American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

gallsman

Officiating wasn't spectacular in the second game either. Not sure there was enough to overturn the Edelman muffed punt call and Brady got one of the worst roughing the passer calls I've ever seen.

David McKeown

Quote from: gallsman on January 21, 2019, 07:49:08 AM
Officiating wasn't spectacular in the second game either. Not sure there was enough to overturn the Edelman muffed punt call and Brady got one of the worst roughing the passer calls I've ever seen.

I thought there was enough on the punt. Looked clear to me there was no contact. The problem I have with the Roughing the passer call is two fold. One there was at least holding if not pass interference by the Chiefs against the receiver. Two whilst the swipe missed the helmet Brady then gets softly hit on the head by the defenders elbow. It's a very small touch and shouldn't be a foul but my understanding was that any contact to the head was a penalty. QB's are too well protected in that regard.

All that said I thought the officiating was very poor in both games. Two long conversations in the second game to merely say the Game Clock was right showed me the officials didn't really seem to know what was going on. I'm always at a loss why they split up teams for the playoffs. The criteria should be based on teams of officials not individuals who have never worked together.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

lurganblue

Disgusting no call in the Saints game. They let lots go in the game but that was as blatant and game changing as you can get. Compare that to the flag fest last week v the Eagles and you begin to see the inconsistencies.

In all honesty though the Saints really struggled on offence all evening (apart from a couple of decent drives). As expected, if Thomas was bottled up then a large part of the diversity is taken away.

What was the craic with Gurley?

Minder

Quote from: lurganblue on January 21, 2019, 09:29:36 AM
Disgusting no call in the Saints game. They let lots go in the game but that was as blatant and game changing as you can get. Compare that to the flag fest last week v the Eagles and you begin to see the inconsistencies.

In all honesty though the Saints really struggled on offence all evening (apart from a couple of decent drives). As expected, if Thomas was bottled up then a large part of the diversity is taken away.

Yeah even though it was a terrible call and would have likely ended the game I thought the Rams were a bit better and just have more weapons and as you say a few more ways to beat you, god willing they can beat the Pats. Brees hasn't played well for quite a few weeks now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

Assuming he doesn't get injured between now and then Brady will have played in 17% of all super bowls by the end of the season. I think the discussion about him being theGoat is over but is he the best sportstar of his generation?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Estimator

Quote from: David McKeown on January 21, 2019, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: gallsman on January 21, 2019, 07:49:08 AM

I thought there was enough on the punt. Looked clear to me there was no contact. The problem I have with the Roughing the passer call is two fold. One there was at least holding if not pass interference by the Chiefs against the receiver. Two whilst the swipe missed the helmet Brady then gets softly hit on the head by the defenders elbow. It's a very small touch and shouldn't be a foul but my understanding was that any contact to the head was a penalty. QB's are too well protected in that regard.

Sky showed clips from the Vikings/Saints NFC Championship game 2010(?), and highlighted some of the hits that Favre received in that game, commenting that it seems so long ago that defences could legally hit the QB in such a manner.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Rossie11

Quote from: Minder on January 21, 2019, 09:36:59 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on January 21, 2019, 09:29:36 AM

Yeah even though it was a terrible call and would have likely ended the game I thought the Rams were a bit better and just have more weapons and as you say a few more ways to beat you, god willing they can beat the Pats. Brees hasn't played well for quite a few weeks now

Ben Watson was huge loss. Would have given them an extra weapon on the 1st 2 drives when they should have came away with at least 10pts rather than 6.

Kurtz

Quote from: David McKeown on January 21, 2019, 09:52:23 AM
Assuming he doesn't get injured between now and then Brady will have played in 17% of all super bowls by the end of the season. I think the discussion about him being theGoat is over but is he the best sportstar of his generation?

Pats have 12 draft picks too
Its gonna be a long 2019 for all the haters

Minder

Back where it all started v the Rams, I wonder will they film the Rams walk through again?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Kurtz

Quote from: Minder on January 21, 2019, 01:30:42 PM
Back where it all started v the Rams, I wonder will they film the Rams walk through again?

They have a saying in the US
If you ain't cheating some way then you ain't tryin hard enough

Taylor

Goff clearly got pulled on the face mask and this was also clearly missed.
The officials just seemed incompetent and why they dont use the same teams for these games is strange.

BTW the league allegedly saying to Payton straight after the game it should have been called was really hanging the referees out to dry

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on January 21, 2019, 03:48:35 PM
The officials just seemed incompetent and why they dont use the same teams for these games is strange.

BTW the league allegedly saying to Payton straight after the game it should have been called was really hanging the referees out to dry

It was hanging them out, but Jaysus. It wasn't even close.

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 21, 2019, 03:48:35 PM

It was hanging them out, but Jaysus. It wasn't even close.

Agree it wasnt even close but do they tell every coach straight after the game if the coach calls them?

If Rams lose and McVeigh calls do they say it should have been a face mask call?

How many decisions back or how important of a game does it need to be before they inform the coaches?

Sets a dangerous precedent.