More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: glens abu on November 13, 2012, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2012, 02:01:56 PM
OK. Instead of whataboutery and conjecture I'm going to put it as plainly as I can for you glensabu

1. James McClean was perfectly entitled to not wear his poppy and the current outrage by the establishment in the UK is wrong.

2. The Black family are EQUALLY entitled not to want a convicted IRA member to attend the funeral of their Father. None of us know him or the family so to assume they are bigots is just ignorance, just as those who are slagging off McClean are equally ignorant.

Lynchbhoy I think the OO is an organisation with a lot of flaws. One thing they are not flawed in is recruitment and community. I know strictly they are not like the Catholic Church but I think if you're born into a protestant family you'll be attending marches and having your picture taken with your Dad wearing his sash etc. from a very young age.

Likewise I think a number of these people grow up to realise the harm the OO do to Catholic communities and would not want to be seen the way they are by a lot of people. Surely there are people in the organisation trying to reform it and it would be unfair of us to label every single one of them a bigot.

You lost the arguement regarding what you accused me off and now going over old ground about the Blacks.Did you not see you are not allowed to mention bigots anymore so think you should just let it drop.

How did I lose that again?!

glens abu

Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2012, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: glens abu on November 13, 2012, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2012, 02:01:56 PM
OK. Instead of whataboutery and conjecture I'm going to put it as plainly as I can for you glensabu

1. James McClean was perfectly entitled to not wear his poppy and the current outrage by the establishment in the UK is wrong.

2. The Black family are EQUALLY entitled not to want a convicted IRA member to attend the funeral of their Father. None of us know him or the family so to assume they are bigots is just ignorance, just as those who are slagging off McClean are equally ignorant.

Lynchbhoy I think the OO is an organisation with a lot of flaws. One thing they are not flawed in is recruitment and community. I know strictly they are not like the Catholic Church but I think if you're born into a protestant family you'll be attending marches and having your picture taken with your Dad wearing his sash etc. from a very young age.

Likewise I think a number of these people grow up to realise the harm the OO do to Catholic communities and would not want to be seen the way they are by a lot of people. Surely there are people in the organisation trying to reform it and it would be unfair of us to label every single one of them a bigot.

You lost the arguement regarding what you accused me off and now going over old ground about the Blacks.Did you not see you are not allowed to mention bigots anymore so think you should just let it drop.

How did I lose that again?!

trying to equate James McClean to the Blacks.

screenexile

Oh and here my point all along was that you shouldn't be calling a grieving family bigots. Nothing you have said has proven me wrong.

Though some comparison I made to try and illustrate my point seems to have given you a moral victory . . . good man!! Sure go on McClean's Twitter account there and get some other made up quote to prove me wrong again, oh no that's right he doesn't have one!

Applesisapples

I think it is unfair to label the Blacks as bigots. They lost a father and a husband. But the point I keep making is that their refusal of the hand of friendship from SF is indicative of the position that many unionists are in. Nothing has changed, this is a unionist state, part of the UK etc. And whilst many nationalists are ambivalent at best on the Union, they do want respect for for their Irish identity and symbols. A respect that is denied by Unionists/Loyalists and their polititicans daily. Whilst the Blacks position is understandable by snubbing Martin McGuinness they are snubbing the leader of nationalism. And whilst I have no specfic evidence that the Black family have had interaction with loyalist paramilitary elements, there are ample examples of DUP/UUP/OO interaction with them and an exceptance even of a private visit would have signified to the mindless morons who shot Mr Black that the community as a whole is moving on. But I accept again, easy for me to say.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2012, 04:48:40 PM
I think it is unfair to label the Blacks as bigots. They lost a father and a husband. But the point I keep making is that their refusal of the hand of friendship from SF is indicative of the position that many unionists are in. Nothing has changed, this is a unionist state, part of the UK etc. And whilst many nationalists are ambivalent at best on the Union, they do want respect for for their Irish identity and symbols. A respect that is denied by Unionists/Loyalists and their polititicans daily. Whilst the Blacks position is understandable by snubbing Martin McGuinness they are snubbing the leader of nationalism. And whilst I have no specfic evidence that the Black family have had interaction with loyalist paramilitary elements, there are ample examples of DUP/UUP/OO interaction with them and an exceptance even of a private visit would have signified to the mindless morons who shot Mr Black that the community as a whole is moving on. But I accept again, easy for me to say.

What hand of friendship did the Sinn Fein councillors in Dungannon extend to the Black family ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Olaf

It certainly is very very  easy  for you to say that , all too easy.  Why are you referring to your absence of specific  evidence regarding the Black family interacting with loyalist paramilitaries ? In fact why refer to that  at all in your post if it is inconsequential and of no value?? ?

Maguire01

Quote from: Saffrongael on November 13, 2012, 08:36:50 AM
Sinn Fein voted against opening a book of condolence in Dungannon council for David Black.
Yes, it seems that this act - would you call it "unchristian"? - is being ignored.

charlieTully

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 13, 2012, 08:22:19 PM
Sinn Fein voted against opening a book of condolence in Dungannon council for David Black.
Yes, it seems that this act - would you call it "unchristian"? - is being ignored.

ah so it was all about a 32 county christian republic.

Maguire01

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2012, 08:26:46 PM

See the quotation marks? Read back over the last few pages.

charlieTully

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 13, 2012, 08:28:01 PM

yes and your point is?

Maguire01

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2012, 08:33:38 PM

yes and your point is?
If opposing someone's attendance at a funeral is considered "unchristian", then surely opposing a book of condolences must also be considered "unchristian".

Maguire01

You honestly believe that it would make a blind bit of difference in this regard?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would think that the dissident threat would as reported in local news today justify an extra 1000 police officers on our streets. Do people really think that this will actually have any success? I think its more about creating jobs for the boys.

charlieTully

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 13, 2012, 08:39:58 PM

yes and your point is?
If opposing someone's attendance at a funeral is considered "unchristian", then surely opposing a book of condolences must also be considered "unchristian".

i have no recollection of ever reading about Christianty in  SF manifesto, it should never have been bought up in the thread about unchristian acts etc for the family not wanting SF there. it was political. but it time to park the bus on this topic now imo.

Maguire01

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 13, 2012, 08:39:58 PM

yes and your point is?

i have no recollection of ever reading about Christianty in  SF manifesto, it should never have been bought up in the thread about unchristian acts etc for the family not wanting SF there. it was political. but it time to park the bus on this topic now imo.
Bye then.