America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on August 05, 2019, 09:35:21 PM
The gun homicide rate in the US is 73 times higher than that in the UK, and 111 times higher than that of Japan.

I'm pretty sure these places have video games.

But Trump says video games are the problem.

I think it might just be the guns that are the problem.

And of course his openly racist rhetoric.
m

We've hashed and rehashed this 1,000,000 times

The numbers you quote are nonsense. As a white male living in Massachusetts the gun homicide rate is a fraction of what you put up. In fact, the town I grew up in Ireland has had more murders than the town I currently reside in......and the town I currently reside in probably has 2000 people with valid gun permits

https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-america/

whitey

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2019, 09:46:43 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on August 05, 2019, 09:26:20 PM
My facebook feed is full of 'There's only one way to stop a bad guy with a gun, and that's a good guy with a gun' crap, and these are of parents my kids go to school with...
Given that the incident which claimed 22 lives happened in a Walmart in Texas, it's almost certain that at least some people in the vicinity were loaded with open carry or concealed carry. Since the shooter was arrested and seemingly unharmed, this idea of "good guy with a gun" was, without trying to sound blasé, a major fail.

The Walmart was specifically targeted due to its demographics-ie immigrants. They would be much, much less likely to be carrying  than a Budweiser drinking, pick up driving "local". But I completely agree with you, the good guy with a gun argument is pure nonsense

J70

My facebook feed is full of 'There's only one way to stop a bad guy with a gun, and that's a good guy with a gun' crap, and these are of parents my kids go to school with...

Apparently there were a few gun carriers in Walmart.

One said he didn't engage because he was afraid the cops would think HE was a shooter.

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on August 05, 2019, 11:07:16 PM

Apparently there were a few gun carriers in Walmart.

One said he didn't engage because he was afraid the cops would think HE was a shooter.

It just sounds all a bit wild west to me, but then I never grew up here or had the 2nd amendment drilled into me

Milltown Row2

Well at this rate it's better to just let it carry on as is. No amount of prayers or condolences will help, the sooner they wipe themselves out the better. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2019, 09:45:50 PM
The gun homicide rate in the US is 73 times higher than that in the UK, and 111 times higher than that of Japan.

m

The numbers you quote are nonsense. As a white male living in Massachusetts the gun homicide rate is a fraction of what you put up. In fact, the town I grew up in Ireland has had more murders than the town I currently reside in......and the town I currently reside in probably has 2000 people with valid gun permits

Yet you've done absolutely nothing to diispute my figures.

Presumably you think calling immigrants "snakes" does nothing to incite violence either.

But as a dedicated kool aid drinker, you would, wouldn't you.

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on August 05, 2019, 04:40:36 PM
A couple of weeks ago, Ted Cruz and Trump were on about designating Antifa as a terrorist outfit.

Any such murmurings from them on far right types?
Nah, they're too busy downgrading white supremacist terrorism as a threat

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on August 06, 2019, 12:10:21 AM
Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2019, 09:45:50 PM

m

Yet you've done absolutely nothing to diispute my figures.

Presumably you think calling immigrants "snakes" does nothing to incite violence either.

But as a dedicated kool aid drinker, you would, wouldn't you.

The death rate by firearm for a white person in Massachusetts is 3.3 per 100,000

Most of the murders nationwide occur in inner city neighborhoods where it wouldn't be safe for a white person to tread, night or day. eg IL rate for a white person is 7.2 per 100, 000. For African Americans it is 39.2.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/firearms-death-rate-by-raceethnicity/?currentTimeframe=0&selectedDistributions=white--black&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D

How different would Irelands murder statistics be, if you took Dublin out of the equation. Does including the Kinahan and Hutch murders pain an accurate picture of what happens in Belmullet ot Gortahawk or Ballinaspittle

sid waddell

Again "whitey" does nothing to challenge my figures and advances "far right talking points" which refuse to deal with the issues

Far right white terrorism is NOT a problem says "whitey", Trump's rhetoric comparing non-white immigrants to snakes and calling them rapists etc. is NOT a problem - it's the blacks and their inherent inferiority, or something something

You could set your watch by his far right racist responses

Brainwashing is a terrible thing and we see today exactly how the Nazis triumphed and how far useful idiots will go to defend mass murder and the things that cause it - because the far right today uses exactly the same techniques

Wildweasel74

How many mass shootings are there in Ireland Whitey? American access to guns is the real problem.

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 06, 2019, 10:32:26 AM
How many mass shootings are there in Ireland Whitey? American access to guns is the real problem.
The real problem is the centrality of the NRA to the GOP worldview
After Reagan broke the unions the right built an emotional identity for blue collar voters based on guns, "freedom" and markets.
Since then those people have been pauperised. It is a mess

Add in campaign finance

Top NRA funding for GOP senators

Sen. Burr: $6.9M
Sen. Blunt: $4.5M
Sen. Tillis: $4.4M
Sen. Gardner: $3.8M
Sen. Rubio: $3.3M
Sen. Ernst: $3.1M
Sen. Portman: $3M
Sen. Young: $2.8M
Sen. Cassidy: $2.8M
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

They talk about people being "seriously mentally unwell". I would counsel that those who are in fact "seriously mentally unwell" are those very people who say that Gun control is not the issue.

whitey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/10/1/18000524/mass-shootings-rare

There has been a rash of heavily publicized mass shootings in recent years. But those incidents, while tragic, are a tiny sliver of America's gun homicide problem. Mayors Against Illegal Guns, analyzing FBI data, found that fewer than 1 percent of homicide victims in 2010 were killed in incidents where four or more people died.

johnnycool

Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2019, 12:09:18 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/10/1/18000524/mass-shootings-rare

There has been a rash of heavily publicized mass shootings in recent years. But those incidents, while tragic, are a tiny sliver of America's gun homicide problem. Mayors Against Illegal Guns, analyzing FBI data, found that fewer than 1 percent of homicide victims in 2010 were killed in incidents where four or more people died.

Well that's not so bad then.

There's so many other "3 or less" killings that these mass shootings are not an issue.

In 2016 there were 14K people killed with guns, but only 71 were mass shootings.

Move along now, nothing to see here.

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2019, 12:09:18 PM

Mass shootings are not rare anymore . . . there have been 248 of them this year (hardly rare) so far why are you using out dated info from 10 years ago??

Just because more people die from single gun related incidents than from a mass shooting doesn't make the gun problem any less. . . strange posting from you whitey you're usually better than that at least!!