Derry v Clare AI QF

Started by HiMucker, June 13, 2022, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2022, 11:41:06 AM
Think it's more the speed of the surface that makes the difference ie it doesn't play bigger but it plays faster.

I remember talking to some lads who were playing in an intermediate club final a few years back and one of them mentioned that the size of the stands threw them off a bit in terms of judging distance when kicking. Was something I hadn't heard mentioned before in discussion about playing in Croke Park. This would have been their first time playing in Croke Park. Their own pitch would be a big pitch and not far off Croke Park size.

armaghniac

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 20, 2022, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2022, 11:41:06 AM
Think it's more the speed of the surface that makes the difference ie it doesn't play bigger but it plays faster.

I remember talking to some lads who were playing in an intermediate club final a few years back and one of them mentioned that the size of the stands threw them off a bit in terms of judging distance when kicking. Was something I hadn't heard mentioned before in discussion about playing in Croke Park. This would have been their first time playing in Croke Park. Their own pitch would be a big pitch and not far off Croke Park size.

I think it is helpful that Armagh had a good game in Croke Park back in January. It means that all their players are used to the place and associate it with success. If Armagh go at it then they have every chance, but if they are apprehensive and timid then they are banjaxed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

U don't get used to a pitch after 1 game, seriously what Meath, Kildare excuse, they play there every Yr. Dublin who plays most games there, the only team used to Croke Park.

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2022, 12:19:14 AM
U don't get used to a pitch after 1 game, seriously what Meath, Kildare excuse, they play there every Yr. Dublin who plays most games there, the only team used to Croke Park.

Being hammered in Croke Park doesn't advance you, for sure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

Seemingly Derry will have a clean bill of health for the match.
What about Clare, any injury concerns or will they be full strength too?

Throw It Up Ref

The closer this game gets the more concerned I am for Clare.

I'd imagine Rory Gallagher as meticulous as he is will have had Derry training on a surface as close to Croke Parks as possible and will have had the squad down for a tour of the facilities. A number of the Derry players will have played there for their clubs and school. Both teams are as susceptible to the atmosphere and size of the crowd in attendance.

In my opinion the speed of the surface will suit Derry's counter attacking game. Think Tyrone in the latter years under Mickey Harte. When Clare meet the mass zonal defence it, the only way to unlock it is through patient movement trying to open gaps in it. If Derry get a turnover they'll have 60-80 metres of wide open spaces to carry into. Every turnover Derry get will boost their morale and sap Clare's. Tyrone have destroyed teams playing like this but it was never enough to win an All-Ireland. As brutal as it would be to watch the only way Clare have a chance is to mimic Derry but there's no way they've had enough time to prepare that sort of game plan.

Dublin are the masters of unlocking this sort of defence. You often hear talk of how they would have worked with basketball coaches on their movement to open up the spaces. Very similar scenario except obviously on a larger scale.

On another note Derry like Armagh will fully be convinced they can beat anyone. Rory Gallagher's intense style of management has a limited life space. You'd imagine Derry have this year and next year to challenge for an AI under Gallagher before fatigue sets into the group.

Keyser soze

if Derry were playing either of Meath or Roscommon they wouldn't be clear favourites to beat them and Clare have defeated both of them, this will be a very tough game with very little in it. 

Taylor

Derry folk will continue to trot out the old cliche about it being a tough game etc.

Truth of the matter is Derry are clear favourites for a reason - they are expected to win comfortably.

They have a superb system and will dismantle Clare - easy win for Doire

Keyser soze

You thought Ros would beat them handy, how did that pan out?

yellowcard

Clare were beaten in Munster by Limerick. Lets be honest if Derry don't beat them after beating 3 Division One teams to win Ulster then their season will end on a massive downer. I don't buy into any argument that they are in bonus territory for the season and I don't believe Rory Gallagher will either. You strike when the iron is hot since opportunities like this don't come along too often the way the draw has panned out. The same applies for Armagh and Galway.

Taylor

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 23, 2022, 02:40:22 PM

Who thought that?

Keyser soze

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on June 23, 2022, 02:59:30 PM
Clare were beaten in Munster by Limerick. Lets be honest if Derry don't beat them after beating 3 Division One teams to win Ulster then their season will end on a massive downer. I don't buy into any argument that they are in bonus territory for the season and I don't believe Rory Gallagher will either. You strike when the iron is hot since opportunities like this don't come along too often the way the draw has panned out. The same applies for Armagh and Galway.

Lost on penalties to Limerick and Clare was without their best midfielder Cathal O'Connor and best forward Keelan Sexton. I'd agree with your main point it would be a massive downer for Derry if they finished the season with a defeat in this game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Taylor

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 23, 2022, 04:02:49 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 23, 2022, 03:58:44 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 23, 2022, 02:40:22 PM

Who thought that?

Taylor

haha
You boys are some craic.

Come back on Sunday after you destroy them and lets talk

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose