Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Highly disappointing to see us involved in another fracas.  It has to stop.  I can't fathom that our management would send the players out to do that - but it's something that has to be forcibly drilled in from here on.  No more of it.  If the GAA don't have anything in place to stop 2 teams who are pumped up after a hard fought finish running down the tunnel together then we have to get our own house in order and instruct our players to wait on the pitch.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 10:28:28 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 10:07:43 AM
If we had won that match it would have been a great steal but it is still hard to take given the nature of the defeat. That said I don't understand all the hand wringing over penalty kicks. The rules are the same for both sides and we had 100+ minutes to win the match and didn't do so. As well as Rafferty played, I thought that Armagh should have brought on an actual shot stopper for the penalty kicks. That was a huge mistake by management. 

Kelly will get suspended for the gouging incident but he is a young lad who got carried away with the emotion and will have regrets this morning but some of the reaction is way ott. 

As a fellow Ulster man I would like to see Derry get to an AI final but nor would I be too disappointed to see Galway there either as they have great supporters and have a long tradition of producing great footballers none more so than Padraig Joyce who was very gracious in victory afterwards.

Good post Yellowcard.

Funnily enough, lads on tv were talking about changing Rafferty for a 'normal keeper' in the last minute of extra-time.

It was the first thought that entered my head. Shit, can Ethan dive?  He couldn't have done much about the penalties though. They were well taken.  The Galway keeper didn't have to make a save on the 2 we missed.
That's just, like your opinion man.

WT4E

Quote from: Armamike on June 27, 2022, 10:33:08 AM
Highly disappointing to see us involved in another fracas.  It has to stop.  I can't fathom that our management would send the players out to do that - but it's something that has to be forcibly drilled in from here on.  No more of it.  If the GAA don't have anything in place to stop 2 teams who are pumped up after a hard fought finish running down the tunnel together then we have to get our own house in order and instruct our players to wait on the pitch.

It wasn't the GAA fault
Its hard to believe that its not drilled into Armagh to start rows considering the amount of incidents Armagh are involved in
Its rumoured they coach MMA
Ironically one of the only things barred in MMA is eye gouging!

Gael80

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.
Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

The most vocal opponents to the pens post game was actually Pádraic Joyce and Sean Cavanagh. This goes beyond 'sour grapes' which I don't think the discussion is about. I think most football people accept it's a problem that needs looking at. I'd much rather listen to legends of the game to be honest who understand the effort required to compete at inter county level.

It is sour grapes.

As time passes, this will all move on. Of course Joyce would say that - every winning manager says that. It's the norm.

I don't like penalties either but it's the way it is.

I never hear a team in the run up to a match complaining about penalties being on the cards.

Galway probably practisied penalty kicks during the week. Did Armagh I wonder?

Armagh were well beat, got lucky with a few high balls but Galway were the better team.

Good luck to Galway, they're a serious team and set up who'll get very close to the All Ireland title which will show how good this Armagh team and set up are.

I've huge respect for Joyce for what he has achieved in the game and how he goes about setting his teams up, I'd tend to listen to what he says as he is a football man first and foremost and cares about the game.

As for a team being 'well beat' after drawing 90 minutes of football....are you ok?

I think Armagh's strength was the high ball, they might regret not using it enough but hard to criticise either team after such an epic that neither team lost in 90 minutes of normal play.

Armagh18

If we had won that match it would have been a great steal but it is still hard to take given the nature of the defeat. That said I don't understand all the hand wringing over penalty kicks. The rules are the same for both sides and we had 100+ minutes to win the match and didn't do so. As well as Rafferty played, I thought that Armagh should have brought on an actual shot stopper for the penalty kicks. That was a huge mistake by management. 

Kelly will get suspended for the gouging incident but he is a young lad who got carried away with the emotion and will have regrets this morning but some of the reaction is way ott. 

As a fellow Ulster man I would like to see Derry get to an AI final but nor would I be too disappointed to see Galway there either as they have great supporters and have a long tradition of producing great footballers none more so than Padraig Joyce who was very gracious in victory afterwards.

Good post Yellowcard.

Funnily enough, lads on tv were talking about changing Rafferty for a 'normal keeper' in the last minute of extra-time.
Rafferty very close to a couple of the penalties plus he's a bigger presence in the net than Blaine. Probably one of those where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Armagh18

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 10:41:32 AM

It wasn't the GAA fault
Its hard to believe that its not drilled into Armagh to start rows considering the amount of incidents Armagh are involved in
Number one Comer started that row which was absolute handbags bar the eye gouge.

Taylor

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 10:41:32 AM

It wasn't the GAA fault

As much as I dislike them being an opposing county the above is a complete load of shite.

How do you drill it into a team to start rows?

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 10:48:02 AM

Good post Yellowcard.

Rafferty very close to a couple of the penalties plus he's a bigger presence in the net than Blaine. Probably one of those where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But he's not an actual goalkeeper. He is there for his size and kicking ability. He is too big to get down quickly for spot kicks. The safe decision was to stick with Rafferty but he has only been a goalkeeper for 6 months. I think Hughes who has trained as an actual goalkeeper for years would have been a much better choice. No guarantee he would have saved any but he would have given us a better chance.

the goal was on

Lot of hype about Armagh heading into weekend, tyrone's Niall Morgan suggesting they could win all Ireland!! Once again , they fell when expectation rose. To there credit they never give up but Galway really should have seen that game out comfortably.

Armagh18

Quote from: the goal was on on June 27, 2022, 10:52:57 AM
Lot of hype about Armagh heading into weekend, tyrone's Niall Morgan suggesting they could win all Ireland!! Once again , they fell when expectation rose. To there credit they never give up but Galway really should have seen that game out comfortably.
To be honest we definitely could have- just like 6 of the 8 teams in the quarters. On balance Galway probably deserved to win it overall. Best of luck to them in the semi final. We're back at the top table and big days out. More to come from this team.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...

Ah ffs catch yourself on, players would play a game every night of the week to get to an AI semi-final.

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 10:48:02 AM

Good post Yellowcard.

But he's not an actual goalkeeper. He is there for his size and kicking ability. He is too big to get down quickly for spot kicks. The safe decision was to stick with Rafferty but he has only been a goalkeeper for 6 months. I think Hughes who has trained as an actual goalkeeper for years would have been a much better choice. No guarantee he would have saved any but he would have given us a better chance.

As a player you would know that if you hit the target you have a great chance of scoring if the person in nets isnt a conventional goalkeeper.
This increases your chances of scoring rather than having to place it in a particular spot which the second Armagh player that missed had to do

Rudi

fearsiuil

The Galway sub/ panel member that swung after the gouging incident at Tiernan Kelly should see bit of a suspension also. Would be a handy way for all concerned to see these boys suspended, the Nugent & Seán Kelly reds rescinded and moving on allowing Galway a full hand v Derry. Penalising the extended panel and non playing individuals involved is fair in my opinion.

WT4E

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 27, 2022, 11:00:47 AM
The Galway sub/ panel member that swung after the gouging incident at Tiernan Kelly should see bit of a suspension also. Would be a handy way for all concerned to see these boys suspended, the Nugent & Seán Kelly reds rescinded and moving on allowing Galway a full hand v Derry. Penalising the extended panel and non playing individuals involved is fair in my opinion.

The sub who swung for Kelly deserves a medal!