAM - hardly surprising. IIRC there were even people on here both predicting and advocating booing of the English Anthem?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

ONeill

SO, what did you do and how did you feel when GSTQ was played?

I was tucking into peppered chicken and spuds with some greens. Felt fine but had terrible wind from the previous day's cockles.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

turkey+ham

Lets face it, it meant nuthin. A load of squaddies singing a god awful anthem. We must rise above this drivel.

balladmaker

QuoteSO, what did you do and how did you feel when GSTQ was played?

To be honest, I was slightly emotional when I heard it being played, only because I was thinking of my late grandfather, as I imagined what he would have made of it.

As for our own anthem, it was pretty special, it is a pity we have to detract from it by playing Ireland's Call.  I suggest someone in the IRFU hierarchy takes a long look at the reasoning behind NOT playing Ireland's National Anthem when playing abroad!

Square Ball

They could have played the Archers for all i cared about it, but when the played my national anthem, that was it, looking at the faces of the some of the guys in green who were crying, bloody hell it would have brought tears to a stone.

we beat them by 30 points, yes 30 points, who here would have guested that, fecking bloody brilliant
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: balladmaker on February 25, 2007, 12:19:47 AM

To be honest, I was slightly emotional when I heard it being played, only because I was thinking of my late grandfather, as I imagined what he would have made of it.

As for our own anthem, it was pretty special, it is a pity we have to detract from it by playing Ireland's Call.  I suggest someone in the IRFU hierarchy takes a long look at the reasoning behind NOT playing Ireland's National Anthem when playing abroad!

Ballardmaker - there is a very simple reason the Irish National Anthem isn't played abroad and that is because it is not the anthem for the Northern Protestants and out of sympathy with their beliefs Irelands Call is used....

SammyG

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on February 25, 2007, 02:48:09 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on February 25, 2007, 12:19:47 AM

Ballardmaker - there is a very simple reason the Irish National Anthem isn't played abroad and that is because it is not the anthem for the Northern Protestants and out of sympathy with their beliefs Irelands Call is used....

Sorry but that is complete nonsense. The anthem of the Republic, is played in the Republic, as a mark of respect to the hosts. It has nothing to do with the team and does not in any way represent the team (how can a partitionist anthem represent a 32 county team?).

On a similar issue that cnut O'Gara should be hauled over the coals for his behaviour yesterday. Dancing about and doing stretches during Ireland's Call, if one of the English lads had done it, there would have (quie rightly) been a major diplomatic incident.  >:(

AZOffaly

Sammy. that 'cnut' O'Gara? Come off it. What, do you think he hates all Northern Unionists? Perhaps after standing for The Presidential Salute, the Intros, GSTQ, AnBhF he was beginning to stiffen up, or , God Forbid, get nervous. As the camera panned down the line for Ireland's Call, he was standing 'shoulder to shoulder' just like everything else.

Sometimes you just *want* to be offended Sammy. I suspect your problem with O'Gara has more to do with the fact that he supplanted your hero David Humphreys.

I found this on YouTube, and while I take your word that you saw O'Gara stretching or whatever, you can't pick it up here. Mountain and molehill spring to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6-bYixpYE

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: SammyG on February 25, 2007, 12:07:38 PM

Sorry but that is complete nonsense. The anthem of the Republic, is played in the Republic, as a mark of respect to the hosts. It has nothing to do with the team and does not in any way represent the team (how can a partitionist anthem represent a 32 county team?).

On a similar issue that cnut O'Gara should be hauled over the coals for his behaviour yesterday. Dancing about and doing stretches during Ireland's Call, if one of the English lads had done it, there would have (quie rightly) been a major diplomatic incident.  >:(

Disgraceful comment, Sammy. That 'cnut', as you call him, scored his 700th point yesterday for Ireland in this famous victory.