Dublin v Tyrone 7th March 2015 7pm - 20 years ago since 1995 AI final Rivalry

Started by Fuzzman, February 27, 2015, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: rrhf on March 07, 2015, 10:04:15 PM
Aye we did, Ye dont take yer chances in Croke Park ye rarely win.  How many was there tonight?  Felt big Mc Nulty was outstanding and destroyed Bastick.

27,000 in attendance, Bastick is finished Im afraid

Canalman

A truly shocking game as a spectacle tonight.

Neither county will be within an ass's roar of Sam in September.

3 times in the 1st half there was not a single Tyrone player outside their own 45 line. Absolutely bizarre stuff .   Several other times Cluxton,  O'Carroll and the Tyrone full forward on their own in the Dublin half. Chatting away and swapping water bottle at times. 

Would fear for the game in the future after tonight.

Tyrone deserved to win and imho around 4 Dublin players played themselves out of consideration of the championship team they were so bad.

moysider

Quote from: Canalman on March 07, 2015, 11:19:39 PM

3 times in the 1st half there was not a single Tyrone player outside their own 45 line. Absolutely bizarre stuff .   Several other times Cluxton,  O'Carroll and the Tyrone full forward on their own in the Dublin half. Chatting away and swapping water bottle at times. 

Tyrone deserved to win and imho around 4 Dublin players played themselves out of consideration of the championship team they were so bad.

This ultra version of blanket defense was unveiled in McHale Park in the second round and it has got Tyrone 3 results in a row after an awful start to the league v Monaghan. So we can expect an improving model from Tyrone from now on. No way is Harte going to abandon this route imo. How can he. I had my doubts about it holding up v Dubs in open spaces in CP but it more than held its own and expect it to develop into the Summer.

Canalman

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2015, 11:22:33 PM

You're being a tad sensationalist IMO. I thought it was a really good game to be honest.

Most everyone I spoke to after the game was aghast like myself. TV does not really convey what a blanket defence does to a game as a spectacle. 

Seen a certain Dublin defender pull out of three 50/ 50  tackles in the second half and I  have to say for all our faults in the past  I have never had reason to say that before.

LeoMc

Tyrone have 1-2 ore gears, Dublin have 4.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2015, 11:22:33 PM

You're being a tad sensationalist IMO. I thought it was a really good game to be honest.

Not a great game, but not bad; nowhere near as bad as Canalman is making out.  Defence is part of the game.  If that's your strength, play to it. 

I'd be worried about Dublin's inability to deal with the blanket defence come summer, myself.

the goal was on

I would nt be too worried about Dublin. Started tonight without fitzsimmons brennan mc carthy Macauley o sullivan Flynn Connolly a brogan Costello j small so can only take so much out of a draw!!

the goal was on

Oh and paul mannion and Conor mc Hugh options. Serious strength and depth!

blewuporstuffed

Typical sensationalist BS when a team puts in a good defensive performance.  Actually thought it was a good game,tight and exciting till the end and some decent passages play and good football.
Unless it finishes 4-15 to 3-18 with not defending taking place at all some people aren't happy.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: the goal was on on March 07, 2015, 11:56:32 PM
I would nt be too worried about Dublin. Started tonight without fitzsimmons brennan mc carthy Macauley o sullivan Flynn Connolly a brogan Costello j small so can only take so much out of a draw!!

Fair enough, but none of Costello, Small, Fitszimmons and maybe even Brennan are guaranteed starters.  And if anything Dublin had a harder time of things in the second half once Flynn and O' Sullivan were on the field.

Fuzzman

Jesus Dublin fans don't look like it when things are put up to them. Too used to winning matches I'd say.
I was behind the Davin goals and how the umpire didn't give Tyrone two 45's in the first half I'll never know. Even the very biased lads behind me admitted the 2nd one.

A lot of frustrated folk around me used to watching too much Leinster dodgeball. The relief when they scored the goal was huge. At least my eldest lad was smiling again.
Too early in the season to write off Dubs but the more tough games like this the better for them.

thejuice

What's people's opinion on Dean Rock. He wS great at U21 but seems to be finding it hard to nail down a place at senior
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: thejuice on March 08, 2015, 01:07:40 AM
What's people's opinion on Dean Rock. He wS great at U21 but seems to be finding it hard to nail down a place at senior

Did his chances no harm today anyway.  I'd thought he was gone off the boil over the past few games, but was the only Dublin forward to make an impact today (except for O' Gara' winning the ball and laying on the goal).

Fuzzman

Dean Rock is a definite starter for most people. He missed quite a few last night which isn't like him. He was being used as s major impact sub last year a lot like McManoman.
In the pub after the game in town I met a lot of Dubs who are VERY unhappy with Gavin.
After they finally got over defending themselves about Dublin's thirds and how Tyrone are so ultra negative and play ugly football which I agree with, we finally discussed how we do beat these systems.
The general consensus was it's not easy but Gavin's naivity v Donegal last year is still there. He has no plan B and the amount of times Tyrone broke fast down the pitch and scored handy enough scores whereas Dublin had to battle for every score.
Met McCurry after the game and he was very annoyed with himself about his shooting on the night.
Morgan also had an off night and showed us what it feels like to lose when her free taker is off his game. The fact that its your keeper seems to add to that frustration as there is more pressure or expectation on him just cos he's not an outfield player.
I'd say Mickey is raging we threw that away.
Again we showed our Jekyl and Hyde side again. I hate us playing at home any more but luckily so do the games admin team when we go back door.

It's horrible to watch but fair dues to Mickey H for his tactics last night. It certainly works and the disciplined tackling was exceptional. Justy and McNamee played well I thought but must watch it again on TV today.
I'd say Dub will beat most teams that don't play such a defensive system but I think most Dubs with a brain will be worried now again about walking Leinster and coming up against that type of game again. Especially now as Kerry too have sold their soul to it.

rrhf

the talking was done on the pitch.
i think we have the bones of something good here.  Niall Mc Kenna would have added more presence had he been fit and I hope tierney is not a long termer.
Id be replacing Morgan on current form.  His positioning was poor for the goal and his free taking is a disaster.
Id still take Big Sean over Michael Murphy any day.
Colm, Padraig, Justy, Mc Namee all played well. We lack finishers when a man like Mc Curry is off his game.  He has been Tyrones star performer this year to date though. 
Hats off to Harte for laying down a game plan which for the most part worked.