Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

I would not panic yet and James has seen a lot of players over the past few weeks. There is still a lot of quality to come in and if it gels we should be fine. If everyone is committed we should be looking to get promotoed.

Smurfy123

I don't know what's hilarious but anyway
At this level you need pace everywhere
That's why Barry O and Mooney are our 2 most important players
Darren could play as sweeper.
Again he has been some servant but time waits on no one
Havern will be an important player and is a certain starter with Quinn alongside him
That's a serious full forward line
I think many are overstating division 2
Galway Derry Offaly Meath Clare Westmeath Cork hardly world beaters

Galway wanted Joyce out
Kildare beat Cork in playoff game then Kerry beat them by 20
Derry no SN players

Down can compete with all

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 12, 2022, 08:54:31 AM
Havern will be an important player and is a certain starter with Quinn alongside him

Galway wanted Joyce out
Derry no SN players

Lads on Friday night I was not impressed with PH and thought he looked rusty. Did he not take a year out of football? I think Kevin is a better target man and scored some good points last night I would play Mooney at half back as he gets more space to open up the legs. If we can tighten our defense up then I think we have the forward power to test most teams.

mourneman9194

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 12, 2022, 09:07:27 AM

Galway wanted Joyce out
Derry no SN players

Lads on Friday night I was not impressed with PH and thought he looked rusty. Did he not take a year out of football? I think Kevin is a better target man and scored some good points last night I would play Mooney at half back as he gets more space to open up the legs. If we can tighten our defense up then I think we have the forward power to test most teams.

Havern didn't play last year for saval, the game against donegal would have been his first game in nearly 2 years. Was actually surprised to see him anywhere near the panel this year. Division 2 will come down to the games against Offaly, Westmeath and Clare, get results there and we should be OK.

5times5times

Murdock
McElroy
O Hagen

Poland
McParland
McCormack

Imagine that defence against the likes of:
Tyrone - Meyler, McKenna, McCurry, Canavan
Donegal - McB, Murphy, Brennan, Langan
Armagh - Oneill, Campbell, Turbitt, Grugan
Monaghan - McManus, McCarron, McCarthy

Doesn't bare thinking about..........  :o :-[

snoopdog

Quote from: mourneman9194 on January 12, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 12, 2022, 09:07:27 AM

Galway wanted Joyce out
Derry no SN players

Havern didn't play last year for saval, the game against donegal would have been his first game in nearly 2 years. Was actually surprised to see him anywhere near the panel this year. Division 2 will come down to the games against Offaly, Westmeath and Clare, get results there and we should be OK.
Westmeath aren't in Div 2. I assume you mean Meath. They hammered us last year in league.  Clare have been In Div 2 for a while now. Its a tough task to stay up .

upandwin

Jesus lads there's no lack of pessimism on this thread...I didn't see the game last night but heard it wasn't great to say the least. Saw the team announced and there's a lot of change to come in to be fair to them. Gilmore looks a serious prospect and he wasn't playing last night, McCormack as well could add legs to that team. So no Uni lads involved and some men obviously getting a chance as we weren't going to win the group anyway so experimenting with a good few lads. The handful of Kilcoo lads to come back in as well will add significantly to the squad, alongside Cory Quinn, Lim Kerr, Havern and Sigerson players I think we will stay up in Div2. Won't be easy but I was at the Donegal game and was very impressed with large portions of the game so there's a fair bit to be positive about IMO.

Who from Kilcoo realistically will commit this year, that's the big question?

Smurfy123

I do think Down could easily push for 4th position in 2
A good few lads to come back in
But we need to move on from some lads who have been about to long

Mooney
Barry o
Cory q
Havern
Doherty
Murdock
Darren o

Alll above are certs for first game

Add in
Kilcoo lads
Kerr
Then we have a good team

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on January 12, 2022, 11:56:52 AM
Jesus lads there's no lack of pessimism on this thread...I didn't see the game last night but heard it wasn't great to say the least. Saw the team announced and there's a lot of change to come in to be fair to them. Gilmore looks a serious prospect and he wasn't playing last night, McCormack as well could add legs to that team. So no Uni lads involved and some men obviously getting a chance as we weren't going to win the group anyway so experimenting with a good few lads. The handful of Kilcoo lads to come back in as well will add significantly to the squad, alongside Cory Quinn, Lim Kerr, Havern and Sigerson players I think we will stay up in Div2. Won't be easy but I was at the Donegal game and was very impressed with large portions of the game so there's a fair bit to be positive about IMO.

Ryan McEvoy, The 3 Johnstons, Ward, Doc , Devlin, Rooney. Why would they not?

thewobbler

Who are the Sigerson players currently not involved?

upandwin

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 12, 2022, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: upandwin on January 12, 2022, 11:56:52 AM

Ryan McEvoy, The 3 Johnstons, Ward, Doc , Devlin, Rooney. Why would they not?

Just curious as there seems to be a question mark every year who goes and who doesn't go to Down...some players might want a break after a run to (potentially) an AI championship...before a new season starts in 2 months time with the club again

Was there not a question mark over whether RJ and JJ would go back?

upandwin

Quote from: thewobbler on January 12, 2022, 12:45:20 PM
Who are the Sigerson players currently not involved?

Charlie Smyth, Ruairi McCormack and Andrew Gilmore...the latter two played on Friday night and impressed...

Truth hurts

There are close to 30,000 living in Newry. Why are we not getting enough county players from this City?

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 12, 2022, 02:38:32 PM
There are close to 30,000 living in Newry. Why are we not getting enough county players from this City?
This issue has been flogged to death over the years on this Board.

Truth hurts

Quote from: wobbller on January 12, 2022, 02:54:34 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 12, 2022, 02:38:32 PM
This issue has been flogged to death over the years on this Board.

Ok , MR Kill the craic

btw the real Wobbler is much better craic